Shaw Direct 2011 programming packages and pricing discussion - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #46 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-04-05, 10:20 PM
Veteran

TSN SD is included in the essential package. You pay for it whether you want it or not.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-04-06, 02:48 PM
Veteran

hawkeyenewf:

At home:
4x8 multiswitch, or better yes, a WB6-8, or wait and see what the new G1 compatible LNBF needs.

In whatever case, you get 6 receivers for yourself, and take two to the cabin and back, for when you go there., Or get two more receivers to leave at the cabin and move your account there when you want satellite TV there. That would be legal under your TOS, HAFH, and what the channels want (service only at one service address at a time)

Your tenants will need to get their own receivers and subscription, to be legal, as far as accounts go, since they are yet another service address. To be even more legal, have them get their own dish.
post #48 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-04-19, 03:26 PM

NHL CI charge?

Anybody else paying 29.99 from 21-Apr-11 to 20-May-11?

It seems to me once the playoffs started the NHL CI channels have shown no games?

Last edited by 57; 2011-04-19 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Merged into existing thread

post #49 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-04-20, 11:30 AM

I got the same thing on my bill and thought the same as you do
post #50 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-04-20, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpokane View Post
Anybody else paying 29.99 from 21-Apr-11 to 20-May-11?

It seems to me once the playoffs started the NHL CI channels have shown no games?
I was also charged for the full month of April even though when i signed up they told me that I would be charged only for the regular season. Even if they showed any playoff games on CI, they would be free (as part of the CI package). Therefore the Ci charge for April should only have been about $10, not $30. I called the rep and he told me that everyone would be charged and then next month a credit would be given back. I find that method to be absolute stupidity, but i gave him the benefit of the doubt. Now i await the next bill to see my credit.
post #51 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-04-20, 06:08 PM

Thanks for the update...saves me a call in.
Definitely be interesting to see the next bill.
post #52 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-04-22, 08:51 PM

^^^And just got my bill and there was a credit for removal of CI from Apr 12-30. Not sure why Apr 12th since the season ended on the 10th but i'm not gonna fight for one day. Credit was $18.xx.

EDIT: I hate that they did it this was. Did they credit back the taxes from last month as well? Doesn't seem like it.
post #53 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-04-23, 09:46 PM

I must have missed something but when I look at the French programming flyer of april, the prices shows increases pretty much for everything; packages, HD, Duo, movies, etc...

If I look at the english flyer of april, it doesn't show most of these changes.

Anyone knows?

To see the flyers, you can go to

http://www.shawdirect.ca/english/doc..._12_2011_f.pdf

http://www.shawdirect.ca/english/doc..._2011_east.pdf

Stange.....
post #54 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-04-23, 10:59 PM
Veteran

The french packaging has the 1.5% CRTC fee included in the price hence the weird "cents" pricing but the english pricing does not include the fee. It is added onto the bill as a seperate line.

~Gary
post #55 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-04-23, 11:24 PM

Thanks, I have bilingual programming and the last month it was also seperate on my bill. I guess it is different for French programming.

Lego
post #56 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-05-01, 09:01 PM
Rookie

HD Sports and HD Extra Packages - Combo Now?

Anyone know how long Shaw has been doing a Combo Pack for the HD Extra & HD Sports package for $10.99? I have been paying separately - HD Sports ($6.99) and HD Extra ($5.99) for quite some time now. I emailed customer service and received the following reply:

With the HD sports and HD extra, you would need to request to change to the combo. We do not automatically change it for you.

However having said that we have now combined the two for $10.99 per month.

Should you have any further question or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Please also include all previous emails with your replies.

Thank you for choosing Shaw Direct

Kind of find it disturbing that since they now combo the 2 packages that they would not automatically adjust current customers accounts accordingly who are subscribers to these packages. I've been with Starchoice/Shaw for over 7 years (in both Ottawa and Halifax) but have found there customer service to be "some what" lacking lately (particularly in Halifax).
post #57 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-05-01, 09:35 PM
Veteran

I think it's been over a year, maybe two, but yes that policy of not letting us current subs know about the combo is very sneaky. Fortunately through this forum I learned about the combo pricing shortly after it started.

~Gary
post #58 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-05-02, 11:20 AM

what angers me is that Shaw ORIGINALLY got us all to purchase receivers based on the marketing catch-phrase "FREE HD".
In reality, the number of channels that are free has now nearly been equalled by the number of channels that ARE NOT FREE!
kinda sleazy
post #59 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-05-04, 10:59 AM

As long as there's some free HD channels, it's still "free HD". They never said that there wouldn't be some pay HD too.

I don't think we can really object that Shaw updates their packages, pricing and policies over time. It's an evolving business, and they have to stay competitive and make a profit. That's not to say that they don't some pretty irritating things.

1. They keep raising the price for stable packages by an excessive amount. It's all very well to charge extra for new services, new channels, new features (like HD), but what's the justification for hefty increases on services and packages that haven't changed for years?

2. The price increases, new fees, and package content changes are coming increasingly frequently without warning. Couldn't they confine it once a year, and give at least a few months warning of their plans? There's nothing like constant unexpected negative changes to get customers thinking about switching TV providers.

3. The "secret" deals offered to some customers that aren't available to others. Everybody loves paying a higher share than other customers just because they live in the wrong province.
post #60 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-05-06, 12:38 PM
Rookie

Is WGN (the CW) included in the Digital Essentials?

I am trying to decipher the Shaw Direct programming document. I see by subscribing to Digital Favorites I get a lot of channels, but I also see WGN in HD, which is confusing as I also see the Movie channels there too.

I can't see the Movie Channels being included with Digital Favorites, but if it is they have the best deal in town.

I know in order to have it through Bell, I have to subscribe to a Sports bundle.
Closed Thread

Tags
2011 , packages , pricing , programming , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in