Shaw Direct Satellite Installation Discussions - See Post 1 - Page 12 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #166 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-09-24, 02:54 PM

Thanks to all of you! not sure if the brand new dish has the new LNB or not, might have been old stock from the store I bought it from, I am still up north, and I had it shipped to my in laws, leaving tomorrow morning, can't wait to get out of here! I'll post back to let ya'll know how I made out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-09-26, 11:49 AM

Question

Hello everyone. I have a slightly odd question.

I live in the north and had to set up my own SD dish, which went pretty well. At the time I didn't have a sat finder, but I do now so I'm hoping to fine tune my dish before getting into winter. My question is regarding to Shaw's tuning instructions. They tell you to point the dish at F2, but they say to have the TV on channel 299 (Advanced), which is an F1R channel. As someone who mainly watches the HD channels and little else, would it be best for me to fine tune it when the receiver is on an F2 channel?

Does the skew setting effect your F2 reception or is it solely for receiving F1R?

Thanks.
post #168 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-09-26, 10:32 PM

Raptor, where in the North do you live??? What size dish do you have?? I live in Resolute Bay, and I have 2 1.2 meter Round dishe's. It was impossible for me to get HD with shaws 75 cm eliptical dish....give me your details and i'll be able to help you out.

post #169 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-09-27, 02:58 AM

I am in Churchill with a 60cm dish.
post #170 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-09-27, 02:27 PM
Veteran

Skew does two things.

1. It sets the antenna probes in the LNBF to be inline with the probes in the satellite.

2. It sets the dish in line with the satellite arc, so that it gets both satellites.
post #171 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-09-27, 04:33 PM

oh when you said north I assumed you meant NORTH like in Nunavut....a 60cm according to Dishpointer will work for churchill .......according to dishpointer and shaw direct online skew setting for churchill should be at 100 on the scale on the back of your dish.....tune the dish while your tv is on channel 280, TSN HD, which I've found is one of the more "weaker" ones. If you get this one strong, the rest should come in just fine!
post #172 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-09-29, 02:03 AM

How To Set up a 2nd Shaw Direct Dish & Receiver

My sister who lives out of town currently has a Shaw Direct Subscription and wants to get a 2nd Receiver & Dish for their Cottage. I understand this is allowed under their current contract. We purchased the Shaw 630 HD Receiver today and discovered that there is absolutely no mention of Shaw's Satellites, ie 107.0W & 110.0W? or any installation instructions re Dish Alignment in the Manual - just contact Shaw re Installation!!

Shaw wants big bucks to go out and install the 2nd Receiver. I hope to pick up the 76 cm Dish with Quad Lnbf tomorrow. Can anyone help as to where I can get Alignment info and Instructions? Any replies would be very much appreciated.
post #173 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-09-29, 02:06 AM

Where are you located? Where do you want the second dish installed?

Winegard PR8800, YA1713, Zenith7777 Preamp, 42" Aquos 120hz, Samsung UP5000 Blu Ray/HDDVD, C/Ku Band, Directv H21, 22.
post #174 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-09-29, 03:06 AM

PrinceLH thanks, location is outside of Winnipeg, have already gone to www.satcalculator.net re Dish Elevation = 31.64 and Look - angle, Azimuth, & Skew, just not sure re Dish Adjustments and Receiver setup.

I noticed on satcalculator that the Satellites it mentions for Starchoice, (which is now Shaw) are listed as 107 degrees Anik F1R & 111.1 degrees Anik F2, does that still apply for Shaw? So then which of the 2 do you Align to, something in between for Best Signal?
post #175 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-09-29, 10:37 AM

Quote:
So then which of the 2 do you Align to, something in between for Best Signal?
You should use the data for Anik F2 for your pointing. The boresight (the direction of the LNB mounting arm) should be looking exactly at Anik F2 (referred to as "Sat B" on the LNB and in some instruction manuals). When this is achieved, and when the proper skew is set, the signal from Anik F1R will come in automatically to the "Sat A" side of your LNB.

If your receiver is authorized, you should then see all channels in your package.

If your receiver is NOT authorized, you must call Shaw at this point to do so.

From that point forward, you may need to make slight tweaks to the dish to maximize the signal on one of your favorite channels from each of the two satellites.
post #176 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-09-30, 02:51 AM
Veteran

Help! South of San Diego. Data says 168 deg and 51.4...168-12 or so 156.

I aim there. My sat finder finds two signals of 70+ and my receivers show 12-18 only and can't get better. set to 299 so I thought even though they are unplugged, one for a week, one for 10 months, they would show the signal.
post #177 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-09-30, 09:16 AM

receiver showing 12-18 suggests you are pointing to the wrong satellite. I suggest panning across horizon to adjacent 1-2 sat east and west using your sat finder.
post #178 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-09-30, 05:02 PM
Veteran

***ALERT!*** Succeeded. Bashing the dish around loading it into the trailer compartment messed something up. I had to go to elev 54 instead of 51.4. Will make a note to add 2.6 and try to see what got "bent" or whatever. I need to be reminded if you find only one signal as you pan you are not at the right elev. Thanks!

*&(^^ Thanks for your attention. I have panned across and don't seem to be picking up anything else. Previously with an accutrac 22 I was getting multiple dual sats and just had to pick one pair. Elevation reads correct but I'll have to try to adjust and see.
Dish is 75 elliptical and has worked fine til now. Changed cable and connected directly to receiver outside and got same reading +-1
I will try a hit on the receivers but unless I have the right sat won't do any good.
post #179 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-10-01, 03:43 AM

Cool a methodology that works for me every time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitigator View Post
PrinceLH thanks, location is outside of Winnipeg, have already gone to www.satcalculator.net re Dish Elevation = 31.64 and Look - angle, Azimuth, & Skew, just not sure re Dish Adjustments and Receiver setup.

I noticed on satcalculator that the Satellites it mentions for Starchoice, (which is now Shaw) are listed as 107 degrees Anik F1R & 111.1 degrees Anik F2, does that still apply for Shaw? So then which of the 2 do you Align to, something in between for Best Signal?
Thanks to many folks here (including joshuals) I developed a methodology that works for me every time.

Check it out here:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...&postcount=165

Regards,
Jim
post #180 of 826 (permalink) Old 2011-10-01, 04:38 AM

Thanks for the great info joshuals and jimsathome.

Compass Azimuth:
One thing I've never been too clear on is this Compass Azimuth info. Shaw's installation Table in their Manual for Winnipeg says Compass Azimuth = 188, Dish Elevation = 32, and Skew = 99. Satcalculator.net for our Location in Winnipeg says:
True Azimuth = 195.46
Magn. Azimuth = 191.23
Skew Angle = 98.4
Dish Elevation = 31.64

I bought one of those battery powered $5.00 Digital Compass / Organizers at the Sat Store where I got my 76 cm Dish yesterday, (their Compass's were a more expensive $25.00), but where would I need to aim the Dish to on the Digital Compass? 188 degrees like Shaw specifies or 195.46 as noted in Satcalculator.net?

Tags
burlington , cogeco , halton , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in