Upgraded internal HDD for the 630 - Page 15 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #211 of 234 (permalink) Old 2019-07-11, 05:55 PM
Rookie

I finally pulled my 630 out of my rack and had a look - I was barking up the wrong tree. "Security Torx" is like a regular Torx bit with a hole to fit over a spike in the screw. This screw is roughly the opposite of that. I don't have a Princess here, so I looked at a few auto parts stores. I found some smaller E-Torx (E = external), which are opposite of Torx, but they are the wrong shape and won't fit. So I can't open the case :-(

I think I found the Newelectronx toolkit that was mentioned, but it is out of stock, as is anything that looks like it has the right bit :-( Has anyone found a tool or a toolkit that works on a place like Amazon?

Edited to add: Ah - A Nintendo Gamebit search worked. Ordered.

Thanks,
Rob T

Last edited by rob_t; 2019-07-11 at 06:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 234 (permalink) Old 2019-07-11, 10:26 PM
Veteran

Glad you found it. The set I mentioned has a number of different style bits in different sizes. They are also available on eBay for under $10 but shipping takes 6 weeks.
post #213 of 234 (permalink) Old 2019-07-12, 06:52 PM

@rob_t I replaced my stock drive last year. The hardest part was the torx screw. I didn't use the Gamebit, but the set I ordered had a bit that almost fit, so it took a decent amount of elbow grease to loosen. anyway, when you put everything back together, use philips screws. I posted a step by step guide last year on this forum. Here is the link to the post

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/3024729-post173.html

post #214 of 234 (permalink) Old 2019-07-13, 09:19 AM
Rookie

Thanks, @frenchophile - I saw your steps. I am under the impression that I can't use them because my internal drive is pooched - I expect I would not be able to attach my new drive via eSATA and get it formatted. I would enjoy being corrected on this, and I realize it might be worth a try. My magic screwdriver arrives sometime today, but I leave town for a few days tomorrow, so I am likely not going to get to this until I get back. Not much I hoped to record that I can't find online, either.

Take care,
Rob T
frenchophile likes this.
post #215 of 234 (permalink) Old 2019-07-23, 07:07 PM
Rookie

Back in town, gamebit screwdriver in hand, and got an eSATA case. I thought I'd try plugging in the eSATA case with the SSD to see if the 630 would offer to format it - nope, not astonishing but unfortunate :-(
I guess the only thing is Option-4-9-8-8. Is there a way to confirm that the external drive is recognized as something useful? How do I do "Diag R"?

Rob T
post #216 of 234 (permalink) Old 2019-07-23, 09:24 PM
Rookie

I have the SSD in the 630 now. When do I do the Options-4-9-8-8? And maybe tell me again exactly how to do it? After a reset from holding the power button, the box displays "strt", then "runo", then "hold" and then displays video, and then after awhile, it report there is no hard drive installed. I start hitting Options-4-9-8-8 as soon as I see video and keep trying, pressing Exit to get out of the Options menu that always comes up when I hit "Options". This is just not working for me :-( Is it really this hard? Does this still work for firmware 56.05?

Or is this the time I do a reauthorization?

Update: OK, got into the menu (still not sure how or that I could do it again) and did a factory reset. I wasn't sure what to do with the erase/preserve "CSS installation data" - I chose to preserve. What is that? The box came up on CPAC and I issued an online reauth. Waiting to see if I can tell when that takes effect.

Update 2: Well, my guide is back, my channels seem back, but I have not seen an offer to reformat the hard drive and the status shows "no internal hard drive". What now?

Rob T

Last edited by rob_t; 2019-07-23 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Add Q
post #217 of 234 (permalink) Old 2019-07-23, 11:05 PM
Veteran

It looks like the SSD is not being recognized. There may be a way to make the SSD work but I am unaware of it. It looks like it's time to try a standard 1TB hard drive. I would go for a 5400 RPM 2.5" drive with 128MB cache.
post #218 of 234 (permalink) Old 2019-07-23, 11:16 PM
Rookie

So the Seagate ST1000LM035 & ST1000LM048, and the WD Blue WD10SPZX all meet that spec - thoughts? I have seen folks happy with the WD AV-25 WD10JUCT with a 16Mb cache - I guess the 128Mb could be better for a PVR?

