Shaw Direct Satellite Installation Discussions - See Post 1 - Page 16 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #226 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-12-02, 09:58 PM
Rookie

Hi All,

Quickie question that I hope you guys can help with:

I setup my dish last weekend (75cm elliptical with the new XKu LNBF direct into a DSR600 - town is Postville, Labrador) and followed the information from the Shaw website with regards to skew etc (and a couple of small adjustments to account for the difference in location between us and the closest town on the list - Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Labrador). After trying for a while without much success, I called the helpdesk to see if they could give me any advice. The person on the other end told me to try channel 252 and so back we went. Again, we got nothing for a while then suddenly hit a sweet-spot and got 95 on the signal strength, upon which I locked it down.

So, all seemed well on the first night, bar the inability to get Sportsnet 1 and a couple of the FTA French channels in HD (not a big issue to me). However, during the last few days, although the signal on channel 2 (note, as this is advanced, I don't have 252 as the promo channel anymore) is still around 75-90, I can't get (m)any of the HD channels, including all the sports channels and the US East HD feeds.

What I'd like to know is what could be causing this. Could it be I need to adjust the skew, or the elevation or the azimuth? I know it can't be anything too major, but with the weather over the past week being in the -20's with windchill, I don't want to spend too long trying to fix it, nor lose what I have in the process. I'd appreciate any advice anyone may have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #227 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-12-02, 10:15 PM

Cool A one degree error in set-up has you miss a Bird by over 600 Kms.

The Potato,

I can appreciate the desire to do this quickly and not freeze in the process.

My opinion is you are very close in aligning the dish and probably it's just a skew issue and you are missing the second Bird. Did you read and try to follow my old post => Paint by Numbers set-up at this link?

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...&postcount=165

Before you make any adjustments, mark the locations that are adjustable with a Sharpie Pen so you can always get back to it. There is little sustitute to manually refining the settings. A one degree error in set-up has you miss a Bird by over 600 Kms.

Regards,
Jim
post #228 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-12-04, 05:07 PM
Rookie

Thanks Jimsathome. Sorry about the late reply - I have a ropey wi-fi repeater bridge for my internet connection as there's no more capacity on our local exchange to get DSL.

I did a tweak today (just the skew) which has resulted in a few more HD channels coming in, but not overly well and only upto 70 on the SS / SQ (based on the hidden diagnostic menu). Seems like I need to work on it a little more! Any thoughts? I'll give the advice in your previous post a try too!

post #229 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-12-11, 05:39 PM
Rookie

Can't get all the channels

hi everyone,
I am a newbie in the forum and need some help with this issue
I had to replace the satellite dish we used (loaner) with a new one from Shaw.
the old one worked perfectly with a signal of 68% and was getting all the channels.
With the new dish I get 92% signal but can't get the channels above 292
Thanks
Dave

Last edited by 57; 2011-12-11 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Moved to existing thread.
post #230 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-12-19, 03:25 AM

Cool

David,

Try my paint by numbers approach mentioned above. http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...&postcount=165

Assuming you are on the Advanced Channel line-up, I think you are locked onto F1 but have missed the F2 Bird. You are close but not quite dialed in enough.

Regards,
Jim

Last edited by 57; 2011-12-19 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed
post #231 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-12-19, 09:09 AM
Rookie

locator satellute

If you have any problem finding a signal satellute I am sending you a recommendation for this site locator satellute http://www.sat-locator.com/;)
post #232 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-12-26, 11:52 PM

Thinking of getting Shaw Direct, anything I should look out for?

I'm located in Burlington, Ontario right now and I've seen Shaw Direct PVRs and boxes appearing in Best Buys and Future Shops lately.

I also got a flyer in the mail for the "Ultimate HD" experience. Looks pretty damn good, especially considering you get to keep the boxes, and get credits to cover their costs.

My only concern is that satellite reception in Burlington might be crap. Does anyone else have Shaw direct anywhere in Halton?

