HDPVR 630 - Version 04.06 Owners Discussion - Page 22 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #316 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-11, 09:08 PM
QCK

^^^ +1 very strange, I did a online re-hot and have not seen it since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #317 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-12, 04:29 AM
Veteran

3 different news channels, cbc hd, global sd(336), and CTV HD news all were terribly broken up and glitching all over (recorded). Tested with Global on late night news and the recording is perfect and the live watching was perfect, so I can't believe the garbage quality a few hours earlier(no snow, rain or anything of that type at the time) ( A V ship hovering??)
post #318 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-12, 08:16 PM

I may have a solution to the missing recordings during vacation syndrome - the sun. While watching live TV last Sunday, the picture began to pixilate, got worse and then went blank. I checked signal levels - they were zero. 20 minutes later, still no picture, signal levels back to normal. After trying some other things, did a front panel reset and all was fine. Monday it was set to record curling morning, afternoon and evening draws. When I got home from golfing I checked and the red recording light was on for the evening draw but when I turned on the TV, no picture, and though the afternoon draw showed on the PVR list, it showed zero time. Morning draw recorded fine, evening draw not. Same next day. When I checked about Solar interference I found that this was the time for it in S CA. It was earlier up north. So the problem was that after the signal interruption, the 630 did not recover. As I said, this may be the explanation.

My experience with the 04 is that it fixed one of the most annoying problems that I had, the skip back to the beginning when attempting to skip forward during replay. However, I have had more spontaneous reboots (had almost none before) and now have another mysterious jump during replay. Sometimes when trying to skip back 10 seconds it will skip back about one minute. At first I thought I was imagining it but when I checked one time when it seemed to happen, sure enough, it was a big jump back. I haven't seen this problem reported by anyone else and would be interested to know if it is happening to others. For sure it is not as bad as going back to the beginning but it is a glitch.

I also notice that fast forwarding to the second speed often causes a picture freeze which can be fixed by pressing play and trying again. If I leave it frozen for a while it begins to jump forward sporatically. Others have reported different strange behavior with ff but this is all that I have seen.

There has been some speed up of the delay in the time between remote press and the action, but I find this still a problem. I have used Bell PVRs since they came out and am used to when you press GUIDE, you get guide now, press skip back 4 times quickly, you are there. I guess it may be something I'll just have to get used to, but when the delay seems too long, I am never sure whether the message was actually sent or not.

I have also had the no picture syndrome when turning on but have always managed to fix it by switching inputs on the TV.

post #319 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-13, 11:14 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzink View Post
3 different news channels, cbc hd, global sd(336), and CTV HD news all were terribly broken up and glitching all over (recorded). Tested with Global on late night news and the recording is perfect and the live watching was perfect, so I can't believe the garbage quality a few hours earlier(no snow, rain or anything of that type at the time) ( A V ship hovering??)
Pixellation started again and unwatchable on most channels. Have now done the famous factory reset with SD CS on a 630! If this gets bad again I will insist on a replacement.
post #320 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-13, 10:36 PM

Drop outs with a Home Theatre Receiver using HDMI

Here is a problem that I've been experiencing and it seems much worse since the new firmware. When I use hdmi from the 630 though my Onkyo TX-SR607 receiver I experience drop outs that are very persistent. Since the upgrade in firmware it is unwatchable.

I can use component cables and everything is ok.

Also when I bypass the Onkyo receiver and go directly form the 630 to my TV, everything is fine.

I would like to use the hdmi cable through my receiver. Does anyone have an idea what I can do?

Thanks
post #321 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-14, 03:29 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzink View Post
Pixellation started again and unwatchable on most channels. Have now done the famous factory reset with SD CS on a 630! If this gets bad again I will insist on a replacement.
As of tonight, getting a replacement since the problems continued.

Regarding the above hdmi post. The CSR I was talking to tonight touched on HDMI and I got the distinct feeling if I had been using HDMI for the 630's he was going to insist I use Component. That would not have been a good thing. As it was I use HDMI for a PS3 and he insisted I unplug the PS3 for a while and turn off and on the problem 630. This seems to hint to me that they may have some serious problems with HDMI!!?? Not good.
post #322 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-14, 10:08 AM

As a Bell customer wanting badly to switch to Shaw it is a disappointment to see that the new update didn't fix all the issues and the problems still seem substantial enough to make me not want to switch.

As for the above poster, this si 2011, HDMI is a must. I had friends over last night and they were shocked at how clear my TV and PS3 looked when watching/ playing HD content.

They have the same set up, HDTV but use component cable instead of HDMI. HDMI is a must.
post #323 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-14, 11:25 AM

Something new for me with the 630. I recorded Blue Bloods and Breakout Kings on Thursday night. When I looked in my PVR list I saw both shows recorded, but Breakout Kings was at 57 minutes because I just caught it just after it had started. I went to watch them Saturday, and both shows had no symbols but were both now at zero minutes. I did a front panel reboot, then went to the PVR list and now both shows had the broken recording icon. Needless to say, I couldn't watch either show so I just deleted them out.
post #324 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-14, 03:48 PM

Manual Recordings

This now works after 4.06 but unfortunately they are now all an hour late after the switch to Daylight Savings. I would assume when the clock on the system changed the timers would still be correct but Market Call was not recorded today and is set for 2:30 tomorrow instead of the normal 1:30 when it airs.

