HDPVR 630 - Version 04.06 Owners Discussion - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #136 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-24, 10:31 AM

Locked Tuner

I had an interesting thing happen last night.

We were watching a "catch up" recording of American Idol, but when the time hit 8pm when the live show should have ended, the red tuner light stayed on.

We continued watching the Idol recording until it finished without a problem.

However, at about 9pm the tuner light went off. There was nothing on the PVR list that was recording while the red light was on, and no recordings suddenly appeared after 9pm.

It seems there may be some programming in place to detect a locked tuner and reset it?

(running 4.06)

Last edited by drdave; 2011-02-24 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Added software version
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-24, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHans View Post
Hi,
no picture nor sound on the TV.

The Hans
Same here last night. no picture and intermittent sound. it would give audio for a few seconds and then nothing. Not sure how it started I just got the call to come up to investigate. Thought the same as The Hans made sure TV was on correct input. it was. so I tried changing channels, going to the guide menus etc and no response. did a front pannel reset and it came back fine. first time this has happened it was reasonably stable before the update. I just hope it was a one off and wont become an issue.

Dave
VE3DVY
post #138 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-24, 11:01 AM
Rookie

630 died .. after upgrade?

I have a funny feeling that my 630 received the update last night because when I went to watch Idol, I had a black screen and sound only. The recording scheduled for 8pm never happened, and only a power reset this am brought the 630 back to life. Luckily I had a 2nd HD receiver to watch the show, and my 10 year old DVD recorder to catch it. That's right, the 10 year old machine still works but the 1 month old 630 already croaked.

I called tech support, they said don't worry about it. Hmmm, a $400 piece of equipment only a month old died and I shouldn't worry about it. Maybe I'll worry about it next time it doesn't record a show and switch to Bell as much as I hate their customer service, their equipment choices seem better, and do support External HDD's. Or maybe I'll just turf satellite all together, get an HD antena and save about $1,000/yr. Now that sounds like a good idea.

Now that Starchoice is Shaw ... I wonder how long before they just go the way of that other hi-def format that isn't blu-ray.

If they want happy customers ... they should allow people to control when their updates occurr ... because as anyone in software knows, not every upgrade is 'bug-free' and we should have a choice when we upgrade.

post #139 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-24, 12:36 PM

CompEng

I dont think your 630 has died. I think it is just needs a reboot. As posted here numourous times, the reboot will/should restore any problems after the upgrade. I think the analogy was to a windows machine, they often need a system restart after an upgrade.

Shaw Direct DVR830 / DVR 605/ 605, Sony Xbr65" 950E", Sony XBR4 850d, Oppo 980H, Yamaha 7.1 Surround, PS4! WDLive
post #140 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-24, 01:09 PM
Rookie

I'm not a big fan of the comparison to a windows computer. The combinations and permutations of hardware and software is astronomical on a computure. In comparison, the PVR is a simple device with fixed hardware, controlled software and limited input from owners. A reboot once every couple of months I'm okay with but not to the frequency experienced here by many. I don't have to reboot my computer daily just to keep it operational. My point is that the PVR is a controlled environment. There shouldn't be the number of problems we've seen on this board and a reboot really isn't a solution.

Now having said that, the last few weeks before I got the 4.06 upgrade I had taken to rebooting as I walked out the door in the morning and even then I missed the occasional recording. I've stopped that since I received the upgrade on Monday and so far haven't missed a recording. There are still a few glitchs but this seems to be a better firmware version than .13. Lets hope SC can up the frequency of firmware patchs and solve some of these outstanding issues. Other vendors with similar technology seem to be able to do so.
post #141 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-24, 01:12 PM
Member #1

jamesgoodchild, I agree. I have had computers run for long periods of time without incident. 99% of the time, the problems occur after an update or new piece of software.

A PVR should run incident free for long periods of time without rebooting since, as you note, the software is stable and usage is limited.

Having said that, a firmware update is a significant change so a complete reboot is not unreasonable and probably desirable.

post #142 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-24, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouser View Post
CompEng

I dont think your 630 has died. I think it is just needs a reboot. As posted here numourous times, the reboot will/should restore any problems after the upgrade. I think the analogy was to a windows machine, they often need a system restart after an upgrade.
Only speaking for myself with this black screen and no sound, I don't know if the analogy to the Windows computer is really applicable. For me, this happened three days after the upgrade. It seems like a bit of a coincidence that more than one person has this same problem. Particularly when the problem didn't occur prior to the upgrade.

What I'm curious to know is, how the people with this black screen/no picture thing got the upgrade. I forced it after seeing it in the target section. I wonder if others forced the upgrade and if this is something we have in common, relative to this issue I mean.

