Shaw Direct Satellite Installation Discussions - See Post 1 - Page 18 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #256 of 826 (permalink) Old 2012-02-05, 10:58 AM
Veteran

No, you would still use the two dishes, and a 4x8 multiswitch to switch between the two, the no tone/107.3/F1R input to the X-Ku quad LNBF (which will receive both F1R and the not yet launched G1, on off-center "eye"), and the tone/111/F2, to a standard 10750 LO LNBF.

The F1R dish you would peak with a standard dish, and rig a the X-Ku LNBF to get the signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #257 of 826 (permalink) Old 2012-02-07, 04:39 PM
Rookie

Dish Reception

I want to install my dish in the patio.Could anyone tell me if the
patio screen will interfere with reception ?

Thanks in advance.
post #258 of 826 (permalink) Old 2012-02-08, 10:05 AM
Veteran

If it is plastic/fibreglass, no. If it is metal, yes.

post #259 of 826 (permalink) Old 2012-03-16, 06:19 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsathome View Post
Glad to see more progress even if I don't understand the "Our dish sadly isn't on the roof as when we put it in" .

If you can live with SportsNet being a little poor for now when it snows, rains, etc., you can use it to fine tune your set-up in the warmth of Spring so that next winter it will be rock solid.

So sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labour.
Just a quick note - I played around some more a couple of days ago and it seems I finally have it - I have both SRC HD and SN1 HD and all other channels. I checked each and every channel I'm subscribed to and all have a picture. Random checking of the signal levels as I was flipping through reveals no channel (HD or SD) is below 85% so I'm pretty pleased. Thanks for all the help and I hope others get a similar result!
post #260 of 826 (permalink) Old 2012-03-16, 08:33 PM

Cool

Glad to hear you were finally successful.

Regards,
Jim
post #261 of 826 (permalink) Old 2012-04-04, 10:21 PM
Rookie

Alignment with Meter

Hi, during the winter months we pack up the Sat receiver and head south in the RV. I have a 75cm elliptical dish.

I use an Eagle Aspen SSM-22 meter to help me with the set up. I can get the meter to peak approximately where the satellite should be, but there is no signal on the TV. If I move the dish a few degrees in Az and El then the receiver will receive the signal, and I can fine tune using the receiver setup screen. The problem is the peak signal on the receiver is never the same as the peak signal on the meter. Why?

Wooly
post #262 of 826 (permalink) Old 2012-04-21, 03:03 AM

Hi everybody it looks like no one has been here for a couple weeks but if anyones around who knows about installing I hope they can help me!

I've been trying to set up a Shaw 75cm dish with a xKU LNB and a 605 rcvr. Tomorrow Im going to try Jimsathome's idea of having skew at 90 b'cuz I didn't have any luck today and it was kinda hard to tell where the arm was pointing b'cuz it was at an angle. btw I have a circle level and the bubble is in the center ring so that should be okay for the mast plumb, right?

Our dealer told us to use ch. 252 and also to do a soft reset on the rcvr in case it got confused while we were going back and forth with the dish. We don't have a Shaw subscription yet so we cant get all the channels but he said 252 should work. He also said the new LNB is harder. :-(

I saw in Jim's instructions that you can move about 2 degs. each time when youre moving the azimuth; how much is that on the dish? Just a little tiny push? How far off can you be and still get a little signal? I went back and forth and even tried scans with the elevation a little up and then a little down so shouldn't I have found at least one satelite??

A friend who lives out of town has a SatFinder he offered to come help if I can't get things working. If he does, what do we set the SatFinder to look for?

Thank you!!

p.s. In case you can't tell we're not in Canada so thats why we have to install the dish ourselvs. :-(
post #263 of 826 (permalink) Old 2012-04-21, 12:33 PM

you may very well be getting a lock on 1 sat. and not know it. while using the receiver and searching for signal on 252 your only looking for f2.
You should be making just the smallest movements possible and waiting at least 3 seconds for the receiver to react before making another tiny adjustment.
as for your freinds "sat-finder" we can't offer any suggestions as to settings without knowing what it is...or whether or not it actually has settings.

"The quality of your question will directly effect the quality of your answer"
post #264 of 826 (permalink) Old 2012-04-21, 01:45 PM

Hi Installer thank you for answering!

Is 252 on F2 because the pointing screen says "F1 QPSK."

Okay I dont know what kind of satfinder my friend has I just saw here that someone was asking what numbers to put in theirs. Do satfinders really find the signal more easily, IOW do they let you know when youre getitng close better than the rcvr does?
post #265 of 826 (permalink) Old 2012-04-21, 01:54 PM
DHC Supporter

Do you get any signal at all, the smallest movement will show you are close. Go to ***** look for Antenna Look Angles under installation check for you settings under Shaw Direct. Set your dish to the settings, tweak later. Set your receiver to channel 252 and move dish slowly, you should have a general idea where you are.

noah

Sent you a PM
post #266 of 826 (permalink) Old 2012-04-21, 01:56 PM

The "elevation setting" is item what wasted a lot of my time once many years ago. I mistakenly assumed the setting point was where the bolt went through the scale markings but in fact it is a a point on the end of the metal bracket that needs to be lined up with the correct elevation setting.

-- Retired TELUS Employee so I Don't Speak for TELUS --
post #267 of 826 (permalink) Old 2012-04-21, 02:01 PM
DHC Supporter

Tell me where you are and I will get you the correct settings to start with, then you will have a starting point, you can PM me or post here.
post #268 of 826 (permalink) Old 2012-04-21, 03:26 PM

Hi ae I think I have the elev right! Its the front edge of the metal under the bolt, right? If you call "front" the edge closest to the dish and furthest from the mast.
post #269 of 826 (permalink) Old 2012-04-21, 04:10 PM
DHC Supporter

You have a pm
post #270 of 826 (permalink) Old 2012-04-21, 05:33 PM

I think I got it! But a question...

I finally got a green bar and it says 93 and I went to Options-4-7 and it said:

Signal T1 (252): 93 Ecb/No: 7.2dB

So that must be at least one of the Shaw sats, right? Also when I go back from the options screens there's a message on the TV that says my authorization has expired and I have to refresh the rcvr.

But here's my question..shouldnt we be able to see something on some channel? I looked at the channel listing and found the ones called SHAW DIRECT and I tried them all but nothign came in. Shouldn't we see their own channels? I'm pretty sure on BEV we could see a few channels even before we were offical customers.

Just to reminder this is a 605 rcvr w/ a 75cm dish and a xKU LNB and we are not Shaw customers yet. We wanted to get the dish working before we started paying Shaw and cancel BEV.

Also, how can I be sure its seeing both sattelites? I've never put up a two-satellite dish before. Do we have to wait until we have a subscription to get both of them?

Tags
burlington , cogeco , halton , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in