Shaw Direct 630 Official Problems / Issues / Resolutions Thread. Read posts 1, 2 - Page 19 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #271 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-28, 11:19 AM

After having so many problems with 530s (five new units in the space of a couple of months), I was hoping I'd have luck with the 630. But after having it less than two weeks it's already starting to turn itself off and on for no reason. The Live on Disk isn't even on. It did it last night, less than 48 hours after doing it the time before. One thing was recording, one thing was going to start recording (because it was at the top of the hour). We were watching the 530 at the time. I can't believe I'm going to have to go through this again...

The Hans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-28, 12:44 PM
Veteran

You must have neighbours nearby with another remote. Change your remote code, even if already different than the original. Also make sure the antenna is off if needed.
post #273 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-28, 01:05 PM

It's not that. We already have 006 as the code anyway, but we're not talking about it simply turning off. It's completely going off, like a soft reset.

post #274 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-28, 01:14 PM
QCK

Yes, this is a daily occurance for me. I try to reset them manually as often as possible. The 630 receivers act like they can't manage it's memory properly and has to reboot itself to clear itself.
post #275 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-28, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCK View Post
Yes, this is a daily occurance for me. I try to reset them manually as often as possible. The 630 receivers act like they can't manage it's memory properly and has to reboot itself to clear itself.
Bummer!
post #276 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-28, 03:34 PM
Veteran

No hint of that on my 2 (Please don't start now, knock on wood). I would get them replaced.
post #277 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-28, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzink View Post
No hint of that on my 2 (Please don't start now, knock on wood). I would get them replaced.
I agree, but it's not as easy as just calling them up and saying "I want it replaced." They do all kinds of things first, most a waste of time in my opinion as my experience tells me that once a unit has problems, it always has problems. And we have the added complication of the multiswitch, which in theory could be the problem rather than the 630, couldn't it? Anyway, I think I'm going to see if there's some way I can go directly to technical escalation, as I had *so* many problems with 530s last year that maybe it's worth everyone's while to deal with them right away if possible. But I'm not happy about the whole thing, I must say.
post #278 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-28, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatTv1994 View Post
Scrolling through the guide with the channel up down buttons last night for a time would exit us from the guide. The wife found a bug in the 630 that kept repeating itself on 2 630's but did not on a 505.
While watching a cbc channel she pressed guide and went to 400. She then pressed the channel down button and after a couple of times pressing it the guide aborted and she was back to the cbc channel. I did the same on another 630 and got the same result. We did the same about 8 times and always lost the guide. I then did the same on a 505 and it worked fine allowing us to pass channel 413. After a while both 630's worked properly and allowed us to channel up down past the 413/419 channels.
I had this issue as well. I looked more closely as to when it exited me out of the guide and it as always at Sportnet One HD (267). I took it out of my favs and the guide worked properly again. Not sure why.
post #279 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-28, 08:06 PM
Rookie

I share your grief re Market Call, same problems exactly. I have sent an email to tech asking that that attempt the manual timer on BNN but,as yet,no reply.
Have you had any joy with this issue?
Thanks
DLG
post #280 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-29, 10:56 AM

Hi cadvision,

We reported the issues with Market Call a couple of weeks ago. I will follow up and see if there are any updates. All changes or modifications to Guide data must be confirmed by the broadcaster. We're not able to override certain programs individually as the data feeds multiple providers in North America.
post #281 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-30, 06:39 AM

a FEW bugs

So far...almost two weeks in... my 630 has been relatively glitch-free. (knock wood again)

This week we watched that Gleeky show on a channel OTHER than Global HD, and noticed that the frame-jump issue did NOT occur. So I am assuming, in our case anyway, it was a Global HD issue. The only two programs where we have noticed this problem were both Global broadcasts. Hmmm.... and who is buying Global?

Last night while switching from an HD channel to a non-HD channel, we got that "resolution not supported" error message. Back to the last (HD) channel... then back to the standard def. channel.... and the message disappeared.

However, last night I did discover that CNN apparently does not exist on my 630. No sign of channel 500 at all. I am not sure what other channels may have 'disappeared'. Anyone encountered this? And is there a solution other than phoning SD for a hit?
post #282 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-30, 06:45 AM
QCK

Higher channels seem to dissapear when the memory is bunged up in the 630. Just hold down the power button until it re-boots. All your channels will be back after the re-boot.

I have noticed this memory corrupt issue happens when you often switch favorite lists. Some updated code needs to be written to deal with this properly.
post #283 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-30, 06:57 AM

Thanks for the advice. And just for the brain-challenged here, the reboot won't affect any timers I have set, or shows I have recorded? (please don't flame the moron! lol)

Haven't played around with any favourites lists yet, so that can't be the issue with my 630.

Will attempt the reboot tonight. Thanks!
post #284 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-30, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandher57 View Post
Thanks for the advice. And just for the brain-challenged here, the reboot won't affect any timers I have set, or shows I have recorded? (please don't flame the moron! lol)

Haven't played around with any favourites lists yet, so that can't be the issue with my 630.

Will attempt the reboot tonight. Thanks!
I've had 500 and 505 disappear once also. Just do a soft reboot.

The soft reboot does not affect anything other than the guide having to reload. timers or recorded stuff are not affected.
post #285 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-30, 08:23 AM

Just don't do a soft reboot while recording. You would lose the part of the recording where the receiver reboots and loads enough of the guide to realize that something needs to be recorded.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in