HDPVR 630 - Version 04.06 Owners Discussion - Page 32 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #466 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-04-21, 11:51 AM
Veteran

My 630 had the frozen clock yesterday. I don't even use it to record anymore since I can't rely on it. Yet it still locked up solid.

I'll give the "coders" at SD one more chance with the next firmware update. If they can't get the receiver to reliably perform even the most basic functions, I will bid them adieu.

I am not holding my breath. I find it amazing that here we are in 2011 and they can't get a PVR to work right after 7 years of trying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #467 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-04-21, 10:14 PM
Veteran

I just find everything about this odd. I have experienced pixellation on only one recording over the past 7 months. I haven't had a single lock up since the new firmware, and I've only ever had 1 missed recording (which was 6 months ago). I never could reproduce the favs list causing a crash.

Shouldn't all boxes show the same bugs? I do daily recordings, my HDD is usually ~70% full, sometimes I do repeated fastforward/rewind/skip ahead/back just to see if I can make it crash, and it only ever has once.
Is this the result of bad QC? And, yes I know none of you want to read about how my 630 doesn't have these problems, and you probably don't believe me anyway.
post #468 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-04-21, 11:29 PM

Strange glitch. Start a show in the PVR, and it jumps ahead 30 seconds. Not all the time, either.

post #469 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-04-21, 11:31 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I never could reproduce the favs list causing a crash.
This is the only action that causes a reboot on my unit. I have a favorites list which is my "default" guide. If I change back to "all channels", my 630 will reboot.
post #470 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-04-22, 04:02 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ77 View Post
I just find everything about this odd. I have experienced pixellation on only one recording over the past 7 months. I haven't had a single lock up since the new firmware, and I've only ever had 1 missed recording (which was 6 months ago). I never could reproduce the favs list causing a crash.

Shouldn't all boxes show the same bugs? I do daily recordings, my HDD is usually ~70% full, sometimes I do repeated fastforward/rewind/skip ahead/back just to see if I can make it crash, and it only ever has once.
Is this the result of bad QC? And, yes I know none of you want to read about how my 630 doesn't have these problems, and you probably don't believe me anyway.
It could very well depend on the hard drive and it's firmware version, or the firmware version of the board/processor in the 630. It could depend on the fact most of us have maybe 10-20% full HD's but you have 70% full. It could depend on the fact that "live" is enabled but we don't have it "enabled".
All sorts of things cause "bugs". I wouldn't change anything if I were you and don't "brag" too much.
post #471 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-04-22, 04:03 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krydor View Post
Strange glitch. Start a show in the PVR, and it jumps ahead 30 seconds. Not all the time, either.
Has happened many times to me, but not lately. You wonder why you missed the beginning and then you go back and there it is!
post #472 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-04-22, 09:25 AM

Last night I have the hockey game programmed to record automatically. It's a recurring timer that has worked flawlesly all season. Although I'm home watching the game live I always let the recording happen it's easier plus it gives the extra protection in case I have to pause for a while.

Anyway during a commercial I hit guide and DO NOT see the recording red dot in the channel I was looking at (240HD). SO starts the trouble shooting:

0. Look in the PVR listing and sure enough nothing is being recorded.
1. Signal strength: A+
2. Timers: all there: no conflict (Hockey is number 1 anyway)
3. Plenty of room on the Hard Drive (was 60% full)
4. Guide data appears complete
5. Info on the game shows LIVE & NEW

WTF? If I wasn't home I would have missed that game and come home to nothing.

I do not trust this 630.

EDIT: After the game last night I did a front panel reset. This morning I checked and the 630 is still NOT finding any programs to record when there are lots of NEW & LIVE programs to record on 240(RDSHD). I had to delete the timer and recreate it for it to detect future recordings. I'm starting to do manual timers in my old faithful 530 as backup for the rest of the playoffs.
post #473 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-04-22, 02:51 PM
Veteran

I just installed two new 630s. Wish me luck. I noticed last night that several shows did not get recorded (zero length) but then noticed that the firmware rev was ancient. 4.06 is on both this morning.

One issue with new timers is that the guide program data is sometimes not correct. This seems to be more common with some stations than others. Canadian specialty stations are the worst for missing or inaccurate program data.

The 630 reminds me of the Bell 9200 when it was first released. It took years to get the bugs out of that PVR. It astounds me that these devices would be released this way. It certainly would not be tolerated with other consumer electronics.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #474 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-04-23, 02:14 PM

Had not used the DVR in about 2 weeks. Flipped to the input on my TV. The screen saver/logo was on.

Hit Guide.

The following notice came up on the screen. "Your authorization has expired. A receiver refresh is required to restore your programming. You can initiate a receiver refresh on the self service section of our website, though the automated phone system or by contracting your service provider.”

Audio of channel - obviously, no video.

Hit Channel up and the picture came back and the notice went away.

HUH
post #475 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-04-23, 05:31 PM
QCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVFanAtic View Post
Hit Guide.

The following notice came up on the screen. "Your authorization has expired. A receiver refresh is required to restore your programming. You can initiate a receiver refresh on the self service section of our website, though the automated phone system or by contracting your service provider.”
It's a programming bug, no big issue, we will just have this happen from time to time until new firmware comes out.
post #476 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-04-25, 12:21 PM

I've only had two spontaneous reboots, but both times this has caused a massive error and all my recording events are gone.

Nicely the mail icon pops up and I get a message warning me that my recording events are gone (PVR ERROR). If not for that message I wouldn't have noticed right away since it was only a simple little reboot, not forewarned by any problems or issues.

It's really a big pain in the bum to reset a bunch of timers.

My signal levels are good, I don't have any old timers set for programs that aren't on and I have no shows set to all eps/all channels.

So what gives?

Anyone else getting the big, bad PVR ERROR reboot?

ATV3 / Unblock-US / Netflix / HuluPlus / Samsung LNT3242H
post #477 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-03, 06:43 AM

Anyone else experience bad pixilation on CBS last night (Monday)? Tuned in around 8 pm and it was breaking up fairly regularly, even though the local skies seemed to be reasonably clear at that time. Didn't get a chance to check my other receivers, just turned tv off and went to do something else.
post #478 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-04, 06:35 AM

Well ever since I had this PVR I have always had the PVR in my drop ceiling hidden away and have been using its RF capabilities. All throughout this time I have always had very bad lag when navigating through the menues. Sometimes the buttons would stick or sometimes I would have to press multiple times for it to work. This was the number one main complaint with this PVR. I had come to the conclusion that this was normal. Well last week I purchased a Harmony 900 universal remote and they use what they call a RF blaster. The RF blaster is controlled by the RF signal of my remote and transmits a IR signal to my PVR via a little IR transmitter placed in front of the PVR in my drop ceiling. Well let me tell you that the control of my PVR is NIGHT AND DAY better. No more lag, no more mutliple button presses, no more missed ket presses, just total stability. I am writing this because I am sure some of you are experiencing these problems while using Shaw's RF system of this PVR. Shaw Direct you really need to fix your RF component of this PVR because I tell you its a completely different experience using this Harmony remote with your PVR.
post #479 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-04, 10:17 AM

^^^ The only problem with your solution is that the remote cost more than the PVR. I suspect over 90% of those with RF capable SD units do not use the RF, only IR

Interesting comments though.
post #480 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-05-04, 10:30 AM

Yes the remote on these units is not very powerful, although I have two
630's and one is fine while the other one is not. I'm sure i'll have to order a new remote in the not too distant future as the buttons will be worn out pressing so hard on them. Oh ya, i'm only sitting about 5 feet from the 630 unit with no obstructions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in