DSR 605 no recurring auto-tune? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-01-19, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Rookie

DSR 605 no recurring auto-tune?

I currently have a DSR 505 that I use with a home-grown PC PVR (MythTV). I use the 505's auto-tune feature extensively, and often set programs to be auto-tuned on a daily or weekly basis so I can record them. I've been able to get PVR's IR blaster to work with the 505.

I'm considering buying a 605 and thought I'd review the manual first to get familiar with it. On page 24, in section "4D. USING AUTO-TUNES" I found this: "You cannot set recurring Auto-tunes." I guess I should trust the user guide, but can someone with a 605 confirm that this is true?

This is extremely disappointing. Is this an SD strategy to push people toward the 630?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-01-19, 07:11 PM

Hi bortman,

The User Guide is correct. A full list of the reminder/auto-tune options on the HDDSR 605 (along with some of the reasoning on why it has changed) is also explained here: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...4&postcount=35

If you have an IR blaster, you can simply have the computer change channels for you and set the recordings in the MythTV guide.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-01-19, 08:55 PM
mab

Angry

I also use 505s with two home made PVRs (an iMac and a Mini with ADVC110s). I don't have an IR blaster. Not having recurring auto-tune makes the 605 much less useful to me. Specifically, I tend to record blocks of programs on the science channels (Discovery, History, or National Geographic). Scheduled programming can and does change from week to week meaning that program-based recording does not work.

I understand why name-based recording was added. It is essential for the 630 (not so much right now for the 605, but they share code). I hope Shaw puts back this essential feature before the migration to MPEG-4 turns my receivers into door stops.

No, I would not consider a 630 because it lacks some features that I have programmed into my PVR (such as variable speed, pitch corrected playback).

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-01-20, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Rookie

@ SD 630 Support: Though I wrote "I've been able to get PVR's IR blaster to work with the 505", I actually meant to write that I haven't been able to get my IR blaster working. Sorry about that. This is why the auto-tune functionality is important to me.

@ mab: I also hadn't considered a 630. My MythTV PC is my PVR, but it is also an all-in-one livingroom media center and I'd like to keep it that way. It's nice to be able to access all my media from one spot.

I guess I still think that recurring auto-tune is useful. With my PVR I often "catch up" on series that I never watched when they originally aired. They be reruns, but they're new to me. Looks like I'm going to have to try to figure out my IR blaster.

BTW, what is the timeline for the MPEG4 switch?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-01-20, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortman View Post
@ SD 630 Support: Though I wrote "I've been able to get PVR's IR blaster to work with the 505", I actually meant to write that I haven't been able to get my IR blaster working. Sorry about that. This is why the auto-tune functionality is important to me.
Ah, that makes more sense then. Any of our receivers should work with an IR blaster. I've had good luck with Hauppauge products. The only thing to note is that the receiver probably needs to be set to the default "0000" remote address (OPTIONS 6-4-3-2) to work.

Quote:
BTW, what is the timeline for the MPEG4 switch?
There's been a lot of speculation, but unfortunately nothing has been officially announced yet. Stay tuned for details
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2011-01-20, 02:28 PM

I will add my voice to the above that without the auto tune feature on the 605 it is broken for my use. Name based functionality on the 605 is of limited use because if the program moves you may or may not be in front of the TV for the auto tune. Manual timers should be an option when setting up reminders. This decision makes me wonder if they did any real world testing of these devices (605 630) or they just had a bunch of internal 'yes men' testers that accepted the changes without question.

LONSat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in