Shaw Direct 630 Official Problems / Issues / Resolutions Thread. Read posts 1, 2 - Page 67 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #991 of 1262 (permalink) Old 2011-10-30, 12:10 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the advice. Any ideas how I will quickly know if my device is one of the bad ones?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1262 (permalink) Old 2011-10-30, 12:37 PM
Rookie

I would say buy it! There are lemons in every electonic line. I am still on my original 630 I got back in August of 2010 when it was first released and still works quite well. I think most of the problems are software/firmware related so at some point they can be fixed. There is still one annoying problem that does show up from time to time and thats pixelling. The image and sound will cut out for like a half second every few minutes. It's no where as bad in this current firmware (6.22) as it was in the last firmware (4.06) but its still happens from time to time.
post #993 of 1262 (permalink) Old 2011-10-30, 05:51 PM
Rookie

Looking into getting an Ku-Band Amplifier

Right now, my 505 can decode just fine though I can't verify the HD video because my HD set died and I only had a spare CRT monitor (4×3). Meanwhile I still have a DSR 530 since I can't at this time afford the 630 (I've also cut back on my packages; I'm saving up for a Nissan LEAF).

Anyway, so the DSR 530 can't get a signal yet mainly because of the neighbour's tree. So I want to look into a Ku-band amplifier for the 530. Has anyone tried this? Can anyone recommend anything?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I'm sick of having to Bit Torrent Being Erica when I'm paid up and subscribed in good standing with Shaw Direct but just can't get a bloody signal for 8 months of the year.

post #994 of 1262 (permalink) Old 2011-10-31, 07:30 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeHorse View Post
Anyway, so the DSR 530 can't get a signal yet mainly because of the neighbour's tree. So I want to look into a Ku-band amplifier for the 530. Has anyone tried this? Can anyone recommend anything?
If it's a tree in the way, you're probably getting zero signal, if not all the time then certainly intermittently. Amplifying zero won't help.

At any rate, the only "Ku band amplifier" I've ever seen is a bigger dish
post #995 of 1262 (permalink) Old 2011-10-31, 07:48 AM
Rookie

Last night I was recording a show, yet the REC1 light wasn't on. I checked it from the PVR list and it was recording fine. Then I had a 2nd (simultaneous) recording start and only the REC1 light came on, but they both recorded. Weird.
post #996 of 1262 (permalink) Old 2011-11-24, 10:58 AM
Rookie

Last night I had a message on my 630 stating all my programs were protected and there was no room to record. I checked my pvr list and it was empty as well my programming was gone. I performed pvr flush and that didn't work. I tried recording a program and it locked up. After checking the HD health it reported Failed filesystem.

Called SD and after an hour it was confirmed the HD died so they are sending me a new one. The drive only lasted 14 months so hopefully this is not an indication their quality.

While I was on the phone I mentioned I needed an LNB upgrade from my stack to non stacked to get the local mpeg4 channels. I was told since it was an upgrade and not a repair it would cost $47, but offered a 50% discount. I asked him if next year when F3 is launched would everyone need to pay to upgrade the LNB to receive new chanels to which didn't know. I told him I would wait to see if it crapped out before F3 was available so I could get a free upgrade instead of having to pay.
post #997 of 1262 (permalink) Old 2011-12-02, 04:01 AM
Rookie

Got my replacement and it is performing well today. I hope #2 doesn't act up. It has very occasionally been pixellating. Anyway, at the moment we have 2 good 630's.
post #998 of 1262 (permalink) Old 2011-12-02, 07:04 AM
Rookie

@isb 534

re: the stacked lnb conversion. You need to push a little more as I received the conversion, ( including installation of 2 more cable runs ) at no charge.
post #999 of 1262 (permalink) Old 2011-12-02, 10:32 AM
Rookie

Comparing service providers

Hello all. This I my first post on this forum. I found it while doing a google search as a result of my frustration with Shaw Direct. I have been a customer for about 15 years and have four receivers in my home. I have conducted all of my own installations and upgrades over the years and other than phone support to activate new receivers I have never had any support from Shaw / Star Choice. In early November, I called to order a HDPVR and multi switch. The muti switch is because I already have four receivers and need to run a fifth line for the PVR. The agent told me that I would have to buy the multi switch unless I payed to have the upgrade conducted by an installer. I told her that I intended to install myself and that I knew of others in my community who self installed and did not have to buy the multi switch. She just kept repeating herself and told me that her English was not very good.
The next day I "e-mailed" Shaw to get clarification. The e-mail is through a form on their website and is not really e-mail. (not saved in outlook). They said that they never got my original message and asked me to send them a copy of it. It took me 18 days and several messages to finally get some resolution. This was an extremely frustrating process.
Before I go spending more money on Shaw, is Bell any better? Or would I be throwing out more money for equipment and be no further ahead in terms of cost, quality or customer service?
post #1000 of 1262 (permalink) Old 2011-12-02, 11:02 AM
Rookie

Same Problem

Hey Famineguy,
You are not alone, I had the exact same problem & experience you had. I have 2 dishes installed and they told me that this was not the proper way to do it and that I must buy a multiswitch before they would help or even talk to me. I too have been a Shaw/Start Choice subscriber for about 15 years. When I purchased my 2nd 630 I put up another dish I bought off someone in a newspaper add because I was told I could only purchase a dish off the Shaw installation guy. What a crock ! I was also thinking about moving to another satellite company but I have a lot of money invested in equipment for Shaw Direct. Currently I own (2) 630's, (1) 530, (2) SD receivers.
I am paying $116.00 +/mth for programming, and I also notice every month it seems to be going up for whatever reason. What to do ? ?
post #1001 of 1262 (permalink) Old 2011-12-02, 11:23 AM
Rookie

greatger

Thanks for the reply. . . Still not sure if I should stay or not. They have now offered a discount on the PVR. . . .small peanuts.
post #1002 of 1262 (permalink) Old 2011-12-02, 03:11 PM
Rookie

I believe the answer is to go to the Bell threads and other threads discussing this and then make up your own mind. Hope you got a discount and free multiswitch and no shipping!
post #1003 of 1262 (permalink) Old 2011-12-02, 04:35 PM
Rookie

Famineguy - to be clear, you have 4 receivers and want to get the PVR. The new PVR will require 2 lines, so you will be up to 6 lines required.

You will need a multiswitch, but you don't need to get it from SD. For that matter, you don't need to get the PVR from SD. FutShop and BestBuy sell them.

There is a good sticky thread on Multi-switches in this forum to answer all of your questions, including what you can get from eBay. Note - all four lines must come directly from dish into muti-switch, then from multi-switch out to all of your receivers.
post #1004 of 1262 (permalink) Old 2011-12-02, 10:38 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the replies.
I endedup staying with SD. This morning they gave me a discount on the DVR and gave me the multi switch. However, this experience has washed away any trickle of loyalty that I may have had with them.
post #1005 of 1262 (permalink) Old 2011-12-09, 02:40 PM
Rookie

Loading.....Please Wait

I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere, but......

I never turn the power off on my 630, and just this week on Mon/Tues/Wed, when I came home from work and turn on TV, there is a message on the screen "Loading..Please Wait". The only way to make it disappear is to turn power off/on on remote. After 3 days of this, decided to do hard reboot hoping that would stop it. But lo and behold thursday came home, same thing.

What is that? glitch? is there a way to make it stop doing that?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in