HDPVR 630 - Version 04.06 Owners Discussion - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-16, 08:30 AM

Thanks for all your help SD360Support!

Dan

Shaw Direct DVR830 / DVR 605/ 605, Sony Xbr65" 950E", Sony XBR4 850d, Oppo 980H, Yamaha 7.1 Surround, PS4! WDLive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-16, 09:52 AM

Seems I received the update overnight....just wondering what OSS Attributions is?.....
post #18 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-16, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 630 Support View Post
What has changed with this download for the HDPVR 630?
Nearly all parts of the software have been refined for a smoother and more consistent experience. Highlights include:
I am going to assume by this statement that there are a lot more fixes or enhancemnts than what is listed in the orig post.

post #19 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-16, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp01 View Post
I am going to assume by this statement that there are a lot more fixes or enhancemnts than what is listed in the orig post.
Correct. Reboots are no longer seen in automated stress testing, bench testing, or the Field Trial.

The system will still reboot automatically (to keep you from having to get off the couch to Front Panel reset it) if an error is detected. As with all software, I'm sure there are still ways to "crash" it and get it to reboot. If you find such a way, my advice is to let us know and then stop doing that.

For those seeing instability immediately following the download, remember that the receiver is like a computer. When you first log into Windows, your computer usually runs at its slowest. It's starting processes, installing updates, verifying files, etc. If you hammer on it during this time, it's usually pretty easy to lock it up.

Give the receiver a chance to complete the post-upgrade migration and file and database verification. It's also reloading Guide data at the same time, adding to the load. The same goes immediately following a reboot.

Beyond this, if you're still having problems, we're now in a position to look beyond the software as the cause of the issue. We'd initiate troubleshooting and run through everything to try and find the source of the issue and get it resolved for you.
post #20 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-16, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieDoin View Post
....just wondering what OSS Attributions is?.....
It's a placeholder for future Motorola legal credit/licence type information. It's just designed to display pages and pages of text.

The Video Adjustments menu it replaced can now be found under "Test Pattern" in OPTIONS 4-5.
post #21 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-16, 10:56 AM

This is good news.

Will you be able to have more than 50 PVR recordings set or is that still a limitation?
post #22 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-16, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbroke View Post
Will the better tuner management solve the pixelization issue?
It's possible that it may be resolved under some circumstances, but we've still seen it under 04.06. We'd refer you to this post on the current workarounds. This is still being worked on.

Quote:
- Skip forward sometime acting as skip backwards
This still exists, where it'll sometimes move back 4-5 seconds the first time it's used. Simply press SKIP FWD again to move forward.

Quote:
- Skip fwd sometimes bring your right back to the start of the program
No one was ever able to reproduce this one reliably in order to figure out what's causing it. That said, we haven't seen it in the last few releases so fingers are crossed that it's been resolved as a by-product of other changes.
post #23 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-16, 11:09 AM

What about the issue with the video window shrinking to the corner when there is a discrepancy between the format of the show you have been watching on PVR, and the channel you are currently tuned to (HD/SD)?? Sorry if I am not explaining this very well.

Has that been addressed in this update?

Is external HD recording still in the works?

Thanks for all your help and patience in reading and replying to this forum.
post #24 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-16, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post
Will you be able to have more than 50 PVR recordings set or is that still a limitation?
There hasn't ever been a hard-coded limit. Given all the changes, you should not have any issue going over 50 Recording Events.

As always, keeping your PVR/Options menu up-to-date by clearing out old shows you no longer want to record or that are no longer airing will result in best performance. (For example, I just went through and cleared out The Amazing Race 17, Survivor: Nicaragua, Spartacus: Blood and Sand, etc.).
post #25 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-16, 11:17 AM

Good to hear.

I recall you saying memory (or the way memory was being used) was an issue wth the amount of PVR recordings you can have (and still run smoothly).

I assume the memory allocation is updated to be more efficient? Also, is there the possibility of adding more memory in the future to these PVR's if it turns out that physical memory is the rot of the problem?
post #26 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-16, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandher57 View Post
What about the issue with the video window shrinking to the corner when there is a discrepancy between the format of the show you have been watching on PVR, and the channel you are currently tuned to (HD/SD)?? Sorry if I am not explaining this very well.

Has that been addressed in this update?
Yes. That was caused by having the 4x3 Override enabled, and playing back a recording in the "opposite" format to the live display channel.

It's been resolved. Some users may still prefer to turn off the 4x3 Override all together and just use the ASPECT button to control the picture. Some visual inconsistencies related to this functionality have also been fixed.

Quote:
Is external HD recording still in the works?
Unfortunately, we can't speak to possible future development activities.
post #27 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-16, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 630 Support View Post

Unfortunately, we can't speak to possible future development activities.

Well...no offense, but since external recording was promised by many CSR's, it SHOULD be spoken of......
post #28 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-16, 01:45 PM
rlb

How about the problem where it automatically switches to a previously viewed channel due to the guide crashing?
post #29 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-16, 03:10 PM

Here is a known problem

What about coming out of a recorded show and NOT landing on that show in the list of shows because another show started recording which changed the list count. This caused potential for deleting wrong recording, thinking that you would want to delete show you just finished watching.

This whole firmware upgrade is still a rumour until I see a target update on my machine
post #30 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-16, 05:02 PM

Quote:
I'm sure there are still ways to "crash" it and get it to reboot. If you find such a way, my advice is to let us know and then stop doing that.
Hahaha.

I'm only laughing because my 630 has worked really well since I bought it.

H/K AVR 1600, SD RTS-P100, Mission 670i, Paradigm C-200, CV Sub-120, Shaw Direct 630, LG 50" Plasma, PS2, PS3

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in