And would someone comment on if there's a trick to the Options-4-9-8-8 step, and when the HD format happens?

RT

Last edited by rob_t; 2019-07-23 at 11:32 PM.
post #219 of 234 (permalink) Old 2019-07-24, 01:50 PM

Some new drives have no partition set, so can't be formatted automatically.
Verify on Windows that a partition exists.
Disk Management can create one.
post #220 of 234 (permalink) Old 2019-07-24, 01:57 PM
Veteran

It's probably a good idea to freshly format the drive with a single Windows partition, not sure if it's required. Formatting will ensure that a drive signature and partition table exist. If the drive has been wiped or never been formatted they may be missing and may be required. The HDPVR 630, like most PVRs, uses multiple Linux partitions so it doesn't use the Windows partition that exists an many new drives. Checking the drive with an extended SMART routine might be a good idea as well, especially if the drive has been in use for some time.
post #221 of 234 (permalink) Old 2019-07-25, 11:26 AM
Rookie

Thanks guys - I did format my Samsung SSD with the "Computer Management" -> "Storage" -> "Disk Management" snap-in on a Windows 7 box before dropping it into the 630. It was a virgin drive at that point. I think I created an MBR-style partition table as opposed to a GPT-style partition table, and I think I created an NTFS volume in a single partition. If that sounds like the wrong choice to anyone, I'm all ears.

I have a new WD Blue WD10SPZX coming today.

Still asking: is there a trick to the Options-4-9-8-8 step (seems extraordinarily tough to hit), and when does the HD format happen?

Rob T
post #222 of 234 (permalink) Old 2019-07-25, 12:14 PM

The remote shortcut to factory reset is OPTIONS, 4, 9, 8, 8, 6. That should work every time!
RuralRouter likes this.
post #223 of 234 (permalink) Old 2019-07-25, 07:20 PM
Rookie

So I got my WD Blue WD10SPZX, formatted it with a MBR partition table, did get a factory reset done (thanks, @k801809 ), and sent an online "Refresh TV Receiver" request. From showing CPAC on 291 and not knowing other channels, I see my classic channel lineup and can tune to them, so I know the "hit" worked. But I didn't get an offer to format the hard drive. I got the "no HD found" error before I sent the hit - do I need to be faster with the hit?

What causes the HD to be reformatted, and what does that look like?

Also wondering if I should lay down an MS-DOS FAT32 filesystem on the HD. Might try that in the morning.

Rob T

Last edited by rob_t; 2019-07-25 at 09:12 PM.
post #224 of 234 (permalink) Old 2019-07-26, 09:01 PM
Rookie

Does this look bad to anyone else?

So ... I noticed something that might be an important clue.

If I do Options-6-4-9-7-7-1 and go to Disk diagnostics, the unit now knows what model and serial number the drive is, but thinks it has zero bytes. I would expect the drive size to be reported correctly.

If I do Options-6-4-9-8-8-6 to go to the Factory Reset menu, it reports :"PVR hard drive content" - "No Hard Drive Found". I would expect from reading the 530 drive upgrade thread that I would have a choice to erase the hard drive, and I do not. Is the 630 different here? Or does a format happen after a hit?

Are the things I observe above normal? I wonder if there is something else that's wrong.

The original 320Gb disk is truly scrogged - neither a Windows box nor my Mac can identify it if it is attached via an external case.

I did reformat my Samsung SSD with a FAT32 filesystem to see if it mattered; I could see the drive ID in Diag R but it showed up as 0 bytes, and nothing happened after a Factory Reset and a "hit". I had to wait some time between the reset and the hit - SD's website was not cooperating for awhile.

I have reformatted my WD Blue drive and may try this again with it when I can issue another hit. But I wanted to describe what I'm seeing.

Rob T
post #225 of 234 (permalink) Old 2019-07-26, 11:00 PM
Veteran

I would try a FAT32 filesystem. Other possibilities are no filesystem or GPT instead of MBR. NTFS is not native to Linux (though often supported) so that may be messing it up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in