Shaw Direct 630 Official Problems / Issues / Resolutions Thread. Read posts 1, 2 - Page 60 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #886 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-11, 11:44 AM

I have a HTPC running under Win7. Every day at 5:00am I perform a scheduled task that will Shutdown and Restart.

I do believe it really helps as this is mainly use by the kids and I rarely have to deal with issues on the PC.

So a scheduled soft reset on the 630 could be good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #887 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-11, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post
Ok, so I checked with my Bell PVR last night and I have 56 timers set to record various shows. It runs great, no slow down, never misses a recording, the guide comes up fast, everything functions as a PVR should.

I don't see why the 630 would have a 50 timer limit to it if it is supposed to be newer, and especially since Shaw Direct advertises the 630 as "Canada's most advanced PVR".

After reading the forums here I challenge that claim. It seems like the 630 is the least advanced PVR in canada if you are limited to only 50 timers, running out of memory, not being able to record shows, needing to manually reset the receiver. It seems the 630 is a major step backwards.

Even though I am desperately looking for an alternative, I hate to say it but I have no choice but to stay with Bell.
I'm a Dish Network subscriber. As we all know Bell is using DN tech. I have my Dish 622 right next to my 630. If I was in Canada, there is not a single chance in hell that I would switch from Bell to SD.

My DN receiver which I have now for 4 years maybe is "lightyears" ahead of the 630, in every respect. Plus it never missed a recording in all those years.
post #888 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-12, 08:01 PM

My most advanced receiver in Canada went nuts today. Missed 2 recordings with the white dot sitting in the guide. Three times the channel changed by itself, and I rebooted it twice. After I couldn't get any recordings to play, I pulled the plug for 10 minutes. It seems not too bad now except for some pixelation. This thing needs an update now!

post #889 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-13, 07:39 PM

Strange... sometime during the day today the 630 decided to forget all the recordings we'd setup. A reboot didn't bring them back. Had quite a number of shows setup to record new episodes.
post #890 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-13, 07:50 PM

Not strange really. It's a 630 feature. They might re-appear in a few days. Don't go about redoing them all until you absolutely must. You might get stuck deleting a ton of duplicates later.

Also, try a hard reboot (unplug for 60 seconds then replug).
post #891 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-13, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Strange... sometime during the day today the 630 decided to forget all the recordings we'd setup. A reboot didn't bring them back. Had quite a number of shows setup to record new episodes.
See my post earlier on. That happened to me and I had to reset all my recordings. The good thing was that it speeded up my receiver dramatically.
Lester
post #892 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-14, 08:38 AM
Rookie

Same thing here, i had all my recordings not want to recorder anymore after a random reset. all i did was play around with the priority on a couple shows and then exited out and it took about 5 min but they all went back to normal.

"Great product"
post #893 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-14, 10:08 AM
Veteran

Don't be too quick to reenter your timers.

Quote:
They might re-appear in a few days. Don't go about redoing them all until you absolutely must.
Yes, don't be too quick to reenter your timers.

I "lost" reoccurring timers from the menu after a 5 minute power failure. They reappeared about 24 hours later but by then I had reentered new timers. So, "Upcoming recordings" had duplicate listings, same program, same channel, same time etc. and the 630 doesn't like that. It will result in a broken recording, for the first timer and a reschedule for the second which will probably fail too or result in a lockup.
post #894 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-14, 12:34 PM

I agree, don't be too quick to re-enter timers.

After a prolonged power outage in my neighbourhood, I too "lost" all my recurring timers.

A soft reset didn't work, but I went into recording options, and picked a recording, changed it from a certain channel to All channels and exited out (like boyharris mentioned)

After it finished saving I went back in and all my recordings had fixed themselves.

Perhaps you just have to force a refresh of the recording list by making it re-save? May be a quick workaround until that firmware upgrade fixes everything

ATV3 / Unblock-US / Netflix / HuluPlus / Samsung LNT3242H
post #895 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-14, 04:29 PM

When my 630 lost all its scheduled recordings I had a message in the message box to tell me that all my recordings were lost and to re set all my scheduled recordings. I did that and the receiver has worked well since. It is also faster to set a recording. Now takes 2 seconds whereas before it took 10 to 15 seconds. Now I can erase a scheduled recording in two to three seconds. Before it took anywhere up to two minutes. My 530 records and eliminates scheduled recordings instantly.
Lester
post #896 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-17, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post
Ok, so I checked with my Bell PVR last night and I have 56 timers set to record various shows. It runs great, no slow down, never misses a recording, the guide comes up fast, everything functions as a PVR should.

