Hockey Night in Canada - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 2010-11-05, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Hockey Night in Canada

A few years ago, Starchoice carried additional CBC stations in HD during Hockey Night in Canada - so that you could watch the Senators or Canadiens rather than just the Maple Leafs. The last couple of years, they don't seem to have been doing that. Any idea why? Surely this must put Shaw in a big disadvantage in cities like Ottawa and Montreal where the local cable has the home team in HD. And to make matters worse, the CBC SD stations that carry Ottawa or Montreal games are often over-compressed - with poor video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 2010-11-05, 09:54 PM
Veteran

No CBC HNIC game that is not the National Games are HD. CBC has 2 HD trucks. One in the East and one in the West. So if the Leafs games is the National game and is HD. The Sens and Habs games are SD.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 2010-11-05, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Actually, I do believe that the sens and Habs games are broadcast in HD on the local Ottawa and Montreal CBC channels (available on cable at those locations). You will notice, during a Leafs game, that when they do highlights of a Sens or Habs game - it is in HD. (Or when they switch to a Sens or Habs game because the Leafs game ended earlier, the sens or Habs game is in HD). Also, this Saturday, the Sens/Habs game is the national one - but on SD, we will only be able to watch the Leafs game on HD.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 2010-11-05, 10:04 PM
Veteran

No, it is stretched. CBC has 2 HD trucks. One out West and One in the East which is used by the National broadcast which is usually the Leafs.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 2010-11-06, 02:56 AM

1+ billion of annual budget and they can't afford more than two freaking HD truck for the only TV show on their network that is actually watched! Why do they even bother buying the rights if they don't show it properly in HD? The NHL need to consider some HD minimum standard to respect for the next national broadcasting contract. And maybe it time CBC lose that contract to somebody who more serious when it come to covering our national sports! Same for RDS by the way I noticed that they don't have more than a few HD cameras to cover the game the moment they switch to another angle you can clearly see stretching artifact that come from an SD up conversion!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 2010-11-06, 08:17 AM
Veteran

Actually the Habs/Sens games are 16:9 SD. This week Senators-Canadiens is the national game, so it might be in HD with the Leafs game in 16:9 SD. This happened when the Habs were the national game a couple times last year. If this is true then it means that we won't get the HD game on Shaw Direct this week.

This is one of the many reasons why CBC Vancouver HD needs to be added to Shaw Direct. It will only get worse if Canadian teams on CBC conflict during the playoffs anytime soon.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 2010-11-07, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Yeah - truck or no truck - whether or not it is HD or 16:9 SD, the picture coming from the Shaw Direct HD channel is far better than those coming from their SD channels.

What I would like to see is CBOT/HD and CBMT/HD to be made available on Saturday evenings - perhaps in the Centre Ice set of channels. Seems that they are providing HD service for Leafs fans on Saturday nights - while ignoring Sens and Habs fans. Last night was a great example. Shaw Direct let us see the local Toronto game in HD - but the national Habs/Sens game was not available other than in 4:3 highly compressed SD.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 2010-11-07, 12:25 PM

What I want to know did Bell customers get the Sens vs Habs in HD or are they in the same boat as Shaw customers? Here; north of Kingston the guide showed on the screen we were going to watch on CKWS the Sens vs Habs when in fact it was Toronto. I got the Sens game but had to search for it. I agree they need to do their homework and make some of these games part of the Center Ice Package especially if their in HD.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 2010-11-07, 10:09 PM
Veteran

Nobody gets Habs and Sens games in HD, they aren't produced in HD in the first place. Bell customers do, however, get them on HD channels in 16:9 upconverted, which is a lot better than what get on Shaw Direct. The problem is that these aren't made for the CI package, if Shaw wants to carry them they need to pick up CBC Montreal HD and CBC Ottawa HD.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 2010-11-08, 09:10 AM

I write Shaw to complain about this at the beginning of every NHL season. I always suggest they work something out with CBC to put up special feeds for these games. They always reply that some day far in the future, they'll have more CBC HD feeds.

I'm just speculating, but maybe CBC wouldn't give them just the HD games. CBC would want them carrying more HD feeds full time.

Bottom line, I don't think things will change until Shaw has a new satellite running, or until they go to MPEG4 or DVB-S2. We'll be suffering though this for the rest of this season, and next season too at least. IMHO.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 2010-11-08, 10:27 AM

There are more than 2 HD trucks available to CBC. CBC can rent the Dome Productions HD trucks which do most TSN and Sportsnet NHL games when they are available. In fact Dome rents the CBC trucks from time to time as well. Besides the trucks themselves there are also transmission limitations, getting the HD signal where it needs to go. Multiple HD lines are not always available to and from all venues and stations. As time goes by more and more games will be HD. This will happen sooner than later. Just be patient.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in