Shaw Direct 630 Official Problems / Issues / Resolutions Thread. Read posts 1, 2 - Page 59 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #871 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-10, 02:35 PM

Hi GaryE & QCK,

We see how quickly rumour, conjecture, speculation, and even less turns into "more broken promises", endless "carrots", "no credibility", etc. It's nothing personal, but in order to get away from that we can't provide dates.

When things are ready to go (and by that I mean actually on the satellite with units targeted), we'll let you know. If the admins/mods are agreeable to it, we've got some release notes ready that we'd love to make a "sticky" out of on the first day of the download to facilitate the next round of discussion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-10, 02:57 PM

Release notes would be wonderful... I was wondering how we might be informed of fixes or enhancements. Emphasis on 'enhancements'. *s*

And I can't speak for anyone else, but I would much rather see an update sent out once it has been thoroughly tested, rather than something rushed out to meet a promised or perceived deadline.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop, SD 630.
post #873 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-10, 02:59 PM

SD 630 Support

I typically only record specific series and only want new episodes (not repeats).

With Bell I believe I have over 60 different series I have it set to record. Are you saying with Shaw I have a limit on how many series due to memory issues of the 630?

I want to make the switch so bad, but the 630 really has me worried.

post #874 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-10, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I did par down my list last night
All the series records I deleted to par down my list were old ones, shows that weren't on right now…

so I'm wondering if the fact that they were all shows that aren't on now, all N/A's caused the problem or if it was simply the sheer number (52)

Because now I only have 36 timers and that seems like a small amount. I wonder whether one can have 60 regular series/new timers like DJEclipse mentions without problem??

And I thought SD twitter'd some sort of release date for the new firmware upgrade the other day?? Or was it the infamous "coming soon"?

ATV3 / Unblock-US / Netflix / HuluPlus / Samsung LNT3242H
post #875 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-10, 05:30 PM
QCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 630 Support View Post
Stay tuned. The HDPVR 630 is still only on it's 2nd software update - there are some big sky enhancements in the next version.
I would love to know what is going to be included in this coming update and the one following it. Do tell...
post #876 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-10, 06:17 PM

Anything short of fixing ALL the know bugs will be a letdown.

Bug fixes are NOT enhancements so for the "big sky enhancements" it better be things like EHD enablement or something like it...
post #877 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-10, 06:19 PM

I guess something has happened. Lost all my scheduled recordings. (SD has a message on my 630 screen to this effect and that I have to reschedule everything (PVR Error)) I notice that now when I hit the record button I get a relatively quick response whereas before it took ten to fifteen seconds for the recording to set. Also it used to take anywhere up to a minute and a half to erase a scheduled recording of a program and now it does it almost immediately. I notice that I am sill om 13 so the code has not changed. Just hope that the numerous reboots quit too.
Lester
post #878 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-10, 06:47 PM

So are you saying you think there was an update sent out today?

Can anyone form SD confirm this?
post #879 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-10, 08:49 PM

Don't know what has happened but my system is as different as night from day as far as speed is concerned. I had to wait up to a minute and half to delete a program that was set to record. Check your mail to see if you have a message. Maybe it was just my system. And I have never experienced losing all the programs set to record before.
Lester
post #880 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-10, 08:57 PM
Veteran

Your system sped up because memory was freed up when you lost all your scheduled recordings.

My firmware is still at .13 with no new target version.
post #881 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-11, 11:00 AM

Ok, so I checked with my Bell PVR last night and I have 56 timers set to record various shows. It runs great, no slow down, never misses a recording, the guide comes up fast, everything functions as a PVR should.

I don't see why the 630 would have a 50 timer limit to it if it is supposed to be newer, and especially since Shaw Direct advertises the 630 as "Canada's most advanced PVR".

After reading the forums here I challenge that claim. It seems like the 630 is the least advanced PVR in canada if you are limited to only 50 timers, running out of memory, not being able to record shows, needing to manually reset the receiver. It seems the 630 is a major step backwards.

Even though I am desperately looking for an alternative, I hate to say it but I have no choice but to stay with Bell.
post #882 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-11, 11:07 AM

On a side note my Bell PVR seems to go into reboot mode every night around 4:00am. If you're watching tv a screen will come up and say "the receiver is about to download updates do you wish to cancel".

If you hit cancel noting will happen and you continue watching tv. If you leave it the receiver will go into some download/ reboot mode where the fan goes nuts. You can't watch TV at this time and it takes about 5min to complete.

I have no idea what it is actually doing during this time but when it is complete the receiver is the way it was,no lost shows, no lot guide or PVR's.

I'm not sure if it does this every night, or once a week but it does it frequently.

I post this here becasue maybe this is a built in automatic reset type thing the receiver does to make sure it functions properly. Maybe it is purging it's cache, defraging the hard drive etc. so that you never need a manual reset. And it is done late when no one is actually watching the TV.

Maybe this has something to do with why the Bell PVR is runs so well, and the 630 has so many problems and needs manual resets constantly.

Is something like this programed into the 630 as well? If not should it be?
post #883 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-11, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post
I post this here because maybe this is a built in automatic reset type thing the receiver does to make sure it functions properly. Maybe it is purging it's cache, defragging the hard drive etc. so that you never need a manual reset. And it is done late when no one is actually watching the TV.

Maybe this has something to do with why the Bell PVR is runs so well, and the 630 has so many problems and needs manual resets constantly.

Is something like this programed into the 630 as well? If not should it be?
This is a feature inherited from Dish Network whose receivers do the same thing - take a five minutes reboot to check for software updates, check disk health, d/l guide data, etc. I know from reading Dish forums back four or five years ago that among the reasons for the implementation of the daily update was that it drastically cut down on support calls regarding receiver instability.

Whether the 630 needs this function, well, lots of people are rebooting by hand daily, so it would probably be nice if it were automatic. Be even nicer if they just ran steady for weeks at a time, though.
post #884 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-11, 12:03 PM
QCK

The 630 receiver really is very nice. When you add multiple features and options like they have you must write your code in proper structure, and a big part of that is how the memory is dealt with. I'm sure whenever the update comes it will be a much more stable machine and most of the serious complaints about locked tuners, missing recordings and the reboot issue should subside.
post #885 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-11, 12:35 PM
Rookie

The Memo, said that they had an update, and some one else said it might come march 1 2011.

http://twitter.com/#!/ShawDirect_New...47561960693760

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...128667&page=51

Post 761

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in