Shaw Direct 2011 programming packages and pricing discussion - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #61 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-05-06, 12:50 PM

It is the "Movie Time" not the movie channels that cost 15.00 0r 17.99

Whoops' ignore; I mis-read yr comment

sorry
commish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-05-06, 01:08 PM
Veteran

The Movie Channels (TMN,HBO etc.) are NOT included in the Digital Favorites package but can be purchased at $19.99 more a month. WGN is not included in the Digital Favorites package either but can be purchased in a Superstations Standalone package (WPIX,WGN,WSBK,KTLA) for $1.99 extra a month and that will give you WGN HD.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #63 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-05-06, 02:31 PM

It's deceiving on purpose, which speaks for itself. As far as what's offered for "free", in the States, cable companies generally give you for FREE in HD whatever you've subsribed to in SD. Is that how Shaw operates?

post #64 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-05-06, 04:44 PM

In order to receiver the channels in the No Extra Cost HD package, you need to be subscribed to the standard definition equivalent.

Jessica - Shaw Direct Employee
post #65 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-05-06, 04:46 PM
Rookie

Thanks, that's a bit clearer now. I thought it was a bit too good to be true. My wife wants HBO, too, so it looks like I'll have to pay for the Movie pack as well.
post #66 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-05-07, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawDirect_Jess View Post
In order to receiver the channels in the No Extra Cost HD package, you need to be subscribed to the standard definition equivalent.

Jessica - Shaw Direct Employee
that's not true. HGTV? Arts and Entertainment? History? You're answer is deceiving. ONLY the channels in 'No Extra Cost', but other subscribed SD channels give you NO HD subscription for HD counterparts. That is not nice.
post #67 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-05-07, 10:08 PM
QCK

I disagree, what Jess said is correct, the channels you mention are part of the HD Extra package and not part of the No Extra Cost HD package. I have no problem withe what she said.
post #68 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-05-07, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCK View Post
I disagree, what Jess said is correct, the channels you mention are part of the HD Extra package and not part of the No Extra Cost HD package. I have no problem withe what she said.
sorry, I disagree with you then. my original entry was about other cable companies including HD for free if SD was subscribed to.
That's not the case with many Shaw HD offerings.
The channels I mentioned have been in my SD package for years.
I just listed three channels where SD subscription means NOTHING to Shaw.
Other companies don't do it, why does Shaw?
To me, it's a money-grab, pure and simple.
post #69 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-05-07, 11:08 PM
QCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster View Post
sorry, I disagree with you then. my original entry was about other cable companies including HD for free if SD was subscribed to.
That's not the case with many Shaw HD offerings.
The channels I mentioned have been in my SD package for years.
I just listed three channels where SD subscription means NOTHING to Shaw.
Other companies don't do it, why does Shaw?
To me, it's a money-grab, pure and simple.
That has nothing to do with quoting Jess with saying what she wrote is not true in post #66...

Every company has differnet ways to package their channels. If you will get a better deal elsewhere then go there. Sure Shaw wants to make money, just like every company in business. Just look at the banks and all the bogus fees they charge, it is no different. My advise is to go to the provider that will do the best for you and your needs.
post #70 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-05-08, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCK View Post
That has nothing to do with quoting Jess with saying what she wrote is not true in post #66...

Every company has differnet ways to package their channels. If you will get a better deal elsewhere then go there. Sure Shaw wants to make money, just like every company in business. Just look at the banks and all the bogus fees they charge, it is no different. My advise is to go to the provider that will do the best for you and your needs.
As the first post states: "The purpose of this thread is to discuss Star Choice programming packages, pricing and offerings"
That's what I am doing. If you wish to ignore that Shaw is apparently charging more than many other companies for similar service, that is your prerogative. However, your "advice" to pick-up-my-ball-and-go-home is, well, something I'd expect a bad parent to tell a five-year-old.
Shaw charges you twice for similar SD and HD channels, after advertising FREE HD, plain and simple. If you enjoy that, great. I don't, And if more people called Shaw on it then they'd be more likely to stop doing it.
If we stick our heads in the sand, they will keep it up, and raise the price to boot.
Happy Mothers Day.
post #71 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-05-08, 11:36 AM

However, Shaw does have Free HD. You could be on the most basic package and you'd still get the US Feeds in HD with no extra cost, same with Global HD. So their statement isn't false. Just because they say they have Free HD, doesn't mean that all of their HD is free. If The Marble Slab advertised free ice cream for today because it's mothers day and you find out you can only get a small cone of vanilla, does that mean they were lieing about the free ice cream?
post #72 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-05-08, 01:23 PM
Veteran

Reality Check

Quote:
Shaw is apparently charging more than many other companies for similar service,
Upset by the way my bill has exploded again I had a reality check when I comparison shopped with cable. Shaw ain't doin' so bad!! And don't kid yourself...Everyone PAYS for free HD, not just those who use them.
post #73 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-05-09, 12:09 AM

hey, if you folks want to pay one bill for SD, and then another one for the same channels in HD, then I can't argue with you.
I would prefer that if I am forced to subscribe to SD channels, then I shouldn't have to pay a second time for the same channels in HD.
Shaw obviously knows their clientelle better than I do.
post #74 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-05-09, 12:59 AM

I went and investigated Bell to see if their packages were any different (ie you only have to pay for channels in SD and you get them in HD automatically). They have the same system. To get A&E HD you have to pay for the HD Variety package. Now I've only taken a quick look so there be some bundling options I'm not aware of. I went and took a look at Direct TV to see what are neighbors to the south are like. While not having specific HD packages to add on, the higher the package you have, the more HD channels you get. So, it seems that there are really no providers out there that give you 100% free HD channels. I know...it's shocking

Last edited by Kartan; 2011-05-09 at 01:01 AM. Reason: grammar
post #75 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-05-09, 02:47 AM
Veteran

A lot of it is that is how TSN/Sportsnet etc. want their channels to be sold. Shaw Direct can offer CBC, CTV, Global, US nets etc. for free because they don't have to pay for them. Many of the specialty channels want to make as much money as possible, so they force providers to force subscribers to pay for the SD version, to have the option of paying for the HD version. I'm not sure Shaw are the right guys to blame. If they offered these channels for free, they would probably be operating in a big loss.
Closed Thread

Tags
2011 , packages , pricing , programming , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in