Shaw Direct Satellite Installation Discussions - See Post 1 - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-07-21, 05:19 PM

New dish question

I picked up a new dish for my trailer at the lake, the lady at the store said these are a new type of LNB because Shaw is putting up a new satellite soon and I might not be able to get all my channels unless I phone them to reconfigure my receiver. I donít mind doing this except I donít have cell phone coverage at my trailer. How much of a problem is this and what else can I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-07-22, 07:23 AM

you should be able to call in and when you get back everything be working
SHOULD make sure your receivers are on. you can also use an older lnb, the dishes/alaighnment ios still the same.

"The quality of your question will directly effect the quality of your answer"
post #93 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-07-22, 10:53 AM

Leaving the reciever on is not an option because we use a generator for power.I bought a new one because I couldn't find an old one, why are they changing LNB's? are they going to change all the LNB's?

post #94 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-07-22, 11:20 AM
Veteran

Shaw is adding a satellite to their system next year, called Anik G1. They should have it running by late fall or winter. From what I get, it will add 16 transponders to the 107.3 slot.

I don't know enough about the new LNBF to say for sure, but I suspect that at least before the new satellite goes into service, the new LNBF should work like an existing quad.

Have the receivers you are taking to the trailer connected to the dish you have at home (or temporarily set up the new dish), and have the receivers's V-code set for it.
post #95 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-07-24, 09:06 PM

I setup the new dish on my tripod in the back yard with a clear view of the south, all the settings on the dish are exactly the same as my existing dish. I have a reciever I know works and after 2 hours of leveling, turning checking connections and trying everything I could I can not get a signalIs it possible this new LNB won't with my old reciever?

I should mention on my sat finder I get a loud clear signal but on my reciever I still Have red light?

Last edited by bat119; 2011-07-24 at 09:09 PM. Reason: more information
post #96 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-07-28, 04:26 PM
Rookie

Hi All I have read most of the 72 pages of this thread and I think I have a unique situation that no one has come across.

I have just set up my dish and hooked it up to the HDPVR630 box. I am trying to get the red led to turn green and its not. I have the dish pointing in the right coordinates I was able to get tuner strength around 65% on each tuner. I have tried everything (I think) but when I go in to the system tune option I get nothing. HERE IS THE BIG ISSUE, when I try the system tune option I get 4 to 5 beeps then the receiver resets automatically ?!?!?!?! EVERY TIME

Should I not be able to search for longer then that? I am concerned that either the 630 is pooched or the LNB might be toast.

I was able to get the EMM box green when I entered "4128" but that was only ONCE now it always stays red.

Note, the receiver is only a week old and the LNB/Dish are second hand.

Thanks in advance.
post #97 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-07-29, 12:36 AM

Cool Please describe your LNB / Dish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolega View Post
Hi All I have read most of the 72 pages of this thread and I think I have a unique situation that no one has come across.

I have just set up my dish and hooked it up to the HDPVR630 box. I am trying to get the red led to turn green and its not. I have the dish pointing in the right coordinates I was able to get tuner strength around 65% on each tuner. I have tried everything (I think) but when I go in to the system tune option I get nothing. HERE IS THE BIG ISSUE, when I try the system tune option I get 4 to 5 beeps then the receiver resets automatically ?!?!?!?! EVERY TIME

Should I not be able to search for longer then that? I am concerned that either the 630 is pooched or the LNB might be toast.

I was able to get the EMM box green when I entered "4128" but that was only ONCE now it always stays red.

Note, the receiver is only a week old and the LNB/Dish are second hand.

Thanks in advance.

Please describe your used LNB / Dish set-up. Does it look like the one in this photo?

Regards,
Jim
post #98 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-08-01, 02:18 PM
Rookie

bat119 -

You have the new xKu LNB, you won't be able to get signal on any F1 channels (ch 299, most SD channels) until your receiver has been updated by a CSR.

Tuning to an F2 channel (I use APTN ch. 350/70 but 700/701/750 should work fine, too) will allow you to get signal to the receiver so a CSR can update it for the new LNB.

You can also use one of those F2 channels and the signal strength screen to align your dish, however it has given me trouble more than once. I recommend using a regular Quad LNB to align the dish (use ch. 299), tighten it down, then throw on your new xKu LNB and tune your receiver to an F2 channel (APTN 350/70 ) and you should have a green light. Call customer service and they can now change your v-code to the correct one for the xKu LNB.

Kolega -

The 630 has a bad habit of rebooting in the signal strength screen. Use system status (Options, 4, 7, I believe) and wait a minute to check strength and Ecb/No.

If you are trying to use the DVR630 to align your dish, I recommend using a different receiver, preferably not of the 6XX series.

Also worth mentioning, if it's a brand new dish you are using, it may have the new xKu LNB. The one in the middle of the picture is the xKu and the far left is the regular Quad LNB.

post #99 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-08-02, 12:19 AM

demonslayer,

Thanks for the photo. (I somehow expected the new xKu LNB to have 3 "eyes").

What's the LNB on the right?

Regards,
Jim
post #100 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-08-02, 07:16 AM

jim, both the middle and the right are xku's just from 2 different manufactuers.

post #101 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-08-02, 03:35 PM
Rookie

Jim and D.
My set up is the similar to the picture. But I have the dish on the side of the house. I have the quad LNB. Like the one on the left in the picture. On the signal strength sceen I can at best get 65 for both tuners. But yet when I go the tuning screen I get nothing. 4-5 beeps and a reset. I have replaced the reciver and still have the same issue. My last resort is the LNB. I may try other channels as mentioned above. Is there a way to test if the LNB is faulty?
post #102 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-08-02, 04:48 PM

are you using menu options 4,7 like mentioned earlier?

post #103 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-08-02, 10:04 PM
Rookie

^ yes I am using that option screen. Even though CS said not to use that screen because it's not up todate.
post #104 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-08-04, 05:14 PM

Tailgating

I will be at Gillette Stadium watching the Jets and Pats on Oct 9th. My buddies want me to set up my dish in the parking lot so we can watch the early games on Sunday ticket while we tailgate. I'm wondering what the best way to do this would be. I have a spare 75E and Quad LNB, and a Spare activated receiver. I am thinking I'll just buy a tripod.....what else will I need to line it up, and how do I find the elevation, Azimuth and skew for US cities on canadian systems.
post #105 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-08-04, 07:57 PM

Use something like dishpointer , they have a great app for an iPhone.

Actually, I just went on dishpointer and Gillette Stadium is in the data base, you can pick your exact parking stall, and seat if your going to take your dish into the game!

All you really need is the skew, elevation (which both can be preset), plumb mast and a rough idea where the satellite is. On occasion with those things I have hit the satellite immediately, and only needed some fine tuning. Then of course I go purchase a lottery ticket!

Last edited by dirtroad; 2011-08-04 at 09:45 PM. Reason: skew elevation all that is req.

Tags
burlington , cogeco , halton , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in