Shaw Direct 2011 programming packages and pricing discussion - Page 9 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #121 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-08-12, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta guy View Post
Thanks GaryE. Now I know.
And knowing is half the battle! GI JOE!!!!

~ Sorry, couldn't help myself ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-08-12, 03:54 PM
Veteran

It only costs $1 as a standalone though. Great deal if you're an NBA fan.
post #123 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-08-12, 05:07 PM
QCK

But the picture quality is horrible on that channel in SD on a larger screen TV.

post #124 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-08-14, 11:34 AM

Superchannel Bundle

We have Ultimate Choice Plus but were considering adding the Superchannel movie nets also. When I inquired about price, I was told $15.99/month. I didn't like that because that's the same price I pay for HBO Canada movie channels & US superstations. Since I already have the US superstations, why would I pay an inflated price that is supposed to include them again?
I've seen the promo for Superchannel @ 50% off for 4 months but when it runs out, back to full price, right?
Anyone have any experience with Superchannel? Are they worth it? We were drawn in by them showing Falling Skies and Men Of A Certain Age but the latter one has now been cancelled, so not sure if it's worth it. Comments regarding priceing and content are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
post #125 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-08-14, 12:36 PM
Veteran

According to the SD website $15.99 is the price just for the Superchannels. $19.99 is the price with the superstations and a couple of other channels so you would be getting a $4.00 discount since you already have the superstations.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #126 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-08-15, 08:32 AM

Su

I add the SuperChannels every December during their 3 months free promotion. I just love Men of a Certain Age, Sons of Anarchy and Justified.

I find the three months works nicely to catch MoCA and SoA, while I get to see the previous year's Justified in a marathon. I'm hoping this year I'll also be able to catch Falling Skies during this time.

I never end up keeping SuperChannel because, one I only watch HD, so I'm paying $15.99 for two channels, and two I find once those shows are done, there is absolutely nothing worth paying $15.99 for. It seems wrong to pay that much a month for just Justified. In fact, it feels wrong to pay that much for two or three shows and a bunch of B movies.

At least the Movie Packages have TMN and HBO.
To make matters worse, the fact that SuperChannel plays FX shows will mean that when FX Canada launches, it won't actually play Sons of Anarchy because it's already on SuperChannel.

So eventually we'll probably pay $16 for TMN/HBO, $16 for SuperChannel and $16 for FX Canada (if we even get it!).

I tried and tried to argue that I already pay for a big chunk of the channels included in the SuperChannel package and that in essence I only get 2 channels for $16, but I never got anywhere. I would be willing to pay a bundle price for the Movie Network and Super Channel, but got nowhere with that either. The most they did was take 99 cents off.

That's my 2 cents about Super Channel.

ATV3 / Unblock-US / Netflix / HuluPlus / Samsung LNT3242H
post #127 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-08-16, 01:59 PM

Sad News

ElenaH, sorry to tell you but Men Of A Certain Age did not get renewed.
http://www.hollywood.com/news/Men_Of...celled/7817861
Just FYI in case you were not aware.
Thanks for your feedback on Superchannel.
post #128 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-08-21, 10:18 AM
Rookie

Is there a channel # listing to show what channels are in what packages?

I've looked everywhere on SD's site to find a channel listing that shows what channels are included in what packages but the only ones I could find tell you what comes in the Essentials and then the Specialty Bundles. No listing of what comes in Digital Lite, Populaire Francais, etc. I saw a site that had lists but the information was outdated. Can anyone help me here?

Thanks
post #129 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-08-21, 10:34 AM

@dhduff, I think this PDF has all the info you want:

http://www.shawdirect.ca/english/cha...g_advanced.asp

The programming brochures also are available here:

http://www.shawdirect.ca/english/lea...ng/default.asp
post #130 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-08-21, 11:35 AM
Veteran

dhduff...
https://secure.shawdirect.ca/english.../signup_pr.asp

In Action 2 you MUST click on "View all packages" and then scroll down to Digital Lite and then click on "Over 100 channels" and then as you mouse-over each network logo it will tell you where that network feed or feeds come from.

I would assume this is the same procedure on the french side of the website.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #131 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-08-21, 12:24 PM
Rookie

Dr. Dave, thanks for your reply but the PDFs don't tell you anything besides what channels are in the Essentials and the Specialty Packs. Gary, I believe this is what I was looking for, though I was hoping for more of a chart. I'll just have to spend the time to make my own chart.

Thanks!!
post #132 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-08-22, 08:51 AM

Angry Another Price Increase

I just got my SD Bill for September and at the bottom of the bill they have a notice stating:

Programming package rate adjustment.
Effective November 01, 2011, the monthly rate for your service(s) will be adjusted to $52.96, plus
taxes. If you are being billed a promotional rate or had a change in service since this invoice was
printed, the adjusted rate quoted above may differ.

Can we get a break, a $3 increase, my programming has gone up like $5 this year!!!
post #133 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-08-22, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbcanada View Post
I just got my SD Bill for September and at the bottom of the bill they have a notice stating:

Programming package rate adjustment.
Effective November 01, 2011, the monthly rate for your service(s) will be adjusted to $52.96, plus
taxes. If you are being billed a promotional rate or had a change in service since this invoice was
printed, the adjusted rate quoted above may differ.

Can we get a break, a $3 increase, my programming has gone up like $5 this year!!!
Here is SD answer via twitter to my "concerns"
Next year we will be launching our new satellite, which will allow us to add up to 100 HD channels. We provide a number of promotions to our customers to allow flexibility. I certainly appreciate your concern and if you have any further questions, please let me know. *jm

Not really an answer, I don't feel that justifies a $3 increase. Will I actually get an more channels that I want to watch for $3? Not likely....
post #134 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-08-22, 12:58 PM

Update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krydor View Post
Buffalo nets have been gone for years. Spokane is going soon...
any idea when the spokane feeds might be leaving? I heard that the Fiber optic line to Calgary is done. when they do drop those four stations, how many MPEG-4 feeds could they fit in the same bandwidth?
post #135 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-08-22, 08:46 PM
Veteran

Blame the increase on the CRTC. The addition of these LPIF stations is absolutely stupid, and will cost us all.
Closed Thread

Tags
2011 , packages , pricing , programming , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in