Shaw Direct 630 Official Problems / Issues / Resolutions Thread. Read posts 1, 2 - Page 17 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #241 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-25, 11:54 PM

Mine has an interesting issue with the guide. When I scroll down to channel 545 (old mapping) which is Teletoon, that line has a repeat of channel 515. If I manually enter 545, it won't go to that channel.

I forced it to reload the guide and it still comes up that way.

Does anybody else using the old channel mapping have an issue with 545?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-26, 12:00 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCScott View Post
Doesn't turning off LOD disable the pause and skip back functions with live tv? I know this was recommended with the 530 in the early days, but that's one of the main reasons I have a PVR, to be able to pause a show when I'm interrupted. To me, that's crippling one on the primary functions.

FWIW, I never did it with my 530 and eventually got a good unit that hasn't had any problems for over a year.
Perhaps a possible alternative would be to hit the record button when interrupted?
post #243 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-26, 12:56 AM
Rookie

Quote:
SD 630 Support,

I am currently still getting the pixilation/bad or missed recordings and last night was the third time it happened. Soft resets seem to correct it for a short period of time. ive also noticed that recorded shows do not record properly and are not viewable after wards.

The time was around 6:00pm est. on abc or nbc HD channel. It was a live program, and NO background recordings. I am connected through hdmi, with all factory video settings.

Any other information you need, please ask away. I would love to clear this up!

I have the exact same problem withmy 630 and my signal is at 95%

post #244 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-26, 08:57 AM

Black screen of death

After 3 weeks of flawless recording, I turn on the 630 this morning and I get a black screen on each channel. Every recorded program I try to watch gives me the black screen of death.

Following a soft reboot, the 630 is back to normal and all programs are watchable except for the program that recorded last night (Saturday). It shows it recorded 61 minutes but when I view it, it shows the black screen. My assumption is that it recorded 61 minutes of black screen, which is what I was seeing "watching" live TV. The rec1 and rec2 lights were both turned off. My fan was blowing cool air and the receiver was cool. Seems like it's not the solution to all problems after all.

Speaking of 61 minutes, I can't figure this one out. All my timers are set NOT to add extra time except for a few. But ALL my recordings, wether they are one time recording from the guide or recurring recordings add 1 minute. So each 30 minute show I record records 31 minutes and so on, so on. Anyone has this problem? Solution?
post #245 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-26, 09:23 AM
Veteran

As far as adding a minute to every recording... I found if I set any adjustment through Options-5-"End late" then those changes will happen to ALL recordings including adding extra time. Check that Options feature that you haven't set it to add 1 minute. I now use the Menu button. Then slide over to PVR REC then slide over to Options REC and select EACH program I want to add extra time too.

Using Options-5 will apply the extra time to ALL recordings. Make sure "End late" is turned OFF. .

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #246 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-26, 09:37 AM

A couple of recording issues

Got my 630 on Tuesday. After the overnight download, did some test recordings Wednesday morning and everything went well.
All my evening recordings that I really wanted recorded too.

However, Thursday, which was a busy night with several hours of recording, did not record anything. When I went to the unit in the morning the red "record" light was on. When I turned the unit on and checked the recording list, none of the shows were there. Frustrating. Did some more test recordings Friday with no problems. It also recorded my Friday scheduled shows fine.

It also recorded some scheduled shows yesterday with no problem, but when I checked it this morning I saw the dreaded red "record" light on again. Once again, none of the events from last night were recorded.

Any suggestions? I did a soft reset after the Thursday night failure, and again this morning, but the shows never showed up.
post #247 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-26, 09:44 AM

Thanks GaryE... That was it. I must have set this one the first day and forgot about it.

Say you don't have a solution for the black screen of death do you???!

Last edited by zbroke; 2010-09-26 at 09:45 AM. Reason: typo
post #248 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-26, 10:12 AM
Veteran

No, no solution for the black screen. It's probably just a random thing that happens. The processor must become overwhelmed. I really don't know. It just surprises me the amount of reboots we have to do with this 630.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #249 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-26, 04:40 PM

Well, it was about time I joined the missed recordings club....
Setup to record all new episodes of The Ultimate Fighter (All channels) and I just turned on my 630 for the 1st time in a few days and I went to change channels and it was locked up. Did a soft reset, checked my PVR list as I was afraid of this and it wasn't there.
Now I'm waiting (forever!) for my guide to load and I can't change channels (as it just locks up again) during football Sunday rendering the Sunday Ticket pretty useless right now.
Combine this with my already mentioned speaker 'pop' and I gotta say I'm pretty disappointed, but sadly not surprised.
I guess we're left waiting for the magical firmware update.
post #250 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-26, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkev78 View Post
Well, it was about time I joined the missed recordings club....
Setup to record all new episodes of The Ultimate Fighter (All channels) and I just turned on my 630 for the 1st time in a few days and I went to change channels and it was locked up. Did a soft reset, checked my PVR list as I was afraid of this and it wasn't there.
Now I'm waiting (forever!) for my guide to load and I can't change channels (as it just locks up again) during football Sunday rendering the Sunday Ticket pretty useless right now.
Combine this with my already mentioned speaker 'pop' and I gotta say I'm pretty disappointed, but sadly not surprised.
I guess we're left waiting for the magical firmware update.
I noticed that with ultimate fighter it was NOT saying "new" in the guide. Double check manually by going into guide for this Wednesday. Also double check if its the same for the sportsnet feeds vs the spike feed. Which I wish spike was in HD as ultimate fighter willl never be bumped due to a late baseball or hockey game!
post #251 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-27, 06:47 AM
QCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazabi View Post
I noticed that with ultimate fighter it was NOT saying "new" in the guide.
I noticed the same thing. The "New" also was missed in the 2nd last episode of Big Brother. If they are going to base recordings on the guide, the guide then needs to be flawless which it is nowhere near the case right now.
post #252 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-27, 06:52 AM

So far....

I consider myself fortunate in that I have not had most of the issues that other users seem to be experiencing.

I have had my unit for a week now, done multiple recordings, simultaneous recordings and timer recordings.... knock wood... everything seems to be running fairly smoothly.

Earlier I commented that a show I watched on Global HD seemed to have a 'frame jump' every couple of minutes. Later last week, I recorded a different show off the Global HD feed and found the same problem. Since this problem hasn't appeared on any other networks, I am blaming Global.

Another bit of a glitch I have run into a couple of times (unless it was something that I did of my own stupidity) was to change channels, only to have it jump back to the previous channel on its own. Anybody seen this one?

CSI: NY was pixilated in places last Friday night, but I blame the weather for that one.

And here is a stupid question from a newbie that is probably unrelated (please be kind). I believe my HDTV is a 720p. Using the recommended SD settings, I have my receiver set at 1800p. Is that a bad thing? The only problem I have noticed was on one occasion when I was rapidly flicking back and forth between HD and SD feeds when I received a "resolution not supported" error message. Again, I blame my own stupidity for that, and it has not recurred.
post #253 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-27, 07:51 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCK View Post
If they are going to base recordings on the guide, the guide then needs to be flawless which it is nowhere near the case right now.
I wonder how much of this problem is due to the guide supplier and not Shaw Direct?
post #254 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-27, 08:05 AM

I was watching Transformers last night in HD and the pixelation was terrible. It would break up about every 5 min for about 1 - 2 seconds. Almost unwatchable.
post #255 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-27, 08:47 AM
QCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr weather View Post
I wonder how much of this problem is due to the guide supplier and not Shaw Direct?

It is a problem with the guide supplier, but it is SD's responsiblity to make sure they supply accurate guide information. If SD does not make them accountable then the issues will not be corrected.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in