I'm sick of paying Cogeco upwards of $40/mo for about 30 channels when I could spend a bit more and get nearly everything.
post #233 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-12-27, 12:56 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
My only concern is that satellite reception in Burlington might be crap.
I have no idea why you would think this. Satellite reception is just fine all over Canada and even the US. You need a clear line of sight to the satellite from where you plan to put the dish - no buildings or trees in the way.

There may be some rare occasions when you may get rain or snow fade due to poor weather or a heavy buildup of snow on the dish, but it's pretty rare, especially when compared to Bell Sat.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #234 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-12-27, 10:28 AM
QCK

Bibowski - I can attest that reception for Shaw Direct is just fine in Halton, like 57 said it is good all over Canada as well.
post #235 of 826 (permalink) Old 2012-01-18, 08:43 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePotato View Post
Thanks Jimsathome. Sorry about the late reply - I have a ropey wi-fi repeater bridge for my internet connection as there's no more capacity on our local exchange to get DSL.

I did a tweak today (just the skew) which has resulted in a few more HD channels coming in, but not overly well and only upto 70 on the SS / SQ (based on the hidden diagnostic menu). Seems like I need to work on it a little more! Any thoughts? I'll give the advice in your previous post a try too!
Hi All,

So, during our last storm, we lost reception - turns out I hadn't tightened the dish as much as I thought I had. I swung it round on the azimuth (skew and elevation seemed OK) and steeled myself to yet again get the alignment, but, to my surprise, I had 96% on the SD channel I was checking and around 67% on the HD channel. So, I left it at that as that's better than I ever achieved before. So far, all the SD and (most all) of the HD channels are reliable. One HD channel (SN One) is not so reliable and I can't get the following channels at all (at least the ones I'm supposed to get with my package choices):
-----------------------
12033 H
tp 27

Digicipher 2
SR 20500
FEC 2/3

Ku
0-50

Radio-Canada HD HD Digicipher 2 1 620
Super Écran HD Digicipher 2 2 621 F
RDS HD Digicipher 2 3 622 F
Canal D HD Digicipher 2 4 623 F

Would a skew tweak pull these in? I borrowed an analogue satellite finder but am unsure of the correct method of using it. Can anyone help me to get the remaining kinks ironed out?

Thanks & Regards,
The Potato
post #236 of 826 (permalink) Old 2012-01-18, 09:47 PM

Cool

Glad to see you got positive results even though it was a bit unconventional.

You are still not locked onto F2 well enough to call it good but you are close. Some specs say a 70 on signal strength and 6.5 on ECBno is the minimum for any channel. Now all you need to do is tweak the dish.

First mark where you are so you can get back there if you somehow mess up. I've found an easy way is to go to the worst channel (transponder) and try to dial it in. It's more than likely an F2 HD channel. You may find the SD values degrade a bit when you are done, but it's better to have a stronger HD signal as it takes a stronger signal (relatively) to maintain the HD picture quality over an SD signal.

Is it warm enough there to go crawling around the roof?

Regards,
Jim
post #237 of 826 (permalink) Old 2012-01-19, 02:28 AM

As far as I know there is no xku lnb available for a 75 cm dish unless i missed the memo
post #238 of 826 (permalink) Old 2012-01-19, 03:24 AM
Veteran

They're selling them online and there is a photo on another site of both 60 and 75 xku for 3 sats so I guess you missed it.
post #239 of 826 (permalink) Old 2012-01-19, 05:38 AM

Darn
post #240 of 826 (permalink) Old 2012-01-20, 12:19 PM

I'm in Burlington as well. We switched to Shaw Direct (from Cogeco) two months ago because it's cheaper. We're paying $14-15 less per month for more channels. Our signal is perfectly fine. There have been no problems even in bad wheather. When we had ExpressVu, the signal went in bad wheather.

Tags
burlington , cogeco , halton , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in