Shaw Direct Satellite Installation Discussions - See Post 1 - Page 15 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #211 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-11-10, 10:32 PM

Minimum Elevation

Wondering if anyone has any idea what the minimum elevation I would need to have to be able to receive both F1 and F2 with a 75E dish... Where I am now in Resolute Bay, both my 1.2m dish's are at 6 or so degrees, but when I move to another community for my second posting, it will be significantly south of here, F2 will be at roughly 13-15 degrees elevation, I find that dishpointer.com is off on their recommended dish sizes. Any guesses?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-11-11, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny001 View Post
Wondering if anyone has any idea what the minimum elevation I would need to have to be able to receive both F1 and F2 with a 75E dish... Where I am now in Resolute Bay, both my 1.2m dish's are at 6 or so degrees, but when I move to another community for my second posting, it will be significantly south of here, F2 will be at roughly 13-15 degrees elevation, I find that dishpointer.com is off on their recommended dish sizes. Any guesses?
After all your efforts you are going to leave your set up there when you move?

I read where SD advises a minimum of 12 degrees elevation so you'll be better than that. I looked it up.

On Page 11 of the self install manual: "The reception of satellite signals in areas with a dish elevation less than 12 degrees may not be possible." That's with a Shaw Stock Dish but I'd use a 75e in any case if you can get one.

Regards,
Jim
post #213 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-11-11, 03:10 AM

On a Quad LNB use 299.

Regards,
Jim

post #214 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-11-11, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsathome View Post
After all your efforts you are going to leave your set up there when you move?

I read where SD advises a minimum of 12 degrees elevation so you'll be better than that. I looked it up.

On Page 11 of the self install manual: "The reception of satellite signals in areas with a dish elevation less than 12 degrees may not be possible." That's with a Shaw Stock Dish but I'd use a 75e in any case if you can get one.
Well It will all depend on where I move, it's still up in the air, and the RCMP will only pay for a limited amount of weight for personal effects. The member who replaces me will have to compensate me for the equipment of course. In all likely hood, I will bring at least one of the dishes with me. I already have a 75E, which at 6 degrees got me about 3.5 ECB on standard def, and flat line on HD. So depending on where I move, I may be able to HD with the 75E, if not, I should certainly be able to get SD with the 75E and hook up one of the 1.2m for HD. Thanks for the info Jim, you've been a great resource for me during the past year..... This forum is awesome, it's given me so much knowledge on satellite technology, so much so that I am doing installations of explornet systems for a company in Montreal. They sent me a S22 Spectrum Analyzer and I've picked up a new hobby!
post #215 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-11-14, 09:36 PM
Rookie

trouble getting signal with hd600 and 75e dish

Hi there,

I'm having an issue correctly aiming a 75e dish at our camp in Lynn Lake, Manitoba.

I have 60e dish on my primary residence, with an xku lnb. I wanted to bring my hd600 with me when we are at our camp, so I purchased a 75e dish and a 75e xku outside of shaw direct.(I didn't qualify for the home away from home because I could not provide a utility bill. We use generators at our camp.)

I set up the dish this past weekend, made sure everything was level, but when I tried to acquire a signal on channel 252, I could only get 65 to 70 percent signal with no picture. On 299, I get no signal at all. It is also not steady, in that it sometimes goes to 0 and then back to 65 to 70. The box beside the meter is green, and I have 4128 entered in the emm, but still nothing. The signal meter itself is red.

As far as I can tell, I have clear line of sight and my azimuth, skew and elevation are correct. I'm aimed at 111.1 f2 as per the shaw self install guide.

I appreciate any answers provided!

Thanks in advance!
post #216 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-11-14, 10:57 PM
Rookie

further to my previous post, I guess I should ask whether I should be tuning with 252 or 299. I've read conflicting info as far as which one I should be using.

Thanks again!
post #217 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-11-15, 08:36 AM

is the receiver your trying to use at the camp the same receiver you use at home? (has it been activated) if not then yes you should be using channel 252 with the xku lnb.
if i were you i would take the receiver home and hook it up and activate it before taking it to the camp, this will make your trouble shooting easier.
i've never used the receivers signal metre so i can't offer any help or suggestions on what that's telling you.

