Shaw Direct 630 Official Problems / Issues / Resolutions Thread. Read posts 1, 2 - Page 70 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1036 of 1262 (permalink) Old 2012-01-22, 04:51 PM
Veteran

I would edit my above post if I could, but here's the update. I did email ask Jim and a replacement 630 is on the way and my account will be set to active once more..
Got a call as a result of the email and had a decent conversation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1037 of 1262 (permalink) Old 2012-01-25, 02:38 PM

Hi, I've been running a 630 for just over 2 weeks, and I have a couple observations/questions I hope I can get some help with. Just for a little background info, I switched to SD from cogeco, and had the Pace HDPVR.

1. The 630 is significantly slower than the pace box. Slow when browsing through the guide, slow when setting a recording.

2. I cannot pause a live show, then switch to another channel while maintaining channel 1 in pause mode. This is something i used to do with the cogeco pace box. Now when I pause and try to change channels, it unpauses my program first. This leads me to another question - Is there an option/button to 'swap' tuners?

3. The guide is very ugly, and too bright with the white borders. This causes almost instant burn-in on my plasma. This has become a constant annoyance now, and was never a problem with my cogeco pace box - it had more of a darker/blue interface. Hopefully there are other color schemes somewhere, and I am missing that option?

Any comments/answers/feedback would be greatly appreciated!
post #1038 of 1262 (permalink) Old 2012-01-25, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzink View Post
I would edit my above post if I could, but here's the update. I did email ask Jim and a replacement 630 is on the way and my account will be set to active once more..
Got a call as a result of the email and had a decent conversation.
I'm glad you were able to resolve your issue. I often say it's the luck of the draw with customer care. You obviously didn't draw well on that one day. Glad it worked out. Just make sure you don't get charged to have your account reactivated. :-)

The Hans

post #1039 of 1262 (permalink) Old 2012-01-28, 05:56 PM

I think this is a known issue with the 600 series receives, but I just want to confirm. I have a 630 PVR and a DSR600. Once in a these receivers will drop the signal and say acquiring signal please wait. Other times it will say subscription required on subscribed channels. Most time this corrects itself within a day or so. Really annoying! I also have the problem that the guide is all messed up and the channels don't match. I have checked the cables with a Coax tester and the dish is good. Any one have any ideas.
post #1040 of 1262 (permalink) Old 2012-01-28, 07:50 PM
Veteran

Do you have direct cables coming from the dish to each receiver? No splitters?

Sounds like your channel mapping might be mixed up. Phone up SD and do a couple of rehits. This can be done without talking to anyone. Or you can do the rehits/refreshes from the Self Serve section of the SD website.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #1041 of 1262 (permalink) Old 2012-01-29, 12:30 AM

Nope direct line to the reciever. I think I did something stupid though. Out Of frustration I did a factory reset and now it says acquiring signal. I have tried a refresh and nothing. Oops! Did I toast it?
post #1042 of 1262 (permalink) Old 2012-01-29, 12:32 AM

Nope direct line to the reciever. I think I did something stupid though. Out Of frustration I did a factory reset and now it says acquiring signal. I have tried a refresh and nothing. Oops! Did I toast it? I did a bunch of rehits before and nothing.
post #1043 of 1262 (permalink) Old 2012-01-29, 12:40 PM
Veteran

This is a firmware bug and a very bad one. Just last night my 630 rebooted spontaneously and when it came back no channels were watchable. It said every channel was blocked due to parental controls (even though they are not) and would not display anything until the security code was entered. It's not the first time this happened and not the only receiver. (Before anyone says its a signal issue, Ecb/No was over 10 on both tuners.)

Here is the clincher, it wouldn't let me enter the security code either. Every time I entered the first digit, it would erase it and go back to the first digit entry again. After entering some invalid digits and making it fail, it would then let me enter the correct first digit and the complete code.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #1044 of 1262 (permalink) Old 2012-01-29, 07:51 PM

Ok here is what I was told to do to fix the issue by CS
Unplugg the receiver and unscrew the sat cable.
Plug the receiver back in and leave it for 3 minutes
screw the sat cable back in and then send a refresh signal either by phoning CS or using the website.

Worked for me thought I would share.
post #1045 of 1262 (permalink) Old 2012-01-31, 08:49 AM

pixelization / blocky picture during recording playback

I've only owned the dsr 630 for a few weeks, and I got a dish tune, new lnb but I still have noticed pixelization at times when watching back recordings... Very annoying and frustrating... Never have had this issue watching anything live, unless a rain/snow storm, but it happens quite a bit on recordings (most notibably on SD channels)... I even plugged the unit directly into the wall instead of a powerbar as per shaw direct technician's advice, as he said these units are very sensitive to power?? what kind of equipment did I buy?... i don't understand why these units glitch like this in recording, and yes I have the most up to date software... any ideas what is happening here?

thanks in advance
post #1046 of 1262 (permalink) Old 2012-01-31, 08:58 AM

posted my 2 cents worth in your original forum...
post #1047 of 1262 (permalink) Old 2012-04-01, 11:59 AM

Woke up this morning and all my channels say "Not Subscribed", re-booted 4 times, went online and refreshed the receiver 3 times and still nothing, called support and I have an hour wait.........nice. This happens once in a while but the refresh usually fixes it. Hope I get a call back before the Jays game starts.
post #1048 of 1262 (permalink) Old 2012-04-20, 12:18 PM
DHC Supporter

Billy34

I have noticed the same issue, on HD channels as well, found no resolve yet.
post #1049 of 1262 (permalink) Old 2012-04-20, 03:47 PM
Veteran

I've seen that a number of times as well. It usually happens after a signal loss, such as after a heavy thunderstorm or wet snow on the dish. A reboot usually fixes it.

At 20 I had a good mind. At 40 I had money. At 60 I've lost my mind and my money. Oh, to be 20 again. --Scary
post #1050 of 1262 (permalink) Old 2012-04-21, 12:42 AM
Rookie

EVPHD 630 how to reformat harddrive?

I let the harddrive fill up on my EVPHD 630 PVE from Shaw.

After manually deleting shows to make room for new recordings (which I should not need to do by the way dont't get me started, a 5 yr old could make better software "Long live TIVO"), the newly recorded shows are not viewable. Some would have a duration of >500 hrs (basically garbage).

I then performed a factory reset and cleared all shows.

Then I could record and view 1 show that I was currently watching, scheduled shows still were not viewable, some of the newly scheduled recorded shows had the correct show duration indicated in the pvr menu, others did not, none the schedule recorded shows were viewable. And sometimes the PVR would always indicate it was recording on both tuners when it was not.

Diagnostics indicate the harddrive has passed the test.

So I would like to clear everything, reformat the hard drive and start over.

Do I need to reformat the harddrive? WIll it fix this mess?

What are my options?

thanks in advance for any suggestions, my warrenty period is up by the way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in