Shaw Direct 630 Official Problems / Issues / Resolutions Thread. Read posts 1, 2 - Page 58 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #856 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-09, 06:19 AM

Thanks.... that works if it is a HD/SD problem.... but not when it relates to having lost the progress meter on the bottom of the screen.

Hopefully the update will fix all that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #857 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-09, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyharris View Post
probably not coming, as the 530 never really got one.
The 530 got lots of firmware updates.

...the one it didn't get was the one to enable dual recording, which SD announced too early, finding out the 530 platform didn't have enough processing power to properly support it. So the idea was dropped.
post #858 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-09, 09:21 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo54 View Post
........finding out the 530 platform didn't have enough processing power to properly support it.
I think they are finding the same thing with the 630. Time for a 730.

post #859 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-09, 09:57 AM

Okay, I don't know who was doing some voodoo on my 630 -- fate getting me for extolling its virtues perhaps?

I've started to have a few hiccups…

Now, every time something is about to record the remote becomes unusable for the two minutes before. I can't fast forward, can't pause, can't anything. And since I am recording constantly this means every hour my remote becomes moot for a couple minutes.

This never used to happen, then it happened only occasionally if two things were recording, now it happens every time even one thing is recording (and I'm watching a recording).

Also, every time I try to change recording settings, while it's doing it's crazy long saving period it now reboots itself.

So what gives SD Support?
Do I have too many recording events (52?) or is SD friggin around with something? What's changed?

ATV3 / Unblock-US / Netflix / HuluPlus / Samsung LNT3242H
post #860 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-09, 10:22 AM

I've noticed a dew times in the past week that I cannot pause or rewind live TV. It just goes to a blank screen, no sound. Pressing Stop brings it back to live TV. Only noticed on some HD channels, but it has been more than once.
post #861 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-09, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElenaH View Post
So what gives SD Support?
Do I have too many recording events (52?) ?
Probably. If it's rebooting when performing the replan, it's actually completely running out of memory, which triggers a reboot to resolve.

We'd recommend paring down the list a bit. Other providers have simply capped the maximum number of Recording Events you can have, but we don't want to go down that same road - there are too many variables beyond the number of events that need to be considered. (Example: 1 Recording event to record all episodes of The Simpsons on All Channels will obviously require more memory than 1 Recording event to record new episodes of Glee on HD only).

Anyway, the good news is that a number of changes have been made to the amount of memory allocated to various tasks, as well as enhancements in how the receiver actually manages that memory. We haven't seen this issue in the last few versions of code, so you should definitely see better performance after the software update.
post #862 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-09, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp01 View Post
I've noticed a dew times in the past week that I cannot pause or rewind live TV. It just goes to a blank screen, no sound. Pressing Stop brings it back to live TV. Only noticed on some HD channels, but it has been more than once.
Generally when this occurs, the receiver is in a failure state and any future recordings not be created properly. If changing channels doesn't resolve, make sure you do a Front Panel reset to get things back to normal.
post #863 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-09, 02:55 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 630 Support View Post
........seen this issue in the last few versions of code, so you should definitely see better performance after the software update.
So, when is this update going to arrive? Will it fix anything else?
post #864 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-09, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Probably. If it's rebooting when performing the replan, it's actually completely running out of memory, which triggers a reboot to resolve.
Thanks for the explanation. I'll par down the list. I have about 20 or so that are for shows that aren't currently on and are constantly N/A. I was just trying to leave them there so when their new season started next fall it would automatically pick them back up. I did wonder if that was overtaxing the machine.

I assume memory allocation is causing the other problem then too -- the inability to FF etc while it's gearing up to record?

post #865 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-09, 05:39 PM

ElenhaH, you should be our voice with SD.

I think he/they have a soft spot for you and answer ervery question you ask.
post #866 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-10, 09:18 AM

Well, I don't know about a soft spot, but I do try and post my positive experiences along with my gripes so maybe that helps! I'm just thrilled we have some actual SD members here, I hope they don't leave.

I did par down my list last night and discovered that it:
  • no longer reboots when saving recording options
  • really, really cut down on the saving time
  • and now I don't have a remote button lag when something is about to record

so I guess too many recording events is a bad thing for the 630. A shame as next season I'll be back to hunting out premiere dates for everything instead of letting the 630 just pick them up for me.

Perhaps the memory reallocation will help with this – whenever that new firmware comes…

post #867 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-10, 11:20 AM

SD 630 Support

What do you mean by too many recording events? Are you talking about all the shows you have the PVR set up to record, or recordings on a specific day?

I ask becasue my Bell PVR doesn't have a limit on the number of actual different shows you can record, I am well over 60 in total right now.

I am currently with Bell and was ready to switch as of last week, but after reading about all the issues DS has with the 630 I am having second thoughts. PVR performance is #1 priority for myself and a of of other consumers. Hence the reason I still have not made the switch.
post #868 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-10, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post
What do you mean by too many recording events? Are you talking about all the shows you have the PVR set up to record, or recordings on a specific day?
By "Recording Event", we mean each show set to record.

Keep in mind that the 630 is different from other PVRs in that you can set a single show to record on multiple channels, so it only requires a single "recording event" per show you want.

This is great for syndicated or kids shows that air on multiple channels. With my other PVR, I have to set it to record The Simpsons on Global Calgary; and then set a separate Event to record on Comedy Network; and then a separate Event to record on NTV; and a separate Event to record on Fox West; and a separate Event to record on Fox East, and so on. They also have to be managed separate (such as to keep them at the lowest priority, or control the number of episodes retained).

With the 630, I toss in a single Event to record on "SD only", keep "14 episodes", and keep it lowest priority. There's always something to watch and I never get conflicts or miss an episode.

Quote:
Hence the reason I still have not made the switch.
Stay tuned. The HDPVR 630 is still only on it's 2nd software update - there are some big sky enhancements in the next version.
post #869 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-10, 01:45 PM
Veteran

WHEN, WHEN, WHEN is this next update? Please, WHEN? (And please don't say "soon".)

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #870 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-10, 01:52 PM
QCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryE View Post
WHEN, WHEN, WHEN is this next update? Please, WHEN? (And please don't say "soon".)
+1 ^^^^ When?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in