Shaw Direct 630 Official Problems / Issues / Resolutions Thread. Read posts 1, 2 - Page 57 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #841 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-01-24, 08:27 PM

I hope the new firmware comes soon. My 630 was relatively stable up until this weekend.

Yesterday alone I had the following;

Lost phone display

Frozen picture

Spontaneous reboot

Frozen tuner/missed recording (Bob's Burgers, damn)

Randomly unsubscribed channels

Is my machine dying like my old 530's did?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-01-24, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemidart View Post
I hope the new firmware comes soon. My 630 was relatively stable up until this weekend.

Yesterday alone I had the following;

Lost phone display

Frozen picture

Spontaneous reboot

Frozen tuner/missed recording (Bob's Burgers, damn)

Randomly unsubscribed channels

Is my machine dying like my old 530's did?
Mine has been doing all of those things as well.....its getting a bit old now....
post #843 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-01-31, 07:05 AM

Well it happened to me again this weekend... and I am not sure what the root cause of the problem is.

Watching a movie that I had started recording part way through the previous evening. So part of the movie had come from the LOD, the rest was recorded live. It all showed up on my pvr as one continuous recording.

However I noticed that as I ff'd through the commercial breaks, that the on-screen display that indicates how far you are into the movie, how much remaining etc (progress meter?), did NOT come up on the screen. I could not bring it up at all.

At the end of the movie, as soon as I hit 'stop' the on-air program shrank to top left corner. The remainder of the screen remained black.

When I would hit 'exit', the screen would return to normal size, but none of the other buttons would work. I could not change channels. Hitting 'guide" only resulted in the on-air picture shrinking to the upper left corner again.

Of course a front panel reset fixed everything. I was just hoping that there was a more civilized way of recovering from this sort of fault.

I have posted this before... but I didn't get any response as to whether anyone else has experienced this, and if there is another way to get back to normal.

Although similar to the regular channel/High Def screen shrinkage that has been reported many times, this one is different in that changing the channel does not help or even work. And both the movie and the current tv channel were from the same source.

post #844 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-04, 12:59 PM
Rookie

I have it shrink to the top left 90% of the time ,after hitting stop on a recording.Hitting the guide or menu button fixes it quick enough(Sorry if its not that simple for you).Compared to the myriad of other problems(lip-sync issue,switching to a channel and having the unit Choose another for you seconds later,the unit rebooting when you confuse it with too many button presses on the remote,and many,many more),its an easy solution for me.All of these problems are unacceptable though,and the time between new software updates is far to long.This feel like the early days of the 530,when owners were all beta testers for starchoice,(funny,I thought they got paid to do that work).

Last edited by madmardigan; 2011-02-04 at 01:25 PM.
post #845 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-04, 01:35 PM

I wish it worked that easily. "Stop" brings it back to full screen, but any other button seems to shrink it back up again. Including "guide". Will have to try "Menu" next time around but I suspect I have already tried that.
I understand the frustration that many have experienced... mine have not been that severe (fingers crossed, knock wood, etc)... but it would be nice to have a dependable unit and I am remaining optimistic that in time we will.

I just think it strange that with the same software and hardware in each unit, there would be such a wide variety of problems that differ by user.
post #846 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-04, 01:39 PM

Quote:
but none of the other buttons would work
the only thing similar I've had is a huge lag between me pressing a button on the remote and the actual button function happening.

I notice this happens mostly when I am watching a recording and two timers are about to happen or about to end (for 2 minutes before it is to happen or end).

If I try to say, skip forward during this time it won't work. No buttons will work. At first I didn't make the connection because it happened before the two recording icons popped up and I just did a soft reset. By chance the one day I just left it (probably while cursing at it) and saw the two recordings start up, then after a pause, the skip forward I had pressed minutes ago happened.

Guess it can't do three things at once? Wish you could just add some RAM like in a computer.

I've also noticed that if I make changes to my recording options, that while it is busy stuck in the 'saving recording options' lag that it will not record scheduled events. I made the mistake of changing options right at the top of an hour and lost the first 4 mins of two shows because it didn't record until it popped out of that saving period.

Annoying.

ATV3 / Unblock-US / Netflix / HuluPlus / Samsung LNT3242H
post #847 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-04, 02:36 PM
QCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElenaH View Post
Annoying.
That sucks ElenaH, I thought you had one of the magical receivers that had no issues due to your earlier post where your title said:

"No problems at all for nearly two months…"
post #848 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-04, 03:52 PM

Must have jinxed myself!

Still, I'm not having the problems most are for which I am glad! I have some of the little annoying blips like this problem and that whole skip forward goes backward, but none of the major problems.

I lived through the first year of the 530 which was complete and utter torture, the 630 comes up smelling like a rose in comparison so perhaps I have rose-coloured glasses on when it comes to the 630…

Firmware upgrade -- this will surprise you QCK -- I'm in total agreement with you that the update is long overdue. You would think that SD would have learned by the fiasco with the 530 that trying to do one big firmware upgrade to address every issue is a bad idea. We could have had three smaller upgrades by now that might have addressed some of the smaller issues at the very least!

ATV3 / Unblock-US / Netflix / HuluPlus / Samsung LNT3242H

Last edited by ElenaH; 2011-02-04 at 04:00 PM. Reason: addition
post #849 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-04, 08:18 PM

Where is the firmware update? This unit needs one YESTERDAY.

Its getting to be more and more unstable as time goes by and Im getting tired of the reboots.
post #850 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-07, 02:08 PM
Rookie

According to their twitter feed it's on its way.
post #851 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-07, 06:47 PM
Rookie

software update

probably not coming, as the 530 never really got one.
post #852 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-07, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyharris View Post
probably not coming, as the 530 never really got one.
I've been very critical of SD and the 630. However the product is way too early in its life cycle not to receive FW updates. One(many) will come for sure. When is the 1000$ question. I'm betting mid to end of [insert month here] 2011.
post #853 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-07, 10:35 PM
Rookie

Very poor purchase.

I see that I am not the only one having serious problems with this unit. Right out of the box I have had problems. The sound and video are often very much out of sync on my recordings. I get 'phantom' recordings where the record light is on but there is nothing recording. When fast forwarding I often skip ahead as much as 5 minutes into the future. And incredibly, sometimes it goes backwards. Also, often when fast forwarding, nothing happens. These problems have all be verified by a Shaw tech. He was brazen enough to say these were all typical things you would encounter on every computer. A simple challenge made him retract this ridiculous assetion. However, I was told there was going to be a new firmware update automatically downloaded and all would be good. That was a month ago. Still having the same problems. I assume I am not alone in this. Why are we putting up with it? I am (we are) paying through the nose for substandard signals and now it has been compounded by this expensive poorly functioning unit.
post #854 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-08, 08:15 AM

Why should anyone be surprised that SD is incapable of producing adequate firmware? The carrots just keep on coming from Shaw - rather than invest in technically capable personnel.

The Shaw family has no shame. If we paid our bills in the same fashion as Shaw follows thru on their marketing claims for their receivers; we would have had our accounts cut off 5 or 6 years ago.
post #855 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2011-02-09, 01:30 AM
Rookie

When my picture turns to a small black square in the top left corner after playback of a recorded show, I've found that just pushing the "down" arrow key brings the picture back. I almost always push the "down" arrow to get to the delete option anyways. Hope this helps for the interim.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in