Shaw Direct Satellite Installation Discussions - See Post 1 - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-08-04, 11:56 PM

Cool But I'd just go and watch the Game and the Antics at the Tailgating Parties...

Danny,

You can go to Dishpointer.com (http://www.dishpointer.com/) put in Gillette Stadium in the Your Location Box. Pick Anik F2 in the drop down box.

It will output something like this:

Elevation: 27.0°
Azimuth (true): 231.2°
Azimuth (magn.): 246.1°
LNB Skew [?]: 35.3°

Like dirtroad said you can pre-set the Elevation and Skew. I'd take a magnetic level like in the photo below and ensure you are plumb in both planes when setting up the Tripod / Dish.

Then I'd use a compass and go to 246°

And if the Sat Gods are with you, and you haven't had too many Pops, you should be close.

But I'd just go and watch the Game and the Antics at the Tailgating Parties...

Regards,
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-08-05, 12:13 AM

i just need to find a tripod for a 75e now
post #108 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-08-05, 05:38 AM
Veteran

Or lots just mount the dish on some wood and work with what they have.

post #109 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-08-06, 12:13 AM
Rookie

So I have been playing with the alignment for awhile and the best I can get on the 4-7 option screen is 67% and my Ecb/no: is always 0.0dB. I am tempted to go over to the neighboor and ask if I can see how his is set up and maybe try plugging my receiver or even LNB to test my equipment. This is starting to drive my wife crazy. So u can only imagine how I feel.

Any suggestions are welcome.
post #110 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-08-06, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolega View Post
So I have been playing with the alignment for awhile and the best I can get on the 4-7 option screen is 67% and my Ecb/no: is always 0.0dB. I am tempted to go over to the neighboor and ask if I can see how his is set up and maybe try plugging my receiver or even LNB to test my equipment. This is starting to drive my wife crazy. So u can only imagine how I feel.

Any suggestions are welcome.
That's an excellent idea. I'd first check the receiver, as long as your neighbor has a Quad LNB.

If that checks out. Then your LNB is suspect.

Regards,
Jim
post #111 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-08-06, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsathome View Post
That's an excellent idea. I'd first check the receiver, as long as your neighbor has a Quad LNB.

If that checks out. Then your LNB is suspect.
agreed....your lnb is pooched...
post #112 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-08-08, 02:15 PM
Rookie

Shaw Direct Dish alignment

I am trying to align my dish to receive sd channels on shaw direct.I have no trouble tuning in most of the hd channels and I have tried using channel 299 to tune the signal but can not get any signal strength. When I switch to Channel 300 I can tune it in easily at a signal strength of between 88-95 but if I move the dish in any direction I lose the signal.Skewing the dish has made no difference in the channels I am getting.Any ideas would be appreciated
post #113 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-08-09, 11:33 AM

Cool Welcome Aboard M8!

Skip,

Welcome to the fray.

First please define what gear you have => Dish, LNB, & Reciever, (Multiswitch?) as subtle differences in troubleshooting occur depending on what is installed. Is this the first time any of the gear has been used? Is the mast for the Dish plumb (vertical) in both planes? Where are you located ? (So we can check your elevation, asimuth & skew values. Or you can check them at Dishpointer.com )

Assuming the gear is not defective, my first guess is you've dialed into F2, and drifted off the FR1 bird. There is only a 4 degree difference between the 2 Birds, and it's not hard if the mast is not plumb. F2 has mostly HD Channels and some radio stations. However try channel 700 (SRC Montreal (CBFT)). I think it's an SD channel on F2.

Try Channels 335, 417, 653, 457, 331, & 409. These are all on different transponders on FR1. So if you get none of them, you are definitely not tuned into that Bird. Even if you don't subscribe to a channel you can find out what it's signal strength & quality values are by going into the Options Screens and check out installation and tuning.

I hope this is helpful.

Regards,
Jim
post #114 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-08-09, 12:34 PM
Rookie

Shaw Direct dish alignment

Hi Jim
Thanks for your response
It is a new eliptical dish with the quad LNB.The receiver is the new essentials HD and there is no multi-switch.I know that the receiver is working correctly and that the dish and LNB are also in good shape.The mast is plumb.For whatever reason I can't pick up the F1 bird.I have all the F2 channels.I know that the two are only 4 degrees apart but no matter how long I try I can't pick up the F1 bird.Any ideas?
post #115 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-08-09, 02:16 PM

if you go to channel 299 or 400, on your controller press options, 4, 7, what does the signal strength and ECB NO have for values? Also in your original post you say you get MOST HD, I assume this means your not getting ALL, so which one's aren't you getting. Skew on the eliptical dish should make a difference, so my guess is that perhaps you aren't 100% plumb. Posting your location would be much helpful as well.
post #116 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-08-10, 11:36 PM

Trees in the way!

So my brother had an "installer" put up a 60e on the roof today, and he can't get F2 signa at all, complete flat line, F1 is solid, he suspects because of a few large trees. What options are out there for safe secure pole/tripod, i'm trying to get an estimate on how high the trees are.. will a bigger dish make a difference in this case?
post #117 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-08-11, 04:23 AM

Cool I'd move the Dish to a better location => or cut down the trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny001 View Post
So my brother had an "installer" put up a 60e on the roof today, and he can't get F2 signa at all, complete flat line, F1 is solid, he suspects because of a few large trees. What options are out there for safe secure pole/tripod, i'm trying to get an estimate on how high the trees are.. will a bigger dish make a difference in this case?
Danny,

A Bigger Dish may help marginally but it sounds like F2 is solidly blocked out. (My research is that a 75e gives about 10% better signal strength. But adding 10% of Zero is still pretty much Zero => when you need 70%...)

If say 10 foot trees are the issue, you need a pole 10 feet high to get over them. If they are 20 feet you need 20 feet, and so on.

My take was any Dish on a pole above 12 feet or so on a roof would get pushed easily by the wind. (Remember your Torque equations from school...) You'd have a tough time running strong enough guy wires to hold it into position. It would be like a sail up there. Besides, how would you fine tune it? (I'd love to see the photos of someone trying...)

I went all through this last year. See my thread at:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=125300

I'd move the Dish to a better location => or cut down the trees.

Regards,
Jim
post #118 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-08-18, 06:36 PM
Rookie

Quick update, all my equipment is working fine. My LNB if fine all cables are good receiver is showing a great signal strength for both tuners and EVEN option 4-4 (the satellite tuning screen) works great!!

How did I do it....... I coughed up $90 for some installer on kijiji to come and do that all (according to the wife the best $90 spent as its done and over with)

My location and mounting was not good. tree in the way and the screws that I used were no thicker then soda straws so it would only require a slight breeze to move. The installer laughed and said he will mount the dish properly and align it.

45 min total job of which 42 min was remounting the dish. LOL I could not believe it I guess I had to go through what I did to realize it looks easy but its not. Plus he had a digital sat meter so he knew exactly what he was pointing at
post #119 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-08-24, 10:36 PM

Lost signal around 8:30 CT; not a cloud in the sky, but looking at the weather radar, big storms in GTA. I am assuming everyone else has lost signal?
post #120 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-08-24, 10:44 PM

Phew, I was worried it was my setup. I lost (most) of my channels too.

Tags
burlington , cogeco , halton , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in