"The quality of your question will directly effect the quality of your answer"
post #218 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-11-15, 10:04 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the reply. It was activated before I brought it out to my camp. It was activated using my 60e dish.
post #219 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-11-18, 10:42 AM

If activated previously on a quad lnb, you put the receiver on ch700 when connecting an Xku lnb, you will have a picture when aimed correctly. Then call Shaw to get a Vcode change to the Xku lnb. Other channels will not work until after channel map download...good luck.
post #220 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-11-19, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny001 View Post
Well It will all depend on where I move, it's still up in the air, and the RCMP will only pay for a limited amount of weight for personal effects. The member who replaces me will have to compensate me for the equipment of course. In all likely hood, I will bring at least one of the dishes with me. I already have a 75E, which at 6 degrees got me about 3.5 ECB on standard def, and flat line on HD. So depending on where I move, I may be able to HD with the 75E, if not, I should certainly be able to get SD with the 75E and hook up one of the 1.2m for HD. Thanks for the info Jim, you've been a great resource for me during the past year..... This forum is awesome, it's given me so much knowledge on satellite technology, so much so that I am doing installations of explornet systems for a company in Montreal. They sent me a S22 Spectrum Analyzer and I've picked up a new hobby!
Danny,

Glad to be of help.

They let you moonlight with the RCMP?

Regards,
Jim
post #221 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-11-19, 01:17 AM

Cool Does anyone else have a Theory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius Guy View Post
If activated previously on a quad lnb, you put the receiver on ch700 when connecting an Xku lnb, you will have a picture when aimed correctly. Then call Shaw to get a Vcode change to the Xku lnb. Other channels will not work until after channel map download...good luck.
Sirius,

cdrew said "I have 60e dish on my primary residence, with an xku lnb. I wanted to bring my hd600 with me when we are at our camp, so I purchased a 75e dish and a 75e xku outside of shaw direct." So if true => that eliminates a V-Code hit being required.

He goes on to say the 600 was working at home. So assuming his cabling is fine as he "could only get 65 to 70 percent signal with no picture." I either suspect the Dish is not set up plumb and aimed correctly (see one of my earlier posts in this thread for simple methodology on how to do that => you could be hitting another Bird), or the LNB is not a 75e xKu.

Does anyone else have a Theory?

Regards,
Jim
post #222 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-11-25, 01:41 AM
Rookie

New 75e elliptical dish and older DSR505 receiver

For the last two days I have been trying to install a older DSR505 receiver with a new 75e dish on a new home. The packing invoice with the dish indicates the dish is a XKu 75 cm elliptical dish with quad LNBF.

The dish has been carefully mounted, is plumb, and has a clear line of sight to the sky. I have followed the "paint by number how to" guide posted earlier in this thread. Signal strength remains pegged at 14 no matter how the dish is adjusted.

I think my problem may be due to the age of the receiver. Although I purchased new, it was previously used with a smaller elliptical dish and has been in storage since May 2009. After much reading I think my inability to get a signal is because the receiver is coded/set to work with the older LNB.

My questions to the group:

1. If the receiver is coded for the older LNB, will the receiver satellite indicator change from red to green when honing in on the satellite if the dish is equipped with the xKu LNBF?

2. Should SL, SQ and SS on the diagnostics screen update as the dish is adjusted, if the receiver (coded for the older LNB) is connected to the newer xKU LNBF? If "yes", what numbers indicate a good signal?

3. If the receiver needs to be updated in order to tune the dish, how do you do this? From what I've read the receiver update is sent to the receiver via satellite. Seems like an impossibility if I can't first get the receiver to receive the signal.

I have tried a factory reset to no avail. Appreciate any help anyone can offer!

Last edited by Anschutz; 2011-11-25 at 01:58 AM.
post #223 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-11-27, 03:39 AM
Rookie

Two days later, issues resolved and I can now watch the Grey Cup!

This post is in follow-up to my earlier questions. Although there were no replies, I'm posting what I've learned. Take note that I'm not an installer and have no professional training. I was able however to install the 75e dish with the xKU LNBF, orient to the correct satellite thanks to the (paint buy numbers guide), and get Shaw to remotely activate/update my older DSR505 receivers to work with the new xKU LNBF.

