Upgraded internal HDD for the 630 - Page 16 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #226 of 234 (permalink) Old 2019-07-27, 09:37 AM
Rookie

I did a factory reset with the WD Blue drive, and my results were no better - no offer to format, and still seeing "no hard drive found". I put a GPT partition table on the SSD and put a FAT filesystem on it, and Diag R still shows a zero for size, and the factory reset still shows "no hard drive found". I think this is just not going to work. I'm going to have to try to get this unit replaced, and give up on upgrading my HD size for now. Sigh.

Rob T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #227 of 234 (permalink) Old 2019-07-27, 10:25 PM
Veteran

Something seems to be going on. Have you tried replacing the SATA cable? It's possible that Shaw is locking down the usable hard drives in firmware. Bell PVRs have always been that way. It's also possible that he reformat procedure has been changed in firmware. Got to wonder if a drive out of another 630 would work or if the 1TB drive works in another 630. That would determine if the 630 is faulty.
post #228 of 234 (permalink) Old 2019-07-28, 12:40 AM
Rookie

Don't use an SSD on a PVR. unless you want to change then on a regular basis. A PVR will chew them up and spit them out. PVR's write and delete everything you watch even if your not recording the show. SSD's can only handle so much write/deletes before they die out.

post #229 of 234 (permalink) Old 2019-07-28, 08:23 AM

I think the SSD life would still outstrip that of the machine itself.
The issue that I see is the lack of trim commands and would be a problem with a dvr that writes and reads all the time.
post #230 of 234 (permalink) Old 2019-07-28, 11:37 AM
Veteran

The days when SSDs would rapidly wear out are gone. Modern SSDs will last as long as most convention hard drives (longer than some brands on the market) and are being used in high demand scenarios such as internet cloud storage and file servers. The main issues with SSDs are cost and capacity and even those are rapidly disappearing. Another is SSD support in certain devices such as PVRs. Many PVRs are based on dated software and designs that don't support SSDs well.
post #231 of 234 (permalink) Old 2019-07-28, 12:54 PM

SSD

From the article QUOTE: Newer isn’t always better. Recently, SSD manufacturers have begun to trade off speed and reliability in the interest of cramming more storage space into their drives. Protocols like NVMe and PCIe are getting faster, but some SSDs are going backward. UNQUOTE

https://www.howtogeek.com/428869/ssd...-to-qlc-flash/
Dr.Dave and Bell_MTS User like this.
post #232 of 234 (permalink) Old 2019-07-28, 09:29 PM
Veteran

I've always check the NAND used by the SSD drive maker. There will always be lower quality, lower priced products. I'm not saying you should purchase them. I've seen a few early model SSD drives fail. They failed suddenly with no chance to recover any data. Newer SSD drives from quality makers are much better, some have a better life expectancy than comparable hard drives.

The quest for higher capacities has taken it's toll on hard drives as well. I've seen a greater than 50% failure rate on a dozen drives of one model in the first three years. That compares with no failures on earlier drives of the same make with lower capacities. WD's response was to shorten the warranty from 3 to 2 years so they wouldn't have to replace them. They've kept failing well under the expected lifespan ever since.
post #233 of 234 (permalink) Old 2019-08-09, 12:29 PM
Rookie

OK, so I bought a used 630 and got it activated (I wanted a second one anyway). It's nice to be able to record stuff again. I'd still like to get the old one back on the air myself with a bigger drive if I can.

So I thought I would use the eSATA case and my existing 1Tb drives to see if this box would work with an external drive. With the power off on the eSATA case, I put the hard drive in, plug the cable into the 630, and then power up the eSATA case. And nothing happened. What I had to do was to unplug the 630 and let it reboot with the eSATA enclosure powered on. With both drives, I got an offer to format them, and did that. I took the Samsung SSD and put it in the dead 630, and it accepted the drive and is a PVR again! :-)

So it looks like the 56.05 firmware is no longer able to format drives without a working drive in place, but its good news that you can do this on another 630. I am happy :-)

Thanks,
Rob T
QCK, frenchophile and RuralRouter like this.
post #234 of 234 (permalink) Old 2019-08-22, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
QCK

Thanks to Rob T for the message above, and some personal advice, I was able to do an hard drive install as well with a "Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E1T0B/AM)" hard drive. My 630 is much faster in response, acting like a brand new updated receiver.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in