HDPVR 630 - Version 04.06 Owners Discussion - Page 26 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #376 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 08:41 AM

The black screen caught up with me last week. I think it's the HDMI 'handshake' thing. I had to re-set as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #377 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 03:04 PM

My box is *completely* messed up now. *Severe* pixellation, mostly black screen, no audio, can't access the menu (managed to get to PVR list once), vertical green bar on the left side, front panel reset didn't fix it.

edit: my signals are both at 55-56
post #378 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 630 Support View Post
OPTIONS 4-2:
- HDMI Audio
-- If connected directly to a TV, use "PCM"
-- If connected directly to a home theatre that does HDMI audio decoding, use "Pass Through"

(The default "Auto" setting works fine in most cases, but sometimes the TV doesn't throw back the correct preferred audio mode which can lead to delayed or lost audio on some devices or in some cases.)

- Digital Audio
-- Should always be on "Dolby Digital".
The settings as suggested by SD 630 Support did not fix my issue, unfortunately. I had it happen twice today so far, so I put HDMI Audio back to "Auto" from "PCM."

It seems to be the same -- the TV signal itself has audio. But anything I try to playback doesn't have audio. It doesn't matter the channel it was recorded on or when it was recorded. There's simply no audio.

When it happened this morning, nothing else was recording at the time. So I went to the channel of the last recording I had on my list, left the receiver on that channel and then the audio started working again when I tried to playback something. When it happened the second time, I was recording something at the time. I went to the channel that I was recording on, then the audio worked again when I tried to playback something.

I think it has to do with HDMI, but I need the component outputs for my RF modulator to be able to pump a signal through to the kitchen that has audio. Where's a coax output when you need one. :-) So I'm stuck with the HDMI outputs, which should work of course.

So my current setting are:
Audio Connections: TV Heavy
HDMI Audio: Auto
Analog Audio: Surround
Digital Audio: Dolby Digital

Honestly, I don't know much about these settings, I must admit. My other 630 (as this is a replacement) didn't have this issue at all, so I don't know if this is a quirk of this particular receiver, or if it has something to do with the new software. Any help would be appreciated.

The Hans

post #379 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-23, 10:58 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I need the component outputs for my RF modulator to be able to pump a signal through to the kitchen
Couldn't you connect the PVR to the kitchen using the composite audio/video connections and use the component video and digital audio for your main set?
post #380 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-24, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbracing24 View Post
Couldn't you connect the PVR to the kitchen using the composite audio/video connections and use the component video and digital audio for your main set?
We actually thought about that, but we don't have a digital audio cable and we don't think there's a connection on our TV for that. So, yeah, we're thinking about that. But having the HDMI connection perform correctly would be the preferred fix.
post #381 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-24, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Hi TheHans,

Just to clarify:

1) In all cases where audio is lost via HDMI, you still get audio in the kitchen. Is this correct?

Let's also check OPTIONS 4-1 and ensure:
"Audio Language" is set to ENGLISH
"Descriptive Video" is set to OFF

Additionally, check OPTIONS 4-5 and ensure you are NOT using "HDMI" or "Native" Output Format.

What's the make/model of your TV? Let us know and we'll see if we've got one here. I don't believe anyone else has reported this issue.

Thanks!
post #382 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-24, 01:43 PM

is there any fix in the works for the pixelation? with my old 505 i didn't have the massive pixelation i see (especially in fast moving action) that i seem to get on the 630

other than that the 630 has been pretty good for me thus far (knock on wood)
post #383 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-24, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 630 Support View Post
Hi TheHans,

Just to clarify:

1) In all cases where audio is lost via HDMI, you still get audio in the kitchen. Is this correct?

Let's also check OPTIONS 4-1 and ensure:
"Audio Language" is set to ENGLISH
"Descriptive Video" is set to OFF

Additionally, check OPTIONS 4-5 and ensure you are NOT using "HDMI" or "Native" Output Format.

What's the make/model of your TV? Let us know and we'll see if we've got one here. I don't believe anyone else has reported this issue.

Thanks!
I actually don't know if I get audio in the kitchen. I'm going to check that out the next time it happens, but I suspect there will be audio there. When this happens, the audio is only missing on playback items. There's still audio on any channel being watched directly. The TV is a Sharp Aquos LC46D64U. I checked the settings you mentioned, and all are correct.
post #384 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-26, 12:43 PM

I did not have the "black screen of death" prior to the update, but now it happens pretty much every time I turn on my 630.
More frustrating is the fact that it appears to be messing up some of my recordings.

Like others have said a front panel reset fixes the problem, but if you have a recording in progress it's not a good option.

For the last few days I have been leaving the 630 turned on while muting my AVR which appears to be working so far....

Just wondering 630 Support - have you guys come across the Black Screen and if so, is there fix in the works? Thanks!
post #385 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-26, 01:16 PM
Veteran

Question

I wonder if you guys that are having so much trouble have done a factory reset? I did a factory reset (full whipe) right after downloading the update back on Feb.21st and started out fresh. So far I've only had one spontanious reboot, one black screen with component cables, one audio problem while trying to watch a recording and something else I can't remember which have all required front panel resets. But basicly I've had very little trouble with my 630 as compared to before the update and factory reset. I know the factory reset is a pain in the ass to do but it just took a couple of hours to download everything and reset the timers again. I think short term pain would be good for long term gain. Just my 3 cents with HST.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #386 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-27, 04:31 AM
Veteran

Well..my replacement refurb of my replacement refurb which replaced one of my new 630's arrived today and so far no pixellation or other problems(now I am jinxed).
Note to techs: There are things called twist ties or nylon ties so you don't really have to wind the cord so tight and stick the end through the loop so the customer is concerned about cutting the insulation off while untying the cord. The twist tie is the little wire thingy dangling loose on the tightly wound cord on the power supply I received today!

To answer the factory reset from my point of view. I did a reset on the first 630 and it did nothing for me, so when they were insisting the refurb replacement needed a reset I told them to stuff it and they finally sent out another replacement.
One other note. The phone call to activate this latest went really well, other than they were going to do a "load". When I said it already had 04.06 he backed off.
post #387 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-27, 11:29 AM

snow and temporary loss of hadmi handshake

This weekend the litany of 605/630 issues got longer.

I was having intermittent snow (on screen- not outside... just to clarify ) followed by signal and hdmi handshake loss.

Changing the input on my sony surround sound and back again 'fixed' the issue. But.... what is going on here?

Shaw Direct DVR830 / DVR 605/ 605, Sony Xbr65" 950E", Sony XBR4 850d, Oppo 980H, Yamaha 7.1 Surround, PS4! WDLive
post #388 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-27, 02:51 PM
Veteran

Well I have discovered a new problem with the audio. If I'm watching CPAC (291 on the advanced lineup) and then go and select something to watch from my PVR list I lose my audio on the recorded shows. No matter what show I select from the PVR list I get no audio. Did a front panel reset and it did not fix it. However if the background channel is some other channel than CPAC then the audio is now present on my recordings.

Can anyone else try this on CPAC and see if they get no audio on a PVR playback?

~Gary
post #389 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-27, 03:07 PM
Rookie

well i just tried it GaryE and sure enough....no audio on anything recorded.....really weird....
post #390 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-27, 03:19 PM
Veteran

Thank you... thought my pvr was failing but I guess it's a 4.06 problem. Did a couple of resets, unplugged the box and nothing fixed it other than changing to a different background channel. I wonder why it is happening with CPAC?

~Gary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in