The Hans
post #143 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-24, 02:05 PM

only thing that bugs me so far is crappy fast forward searching. HD material isn't bad, but SD material barely works.
post #144 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-24, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgoodchild View Post
I'm not a big fan of the comparison to a windows computer. The combinations and permutations of hardware and software is astronomical on a computure. In comparison, the PVR is a simple device with fixed hardware, controlled software and limited input from owners. A reboot once every couple of months I'm okay with but not to the frequency experienced here by many. I don't have to reboot my computer daily just to keep it operational. My point is that the PVR is a controlled environment. There shouldn't be the number of problems we've seen on this board and a reboot really isn't a solution.

Now having said that, the last few weeks before I got the 4.06 upgrade I had taken to rebooting as I walked out the door in the morning and even then I missed the occasional recording. I've stopped that since I received the upgrade on Monday and so far haven't missed a recording. There are still a few glitchs but this seems to be a better firmware version than .13. Lets hope SC can up the frequency of firmware patchs and solve some of these outstanding issues. Other vendors with similar technology seem to be able to do so.
I do not disagree- I was only reinforcing what had previously been stated here.

I 'forced' my download after i was targeted, and since I have had a stable (fingers crossed) machine. Over the past couple of days I have recorded on both tuners in HD simultaneously, while playing from the disk with no issues. It does seem more stable than before. I cannot speak to the 'black screen' issue, but could it be an hdmi handshake after the upgrade?

Shaw Direct DVR830 / DVR 605/ 605, Sony Xbr65" 950E", Sony XBR4 850d, Oppo 980H, Yamaha 7.1 Surround, PS4! WDLive
post #145 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-24, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHans View Post
Only speaking for myself with this black screen and no sound, I don't know if the analogy to the Windows computer is really applicable. For me, this happened three days after the upgrade. It seems like a bit of a coincidence that more than one person has this same problem. Particularly when the problem didn't occur prior to the upgrade.

What I'm curious to know is, how the people with this black screen/no picture thing got the upgrade. I forced it after seeing it in the target section. I wonder if others forced the upgrade and if this is something we have in common, relative to this issue I mean.

The Hans
I let the update happen naturally, during the night. The no pic and no audio happened two days later. I'm not sure about the windows analogy, but I did notice that in the morning of the update, the trip count was at 0, which indicates it may have done an automatic reboot. The previous day, the count was at 6. As far as other vendors keeping up with software paches, one has to understand that they use different technology for data processing and encryption. I'm thinking that Shaw has a stand alone system and their software engineers are alone on this one.
post #146 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-24, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie60 View Post
I let the update happen naturally, during the night. The no pic and no audio happened two days later. I'm not sure about the windows analogy, but I did notice that in the morning of the update, the trip count was at 0, which indicates it may have done an automatic reboot. The previous day, the count was at 6.
I guess I'm finding it too much of a coincidence that the same odd thing happened to more than one 630 a day or so after the update when that particular thing had never happened prior to the update. But having said that, I have no idea what it means...other than I hope it doesn't happen again...
post #147 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-24, 07:18 PM
MSM

I had the same black screen & no picture on both my 630s the morning after the firmware update (both were done on the same overnight). A front panel reset fixed each of them, and all has been fine since.
post #148 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-24, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSM View Post
I had the same black screen & no picture on both my 630s the morning after the firmware update (both were done on the same overnight). A front panel reset fixed each of them, and all has been fine since.
I have two 630's. The first one took the update a week ago, and hasn't seen a hickup since, but the second one had the problem. On another note, I currently have them side by side... has anyone noticed that the clocks don't sync? One will be ahead of the other by up to 15 seconds, then eventually they will reverse.????
post #149 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-24, 07:51 PM

I guess if it just happens the once, it's no biggie. But one of the other posters commented that it happened more than once. I couldn't find the post, but it was something like he/she had the black screen/no sound, fixed it, watched TV for a while, turned the 630 off, then it happened again when he/she turned on the 630 again.

Also -- and maybe someone more technical could comment -- does it actually make sense that it directly relates to the download of the firmware and the need of the internal workings to update when the problem occurs happens a few days later? I'm just crossing my fingers that it doesn't happen again...
post #150 of 540 (permalink) Old 2011-02-24, 09:16 PM

I don't know if this has been identified or confirmed by anyone else but I tried the options,4,3,1 just to check this out and when I exited out I no longer had any audio. I shut the box off and on to no avail. I had to hold the front power button in for 15-20sec than my audio came back to normal. Very annoying

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in