I only have two recurring manual timers so it is not a big deal but still a flaw that should be addressed.
post #325 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-15, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsnbrd View Post

My experience with the 04 is that it fixed one of the most annoying problems that I had, the skip back to the beginning when attempting to skip forward during replay. However, I have had more spontaneous reboots (had almost none before) and now have another mysterious jump during replay. Sometimes when trying to skip back 10 seconds it will skip back about one minute. At first I thought I was imagining it but when I checked one time when it seemed to happen, sure enough, it was a big jump back. I haven't seen this problem reported by anyone else and would be interested to know if it is happening to others. For sure it is not as bad as going back to the beginning but it is a glitch.

I also notice that fast forwarding to the second speed often causes a picture freeze which can be fixed by pressing play and trying again. If I leave it frozen for a while it begins to jump forward sporatically. Others have reported different strange behavior with ff but this is all that I have seen.

There has been some speed up of the delay in the time between remote press and the action, but I find this still a problem. I have used Bell PVRs since they came out and am used to when you press GUIDE, you get guide now, press skip back 4 times quickly, you are there. I guess it may be something I'll just have to get used to, but when the delay seems too long, I am never sure whether the message was actually sent or not.

I have also had the no picture syndrome when turning on but have always managed to fix it by switching inputs on the TV.
I've noticed the same things. Both pre 04 (going back to beginning) and post 04 - the menu delay and skip back glitch. The skip forward is very fast which is a bonus. I consider these to be pretty minor issues considering what we've had in the past.
post #326 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-15, 04:13 AM
Veteran

Sure handled the Daylight Saving switch well on scheduled recordings!!
Quite a change from the 530.
post #327 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-15, 09:25 AM

I've noticed that some SD channels seem to be more subject to pixilation problems than HD channels. This past Saturday morning I was watching something on A & E's standard def feed, which started to break up. I switched over to the HD feed and voila... no more break-up. Has anyone else noticed anything similar?

I recorded a show on Showcase Sunday night... SD feed... and it was filled with break-ups even though the weather was reasonably clear. Wondering if I should stick to the HD feeds. I always assumed that HD required more power and a clearer signal.

Opinions?
post #328 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-15, 09:46 AM
QCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandher57 View Post
I always assumed that HD required more power and a clearer signal.

Opinions?
It sounds like your dish is not aligned to its optimum for the 107.3W satellite that gives you most of the SD channels your are receiving. You should almost never have pixilation on any SD channels unless there is rain/snow. Look at your signal strengths in the settings menu. Your SD channels should be at a minimum Ecb of 8.0 and preferably over 9.0 for most channels. Check your dish, make sure nothing is loose. Then call Shaw Direct and complain about your situation. They should come out and re-align your dish for you free of charge.
post #329 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-15, 10:10 PM

Wondefull. Another spontaneous reboot for absolutely no good reason. Just watching TV... Didn't even have the remote control in my hand.
post #330 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-16, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmosis View Post
I am REALLY happy with the update and everything seems to work much better. No missing recordings, no need to reboot after adding/removing recordings and the 'most excellent' performance improvements (Deleting recordings/scheduling-rescheduling etc) are significant IMHO

SD_630_SUPPORT: I did have a problem last night where audio/video were fullscreen but when I tried to use any function where the video was in the video window (Guide, DVR List, Options), the video was displayed in the video window correctly, but everything else was black. I had to reboot in order to get proper operation again.

Looking at the diagnostic log, I am no longer rebooting in background anymore but there are pages and pages (About 200 pages) of: "TSI section filter: error caching buffer - dropping:S_errno_EAGAIN hal_db_filter_mgr_neptune.cpp:error - saving TSI data" (no timestamp) error messages. I know this error was causing the neptune task to get suspended in the previous release ... may be related to this and other problems being reported.
add me to this list for the same problem: pvr list, guide, options, anything and everything goes to black except for video, which plants itself upper left.
Exit will bring video back to full screen, but no guide features work, and pressing any button relevant to bringing up a text screen results in top-left video, all black everywhere else.
I received 4.06 almost the day it was released, but this problem just appeared in the last two days, which is odd, since the update was a month ago?
The ONLY way to repair is to hard-reset with front button, but usually after accessing just ONE program from the PVR list, the problem is back again.

Here's some info that may help:
Until a couple of days ago, I hadn't set-up the guide to hide channels, nor had I set-up a password to lock-out channels I don't subscribe to.
Once I did that, the problems started appearing.
PVR usage is close to 70%

has anyone ever seen a Tivo work? 10 year old technology - rock solid. Cmon Shaw - get it together, and get it together fast. Netflix is here, soon to be followed by Amazon.ca video on demand, etc, etc.

A DVR that is this trouble-laden at this point of the game, ESPECIALLY one for $400!!!! is absolutely UNACCEPTABLE.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in