Shaw Direct 630 Official Problems / Issues / Resolutions Thread. Read posts 1, 2 - Page 11 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #151 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-16, 10:27 AM

I haven't had a bunch of time playing with the recording function which seems to be the bulk of the issue with the 6630, my biggest beef is with teh slow channel changing of the unit. the 530 was quicker moving up and down with the channel button. i hope this can be fixed with a firmware update.. Does anyone else have this issue? When i move up and down with the channel it takes 1-2 seconds to go to the next channel,,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-16, 12:38 PM

Definately not ready for prime time. My 630 is going back and we'll keep our 530 for the next few months. Hopefully over the next couple of months some of the glitches get fixed. As it is, I'm not ready to deal with the frustration of missed recordings when I have a perfectly good 530 in my rack. The only advantage for us of the 630 is the extended guide and I can live without it.

Sony KDL-52XBR4,SD DVR530/630,Tosh HD-A2 HD-A30, Pana DMP-BD65, Pio VSX-1015,Energy C3,CC100,ESM-4,S8.2, Engenius WAP
post #153 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-16, 01:10 PM

my 630 reboot went i change channel

post #154 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-16, 01:34 PM
Rookie

First time contributor

I have been using the 630 box for about a week now, have experienced some of the problems experienced here, and have found this thread very helpful. Yesturday was a day from hell for me. Five lock ups, all eventualy
resolved with front panel reboot.
Details:
1. Two of the events were vidio lock (audio continued) and box lock.

2. Two of the events occured while trying too delete two different events from my PVR list .
Details;
After viewing each of the programs, I selected "Delete" , on both occasions my PVR list jumped into and displaced the channel showing in the view window and the rest of the screen went black. How can this happen?.
3. After reboot on one of the events, the box parentaly locked out all of my subscribed channals (I don't have any locks selected). I checked my locks in options but they would not respond. Only after the guide reloaded (approx. 3 min. later) did the locks release. Whats up with the guide ?
My next action should be to phone CS.
Help!!!!!!
post #155 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-16, 01:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
I have dual timers programmed all day today, a total of 17 timers. I'm hoping to have them all recorded when I come back from golf late this evening.
When do you sleep?
post #156 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-16, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart 1 View Post
I have been using the 630 box for about a week now, have experienced some of the problems experienced here, and have found this thread very helpful. Yesturday was a day from hell for me. Five lock ups, all eventualy
resolved with front panel reboot.
Details:
1. Two of the events were vidio lock (audio continued) and box lock.

2. Two of the events occured while trying too delete two different events from my PVR list .
Details;
After viewing each of the programs, I selected "Delete" , on both occasions my PVR list jumped into and displaced the channel showing in the view window and the rest of the screen went black. How can this happen?.
3. After reboot on one of the events, the box parentaly locked out all of my subscribed channals (I don't have any locks selected). I checked my locks in options but they would not respond. Only after the guide reloaded (approx. 3 min. later) did the locks release. Whats up with the guide ?
My next action should be to phone CS.
Help!!!!!!
When the CSR tells you you're the first person to ever have a problem with a DVR630, call BS!

Sony KDL-52XBR4,SD DVR530/630,Tosh HD-A2 HD-A30, Pana DMP-BD65, Pio VSX-1015,Energy C3,CC100,ESM-4,S8.2, Engenius WAP
post #157 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-16, 02:50 PM

Worth a try???

This is worth a try ... I seems (could be my beer goggles) that the act of creating either a manual or named recording seems to make things unstable until the next soft reset.

To verify, do a soft reset after creating any recordings and see if there is more stability?
post #158 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-16, 02:58 PM
Rookie

Well after a week of running the 630 I had my first set of problems happen.My movie recordings all have at least one brief video pause but it's over so fast it really doesn't bother me.Also yesterday I couldn't turn the unit on so I pulled the plug for 10 seconds to get it going again.The guide locked out all channels for a few minutes(after reboot) then it was restored to the way I had set it, showing only my subscribed to channels.That's all for now, hopefully for good.
post #159 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-16, 03:26 PM

I have had little problems.

I had a flicker or pixelation issues for the 1st week but that seems to have cleared itself up. No random reboots, no missed recordings, lots of dbl recordings. I do like the extra minute auto added to the end of the programs.

I don't like (or am not used to) the way parental locks work/behave.

I wish there a bigger LED or an easier way to tell if the unit is on/off. I supposed I could turn off the clock
post #160 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-16, 03:52 PM
Rookie

I had the new 630 for about a week now and the biggest problem I seen is that the manual timers that I create disappeared. I have about 42 event timers and I created 3 manual timer to record daily and weekly. After adding more event and modifying current event timers from record new episodes to all episodes, my manual timers have all been erased.

As anybody else seen there manual timers disappear?

I also had two lockup when I was recording 2 HD show and watching a previously recorded show. I had to do a soft reset.
post #161 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-16, 04:08 PM

Manual timers, according to the manual, aren't recurring.
post #162 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-16, 06:21 PM
Rookie

reset

how do you do a soft reset and how do you do a hard reset
post #163 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-16, 06:50 PM

soft reset = hold power button for 10 seconds, it will reset itself
hard reset = pull power cord leave unplugged for a few seconds and plug back in.

this is not to be confused with a factory reset which is different again
post #164 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-16, 06:51 PM

A soft reset is done by pushing and holding the power button until the unit powers down. It will power back up on its own. A hard reset is unplugging the unit, waiting a few minutes and plugging it back in. A factory reset is usually done by the tech dept. You can preserve your recordings with a factory reset, but only if you go to that screen first. The tech will bring you to the screen, but they sometimes forget and if they do, you'll lose all of your recordings.

post #165 of 1256 (permalink) Old 2010-09-16, 06:58 PM

Unfortunatly, if the 630 is still using the same filesystem as the 530, it's a FAT type filesystem (VxWorks added extensions for encrypted filesystems) and not a journalled filesystem like NTFS, EXT3/4 etc and I think has always been susceptible to file corruption much like Windows 3.1/95/Me if you just unplug it. If this is the case, I believe that it would be better to do a soft reset then just pull the plug whenever possible.

Last edited by osmosis; 2010-09-16 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Others answered

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in