Shaw Direct 2011 programming packages and pricing discussion - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #16 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-03-11, 11:25 AM
Veteran

It is the channels that insist that their HD version be separately subscribed, particularily Alliance and Discovery Communications associated programming.

Shaw is including what HD they can. Some providers may be charging separately for all HD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-03-11, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat View Post
It is the channels that insist that their HD version be separately subscribed, particularily Alliance and Discovery Communications associated programming.

Shaw is including what HD they can. Some providers may be charging separately for all HD.
then does that include ALL the sports channels for $6.99? I thought those were mostly free if you have the SD version. My recent bill states otherwise. We shouldn't have to pay for BOTH - there should be a reduced option for one or the other - anyone who has HD won't watch HGTV in SD, you know? It seems to be a cash-grab in the grandest Canadian fashion.
post #18 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-03-11, 02:41 PM
QCK

^^^ Yes indeed, I know it sounds crazy but companies like Shaw Direct are in business to make money. If there is a another cable or satellite company that is any different and can provide equal programming please let us all know.

You get all english HD sports channels with the HD sports pack or the HD combo pack, that is correct.

post #19 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-03-11, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCK View Post
^^^ Yes indeed, I know it sounds crazy but companies like Shaw Direct are in business to make money. If there is a another cable or satellite company that is any different and can provide equal programming please let us all know.

You get all english HD sports channels with the HD sports pack or the HD combo pack, that is correct.
I am not against them making money, but it's pretty obvious if you support them by PURCHASING their expensive receivers, you're supporting them, regardless how much they make on the hardware. At that point, as per their "original" advertising of FREE HD, they've added almost nothing for free, and instead have added almost ALL HD as paid services, sports packages, PPV, etc.
It's a sham, plain and simple. If they gave us free receiver updates forever, that may ease the pain, but that's likely not happening, is it?
post #20 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-03-11, 03:17 PM
Veteran

"Free HD" is just a gimmick.

ALL subscribers are paying for SD and HD across the board. If you don't want HD, you have to pay for it anyway. If you don't want SD you have to pay for your chosen packages anyway. The provider gets more money from the ALL rather than just from those who want it.
post #21 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-03-11, 04:06 PM
Veteran

Question Question about HD US nets

Im new to SD as of today and I have taken the east & west HD US nets from Buffalo/Detroit & Spokane. Now I have the nets package for $4.99. Now im being told by friends that I will loose those choices soon as SD is dropping them. Is this true? Maybe I should have taken Boston & Seattle, but I already have them via Bell so I was hoping to have a different choice.
post #22 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-03-11, 06:05 PM

Buffalo nets have been gone for years. Spokane is going soon. The HD feeds are from Detroit and Seattle. No Boston feeds at all
post #23 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-03-11, 06:34 PM
Veteran

Good to know. No worries then.
post #24 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-03-11, 08:28 PM

PBS Buffalo is alive for now.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #25 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-03-27, 11:24 PM
Veteran

I doubt the PBS feeds will disappear due to strong regional Canadian audiences. Viewers protest too much when they are removed. Extra US network feeds appear to be disappearing from all BDUs, even on cable systems where they were grandfathered for decades. The current CRTC regime would rather see them go so there isn't much hope of getting the decision reversed.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #26 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-03-28, 03:04 AM

can't change packages online

I've been trying to change my programming package online, and while I seem to be able to click or un-click most items, for some reason, I CANNOT select either the HD Sports or HD package, either seperately, or as a combo-package.
Is this a software fault of Shaw's website, or is there some kind of hidden voodoo?
post #27 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-03-28, 12:45 PM

There have been a few problems with Self Serve over the past week. HD Sports has been causing some issues. You might need an agent to make the changes for you.

Jessica - Shaw Direct Employee
post #28 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-03-29, 06:04 PM

OMG! There's yet another price increase on this month's bill in addition to the CRTC 1.5% and the across-the-board 2% package price increase last month:

HD US Network Timeshift 1.00

They're going to charge an extra $1/month for having both east and west feeds in HD!

Last edited by 57; 2011-03-29 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Moved to appropriate thread.
post #29 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-03-29, 06:30 PM
Rookie

Surprise!!!

Now wouldn't some type of notice be nice? Even a month?

Having increase after increase shoved down one's throat without notice, becomes annoying after a while.

Last edited by 57; 2011-03-29 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote removed.
post #30 of 174 (permalink) Old 2011-03-29, 09:46 PM
Veteran

The good news is that I think many of us will get a break on the $1.00 fee. From the fine print on Shaw Direct self serve

Quote:
HD Time Shifting is included for FREE with HD Combo, HD Sports, HD Extra and HD Extra Lite Packages, Digital Favourites Package, or when subscribed to both East and West feeds of The Nets (U.S. Networks).
I've always had trouble with HD sports on self serve, especially on Firefox and Chrome. Try using Internet Explorer and refreshing a couple times if it doesn't work at first.
Closed Thread

Tags
2011 , packages , pricing , programming , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in