Shaw Direct 2011 programming packages and pricing discussion - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-01-01, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Member #1

Shaw Direct 2011 programming packages and pricing discussion

The purpose of this thread is to discuss Star Choice programming packages, pricing and offerings.

Replaces Star Choice 2010 Programming Discussion

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-01-01, 06:09 PM
Rookie

Thumbs up 2011 package and pricing

For those who have to know, my B.C. package is as follows;
extra value pack..................17.99
digital value pack.................22.99
U.S. superstation...................0.99
eastern nets.........................4.99
HD extra..............................5.99
multi receiver warranty...........5.99
hated hst tax.......................7.07
total..................................66.01

Thats $2.20 per day! I must admit that at first it was difficult to get what I wanted from SD but a really helpful csr out of Montreal made this package for us and it works for our entertainment needs. Some may notice no movie pack and I do not use ppv or vod, I find these items do not make financial sense. Overall this is still better than an other providers options.
post #3 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-01-01, 08:27 PM

rosetta:

do you need to pay $4.99 for the eastern nets? you should already get them in HD as part of your basic package?

post #4 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-01-01, 10:31 PM

Remove the eastern nets, add the HD Combo Pack, 10.99 (includes HD Extra) and your bill will increase to $66.02

Happy New Year
post #5 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-01-02, 09:17 AM
Rookie

HD with Digital Lite package?

hi long time stalker first time poster
like the title says. I am currently subed to the digital lite package with a sd reciever (dsr319). I am looking at upgrading to the new hdpvr. will i HAVE to change my package or are there already some HD channals in the Digital Lite.
Most of the programs i watch are on the big channals, ctv, cbs, fox, nbc and abc.

thanks
post #6 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-01-02, 11:33 AM

If you subscribe to the Standard Def version of the channel in your package, you'll get the HD version with a new HD receiver.
post #7 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-01-02, 11:56 AM
Veteran

CBC, CTV, Global, NBC, CBS, Fox, ABC, PBS, Radio-Canada and TVA in HD are all included in Digital Lite.

You can add TSN HD for around $5 if you watch a lot of sports.
post #8 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-01-03, 10:27 AM
Rookie

Programming packages

Interested in getting some feedback on what packages are the best bang for your buck.
I was looking at the Western Digital Value Package.
Overall package looks ok but there are other channels I'd like to have.
Is it more cost effective to take a package which has these other channels or would it be cheaper just to add other channels onto the WDVP?
Thanks for your feedback.
Just a note. I tried to do a new post but the site wouldn't let me. Anyone know why?
Thanks
post #9 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-01-03, 02:26 PM
Rookie

Bonjour Frenchophile;
It is my understanding that as a B.C. package I would only receive western feeds, so my preference is both even if it costs a little more.

Cheers and Merci
post #10 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-01-03, 06:18 PM
Veteran

The bc package basic includes eastern and western at the moment at least.
post #11 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-01-05, 02:07 AM

Location: Richmond, BC. Shaw Direct: DSR 630, DSR 600, DSR 505
No the BC Value pack does not include the US Eastern 'Nets' in Standard Definition but it does include them in High Definition. So unless have have additional Standard Definition Receivers that get used frequently you should probably drop eastern nets and upgrade HD Extra to HD Combo.
post #12 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-01-08, 11:54 AM
Rookie

update

Well it seems a mistake was made so BC package does include Eastern nets in HD but not in standard definition, thanks to all that made me aware of this. As for upgrade from HD extra to HD combo not at all interested in any of those channels, (all sports). Lowered my bill by $4.99 plus ugly hst tax, this was confirmed by a csr today Sat Jan 8 2011.
post #13 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-02-11, 05:47 PM
Rookie

Post 2011 package and pricing

The Extra Value Pack will be increased by $2.00/month on April 1st. Shaw has added Movietime, Showcase Diva and Showcase Action to the pack, as well the Oprah Winfrey Network (for what it's worth!). I'm pretty sure that this pack, and the Digital Value Pack, are only available through Shaw themselves - you have to set it up directly with their sales dept in Calgary.

I've just signed up with Shaw (today, as a matter of fact), primarily to get away from Bell. I just didn't like the way Bell handles upgrades for long time customers - $500 up front for a HDPVR, with $250 in credits later (I've been with Bell for 12 years and will soon be getting rid of the Bell land-line phone too - $11/month for voicemail!). My total cash outlay for a Shaw HDPVR and a std HD receiver was $236.74 incl taxes. Again, only available through Shaw's sales dept.
post #14 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-02-15, 08:02 PM
Rookie

How did you get this deal? is it after all credits?

Thanks,

Zippyslow
post #15 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-03-11, 03:03 AM

Free HD?

I'm one of those guys who just pays my bill like an idiot and doesn't bother to look often. I looked today . . .
What happened to the concept of "Free HD"
Wasn't that Shaw's big selling point to get us to buy, instead of rent receivers?
Now, there are just as many HD channels that have to be purchased as opposed to ones that are "free" with other packages.
Seems a little underhanded, so I guess I'll have to start making cuts and selling HD receivers. Why on earth would I want to pay once for the SD channel and then pay for it again?
Am I being unreasonable?
I am all ears.
Closed Thread

Tags
2011 , packages , pricing , programming , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in