Shaw Direct 630 Official Problems / Issues / Resolutions Thread. Read posts 1, 2 - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-14, 08:09 AM

My biggest gripe so far is blotchy playback of recorded shows.

Most (well over 70%) of my recordings will skip a few frames every minute or so, it's like a 1/4second edit has been cut out. Or, it will pixelate every so often. Doesn't matter if HD or SD, various channels no recording going on in background. Usually only one recording at a time. LiveDisk is on. Watching live TV does exhibit the same behaviour

If others are getting clean playback, please let me know and I will escalate.

Other than that, it's been fine, no missed recordings or reboots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-14, 08:16 AM
QCK

The playback is flawless on my 630 receivers. I am very happy with it, much better than the 530. Either there is an issue with your 630, or your dish is not adjusted correctly causing your pixelation issues.
post #93 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-14, 08:35 AM

have to agree... so far (fingers crossed) my 630 has been flawless in recording and playback.

The screen resolution issue (zoomed top left corner) when going from HD recorded to SD live is a bug to me, but apparently it is being worked on. I have yet to really put the machine through its paces, but it has handled multiple recordings, ppv recording while switched off and has scheduled shows for the week of the 20th well!

I said before, pixellated playback sounds like a harddrive issue- I would escalate.

Shaw Direct DVR830 / DVR 605/ 605, Sony Xbr65" 950E", Sony XBR4 850d, Oppo 980H, Yamaha 7.1 Surround, PS4! WDLive

post #94 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-14, 09:02 AM

This morning I'm watching 240 (RDSHD) and I hit guide. Use the arrow key to look for a show on 240. The rest of the channels on the guide go blank but listing for 240 is there except that the 240 label on the left is all mangled up . I exit, try again, same results. I exit try again and all the sudden screen goes blank for a few seconds. I'm thinking reboot but no... the receiver changes channel to 244, the channel I was on before tuning to 240. The guide is working now.

I'm alone in the house so no one is using another remote. Being in Texas in my home away from home there are no other Canadian neighbors using SD.

Weird.
post #95 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-14, 09:49 AM

I am having a problem with the 630 remote interacting with another receiver. I have the 630 in our main living room and then in the basement I have my regular HD receiver. I have noticed over the last few days that the remote for the 630 interacts with the reg HD receiver in the basement while we are using it on the 630 upstairs. It somehow is creating timers, changing channels, turning it on and off etc on the reg HD receiver. Is there a way to change the 630 remote frequency or something so it won't so this?
post #96 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-14, 10:11 AM

yes- you can do this on either receiver. Options, remote address, set a new code, default is 0000.

This has been discussed- search 'remote address'

Shaw Direct DVR830 / DVR 605/ 605, Sony Xbr65" 950E", Sony XBR4 850d, Oppo 980H, Yamaha 7.1 Surround, PS4! WDLive
post #97 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-14, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouser View Post
yes- you can do this on either receiver. Options, remote address, set a new code, default is 0000.

This has been discussed- search 'remote address'
I did a quick search and didn't find that guess I didn't look enough. Thanks for the reply will fix that when I get home.
post #98 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-14, 11:05 AM

Clear Playback

Recordings on both my 630's are much better with very few drops or pixilation. Much better than on my old 530.

with Telus Optic
post #99 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-14, 11:14 AM

Cannot Delete Manual Recording Timer

I set up a Manual recording timer with Weekly Frequency. After some time, I deleted the timer, however, it still shows up in the Upcoming REC screen.

In addition, the timer was set to fire starting Sep 20, 9pm. However, yesterday, at 9:30pm, I realized that the timer is already active as the 630 indicated that dual recordings are in progress....of course, there was nothing being recorded on the 2nd line. However, it locked the channel changes until the other scheduled recording (not the manual recording timer) ended.