1. If the receiver is coded for the older LNB, will the receiver satellite indicator change from red to green when honing in on the satellite if the dish is equipped with the xKu LNBF?

Answer: Yes, however only on channel 252. For purposes of aiming the dish, the red/green signal indicator on the front panel is not very helpful. Neither is "Tune Satellite Signal" Options 4-3-1.

2. Should SL, SQ and SS on the diagnostics screen update as the dish is adjusted, if the receiver (coded for the older LNB) is connected to the newer xKU LNBF? If "yes", what numbers indicate a good signal?

Answer: Yes. Accessing the hidden diagnostic screen (Options 4-9-7-7-1) reveals values for SL (Signal Level), SQ (Signal Quality), SS (Signal Strength). These values are a direct real time feed from the xKU LNBF. Aiming the dish to find the Anik F2 satellite is way easier than using the graphic signal strength display. Values I was able to achieve were SL:94 SQ:94 SS:70. I've learned that a SL of 94 is exceptional and not typical. Minimum SL I was told by a tech to receive the update is 70. (PS: Right and Left arrows on the remote allow you to page through the diagnostic information).

3. If the receiver needs to be updated in order to tune the dish, how do you do this? From what I've read the receiver update is sent to the receiver via satellite. Seems like an impossibility if I can't first get the receiver to receive the signal.

The receiver does not need to be updated to tune the xKU LNBF 72e dish. Uncertain if required however my approach was to factory reset (Options 4-9-8-8) and tune to channel 252. (Receiver defaults to 299 after rebooting from the factory reset).

Other tidbit that helped resolve my issue was using dishpointer.com. Plugged in my address, selected "Starchoice 107W & 111W". Values provided by this site were more accurate than Shaw's installation guide.

One other challenge I had was getting a Shaw tech on the telephone that was knowledgeable in what needed to be done. Receiver must be on channel 252 to activate and receive the update. The Shaw tech must also enter the correct v code in the system on their end. It took multiple calls/attempts with techs at Shaw before finding one that recognized the issue was with the v code and knew how to correct. Uncertain if related however once the correct v code was entered and update received, System Status (Options 4-7) indicated a Network Data Status of 551-4323. All other prior attempts to remotely update the receiver failed and presented a lower number.

Thanks to everyone who has posted experiences, tips and solutions. Great reading and I've learned much more than I ever intended. Perhaps next time I'll simply give up and have them send out a technician.
post #224 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-11-28, 05:00 AM

A few questions/clarifications for the people who know more about this than I do. I've read through the thread and there are still a few things I'm unsure about.

1) I see quite a few mentions of tuning using channel 252. Is that on the classic or advanced lineup?

2) Is the new xKu LNB compatible with the WB68 multiswitch?

3) What would be the process to switch over a dual stacked LNB to the xKu LNB? Get the vcode changed before the switch? Would any realignment of the dish be necessary, or can the LNB just be swapped? Which channel should the receivers be tuned to receive the new vcode, or does it matter? Note we currently have 4 receivers (505, 605, 217, 317) hooked up to a 2x4 multiswitch.

Thanks!
post #225 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-11-28, 10:59 PM
Rookie

After doing a factory reset on my 630, 505, 317 the only channel that would work for tuning the dish was 252. After confirming the factory reset the receiver automatically reboots. The default channel after reboot is 299. I needed to change this to 252 in order to get a signal from the dish. I don't think old/new channel guide really matters.

Another tidbit worth mentioning is that if the receiver is an older model, before swapping the dish/LNB confirm the receiver has the current firmware version. The firmware version on my 505 and 317 after the factory reset is 00.F6. I found this needed to be updated to FE before connecting to the new dish in order to receive the updates. (Options 4-7 displays "H. Current Version")

I'm uncertain about your multi-switch questions as I'm running all my receivers on dedicated lines from the dish. I suspect you may need to tweak the dish alignment for the new xKU LNBF. On my dish the xKU quad LNBF appears offset slightly. I think you'd know pretty quick if you need to tweak based on the signal strength with the new LNB. Aligning/tweaking the dish is quite easy using the hidden diagnostics menu. Be sure to mark the dish before starting to tweak.

Good luck.

Tags
burlington , cogeco , halton , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in