I don't see why the 630 would have a 50 timer limit to it if it is supposed to be newer, and especially since Shaw Direct advertises the 630 as "Canada's most advanced PVR".

After reading the forums here I challenge that claim. It seems like the 630 is the least advanced PVR in canada if you are limited to only 50 timers, running out of memory, not being able to record shows, needing to manually reset the receiver. It seems the 630 is a major step backwards.

Even though I am desperately looking for an alternative, I hate to say it but I have no choice but to stay with Bell.
You would completely lose it if you had to deal with a 641x or RNG200N. The 630 isn't as bad as you make it seem, it merely inconveniences you sometimes.
post #897 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-17, 03:33 PM

Quote:
You would completely lose it if you had to deal with a 641x or RNG200N. The 630 isn't as bad as you make it seem, it merely inconveniences you sometimes.
What may be a slight inconvenience to some, may be a major problem for others. Missing recordings, loosing recordings, having to manually reset, and reprogram your recordings may be minor to you, but those are major problems to me (and it seems others feel the same way here).

Being limited to only 50 timers is another thing I would not want to have either.

I am waiting to switch to SD, the only thing that is holding me back is the PVR. I hope the new firmware update released to the public last evening will fix all the issues and I can make the switch. For me the PVR functionality is a ajor part of my decision as to what tv company to go with.
post #898 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-17, 05:56 PM

Wink

Quote:

56 timers, wow, that's a lot of tv your watching there. Be careful if you use too many Bell might install UBB on Bell PVRs. You might get limited to 25 timers after which you will need to add an insurance block of 3 timers for $5, up to a maximum of 3 blocks. Or go with $4 per additional timers with a maximum surcharge of $60 for up to 50 timers total after which the timers in excess of 50 will be $1.75 each with no limit for the surcharge. Bell TV UBB, the only thing stopping them is nothing if they want. LOL

Bell may have the superior PVR for now, but it's not the superior company. Even though I was satisfied with Bell ExpressVu, I had no choice but to quit Bell for what it represents as a company.
post #899 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-17, 06:27 PM

velix

I am well aware of the type of corporation bell canada is, specifically what they are trying to do with the internet. It is one of the reasons I am looking to switch to Shaw. I have probably been versed in bell's wrong doings long before you even realized you were getting shafted by Bell.

But at the same time, as I've said before, a proper working PVR is 1st on my list of priorities when it comes to TV. I never watch TV live I am too busy. And if I don't have a functioning PVR, I may as well download my shows and cancel satellite all together.

I don't mind paying for programming, but it has to be easier than my other options, and that means I pick a show I want to watch, set a timer and it automatically records new episodes (and works flawlessly). If I have to put any more effort into it than that, the entire satellite service becomes useless to me, regardless of who I have service with.

Trust me, I can't wait to dump Bell. I have ditched their internet and phone service them years ago, as well as helped many others make the switch.
post #900 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-17, 07:40 PM

Hi DJEclipse

I know. I've seen your posts before. It was said with humour in mind. I wonder though if should edit the joke out. I'm worried someone at Bell might see it and decide it's a good idea. They just increased caller id to $10.95 lately. There's no stopping their greed.

Did Shaw make you an offer for a 630? When I called and told them I was with Bell they offered it at $200 minus $100 in programming credit. In essence it comes out to be $100 to own it. There's no contract, the only requirement they told me is to return the receiver if I decide to cancel within the first year. In that year I can even postpone the service for 6 months. After that the PVR is mine to do as I see fit. Other people have exchanged their older receivers for the 630 for $99. Bell would never make such an offer to their clients.

You could hold on to the Bell pvrs for a while if you decide to try out Shaw. In my install we used the same mast and wires. If I decided to go back, all I would need to do is swap out the antenna, aim and reconnect. I'm guessing you could be in a similar situation. The 630 is good. It's different and there's a learning curve, but I'm getting there. Two days ago I reprogrammed my JP1 remotes and they work fine with the Shaw pvr, same as with Bell's pvr. I'm now waiting to be hit with the upgrade to see how it changes.

There is one big advantage for the Shaw PVR versus Bell. If you want to upgrade the internal hard drive to 1 TB from the posts I've read it is much simpler than Bell's pvr.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in