HDPVR 630 - Version 04.06 Owners Discussion - Page 19 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #271 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-07, 11:38 PM

Still convinced that whatever issues there are relate to LOD. Whenever I have it on, I get reboots and lockups. Turn it off and I have zero issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-08, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krydor View Post
Still convinced that whatever issues there are relate to LOD. Whenever I have it on, I get reboots and lockups. Turn it off and I have zero issues.
Been trying to figure out what LOD stands for. Anybody?
post #273 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-08, 06:24 AM
Veteran

Perhaps for you but not for a lot of us, since I never have LOD on, along with many others.

post #274 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-08, 08:01 AM

I don't think it's a LOD issue...I have it turned on and don't have any problems.

On the other hand.....I don't keep a favourites list.
post #275 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-08, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie60 View Post
Been trying to figure out what LOD stands for. Anybody?
'Live On Disk'
For recording live TV - you can turn it on or off.
post #276 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-08, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBlue
Quite often when i change my favorites channels to all channels i get a reboot.
Me too. Thought that the firmware upgrade would address this issue, but no joy.

ATV3 / Unblock-US / Netflix / HuluPlus / Samsung LNT3242H
post #277 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-08, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkev78 View Post
'Live On Disk'
For recording live TV - you can turn it on or off.
Thx, I'll give it a try.
post #278 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-08, 01:14 PM

Question for owners with the new code. Is the unit sufficiently stable now to buy. I almost bought when it first came out but waited a bit and then started to hear about the issues so held off. Are the remaining problems minor annoyances, major annoyances or show stoppers?

LONSat
post #279 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-08, 01:37 PM

IMHO....the responses will differ by the user's experience. I just read a posting from someone who had experienced NO problems at all. I have had a few, but not "show-stoppers". Others have not been so fortunate.
post #280 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-08, 01:42 PM
Veteran

Thumbs up

I would say the new software is much more stable than the software that comes with the PVR. So if you buy it and it only comes with 0.10 or 0.13 then wait for 4.06 which should download overnight or you might be able to force it down. Don't put it through its paces or set up timers until you have 4.06. Prior to the update I would have reboots 1 or 2 times a day. I've had the new software for 2 weeks now and have only had one self reboot and one black screen when I turned on the PVR and still the occasional pixelation. Otherwise it's been fairly smooth sailing.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #281 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-08, 02:13 PM

Observation and Question

This isn't a post about a problem but a question about a feature that I just noticed with the 630 and the current software which I wasn't aware of. I had a 530 since day one of it's release and after the final firmware update it was a fairly stable device for me. One feature which I thought it should be able to do but couldn't was to maintain the live tv buffer while watching a recording. By this I mean if it was set on channel 300 and then switched to a recording after I finished with the recording and dropped back to "real time" the live TV buffer would have been flushed. I often thought it strange that it couldn't maintain the buffer while playing a recording since the channel was never changed and the tuner should still have been connected. A couple of days ago I was surprised to discover the with my 630 the full buffer was intact after watching a recording. I hadn't noticed this with the original version of the 630 software but I could well have missed it. So I was wondering if anyone noticed whether the 630 have always maintained the buffer or was this added with the recent software update? Just curious. Thanks.
post #282 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-08, 02:19 PM

^^^
That's been there since the beginning.
post #283 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-08, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcol View Post
I was wondering if anyone noticed whether the 630 have always maintained the buffer or was this added with the recent software update? Just curious. Thanks.
Hi jcol,

This behaviour is a side-effect of the tuning rebuild, so it's new in 04.06.

Enjoy!
post #284 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-08, 02:46 PM

Still getting reboots if I selfishly click channels too fast.....went on vacation and the unit recorded ONE out of 23 recordings for the week.....so, I'd say no way...this unit is a long way from being stable...
post #285 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-03-08, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Hi HowieDoin,

The missing recordings doesn't make sense. Did the power get shut off to the unit by mistake when you left?

What state was the receiver in when you returned from vacation? (e.g. was it locked up? Was it that PVR/Options showed N/A for all upcoming recordings?)

Which one of your 23 recordings fired? When were you gone? (e.g. Did the receiver only take the update part way through your vacation?)

We've had dozens of receivers running for months now without any missed recordings, so we're looking for details to see what could have caused this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in