Any ideas on how to clear/delete this manual timer for good.
post #100 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-14, 11:17 AM
ard

Recording issues

1. Last night Lie to Me was set to record on one recorder and Big Bang Theory was set on second. Lie to Me did not record. This morning it was still in the upcoming list and the recording light was on. Selected the recording and chose stop this recording. The front panel light was still on but the program was removed from the list. If it had been still recording, the terminated recording did not appear in the list of recordings. Had to do a front panel reset. (second one in about three weeks of use). (all HD) Castle was also set to record later and did not.

2. While watching playback of recorded Up in the Air, there were many moments of short video glitches and audio drop outs. Maybe a couple dozen during the movie (1:50 min). Recorded a couple of weeks ago on either 281 or 282, don't recall and didn't look before deleting.
post #101 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-14, 12:00 PM

Ard -- problem number one is most likely "tuner lockup" which seems to happen from time to time.

I've had it happen twice, always there was no particular reason for it -- not taxing the system, no power outage, no strange issues predating the lockup.

So a problem with no warning that will cause 630s to not record when they should. I suspect tuner lockup will be one of the problems that haunt the 630 and annoy us all.

Hopefully this issue is on the list on things to address next firmware.

Problem #2 has been reported by others here a lot, so you're not alone. I haven't had this particular problem though. I've had a few, but far less than I did on the 530.

ATV3 / Unblock-US / Netflix / HuluPlus / Samsung LNT3242H
post #102 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-14, 01:16 PM

Ok, this might be getting down into the overly picky category, but aside from the quirks and issues already discussed in this thread:

Viewing by "Interest" there is no way to see which programs are on a subscribed channel or not except to actually select the program in question and select "more information" - not even the channel numbers are displayed until you do this.

I understand that one program might have more than one air date upcoming and it's possible to have one upcoming on a subscribed channel and another on an unsubscribed channel but it would be nice if there was some grey-out or ability to remove programs that only appear on unsubbed channels. In fact, the lack of this functionality makes this feature almost useless.
post #103 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-14, 01:19 PM
ard

Missed recordings is totally unexceptable, period!

Drop outs, even minor, are also unexceptable.

When I first got my 530 (didn't trade it in so paid full price, $400 for the 630) I had many problems with audio dropouts. As time went on this improved without a firmware update so I am guessing the problems were with the networks or Shaws handling of the network feeds. Recently I have had no problems with recordings or audio on the 530. It never didn't record a show it was suppose to record!

So am I happy with the 630. No, for the reasons above. The 530 was more trustworthy in recent times, other than the frequent resets needed. I missed no recordings and the video and audio was pretty much trouble free.

Shaw needs to fix these problems. I am aware that other people have reported them, but everyone who experiences these problems needs to report them so they will take it seriously.

I have not been impressed with Shaws customer service. They promised firmware updates and features for the 505/530 series and didn't deliver. They turned my HD201 and 500 into bricks and I got to buy new hardware at a reduced price. They turned it into bricks, it should have been free! They are about to do the same with the 505/530 models, if they ever get their new bird up. So far I have five Shaw bricks sitting in the basement.

I would trade the 530 for another 630 but I am not prepared to do so until Shaw fixes the 630!
post #104 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-14, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tico
Ok, this might be getting down into the overly picky category

I agree wholeheartedly!

I tried searching for PPV movies on last night, and the results were pitiful. When I checked on the guide there were lots of PPV movies on that I was interested in, but when searching using the today/PPV movie/all genres search terms hardly anything showed up in the list. So, useless.

My other nitpick about search is not so much the unsubbed showing, but I'd like to search only HD programming and I don't see an option for that -- unless I missed it. I don't care if the show I want is on countless Standard Def CTV stations, I only want to see the HD viewings. And I don't want to hit info on every one to determine this either.

ATV3 / Unblock-US / Netflix / HuluPlus / Samsung LNT3242H

Last edited by ElenaH; 2010-09-14 at 01:24 PM. Reason: added quote as another post showed up before mine
post #105 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-14, 01:44 PM

If the information is not in the guide provided by a third party then the 630 can not find it. This is not an SD issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in