Shaw Direct Satellite Installation Discussions - See Post 1 - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #136 of 815 (permalink) Old 2011-09-06, 03:52 AM

Quote:
I have a HDDSR-600. My dish is a shaw dish with a Quad LNB.
Is it a Ku Quad or the NEW XKu quad. if its the new one you will need to aim using 252 or 700 then call for a refresh/V-Code change. Channel 299 will not get any signal with the XKu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 815 (permalink) Old 2011-09-06, 07:37 AM
Rookie

Hey Jim...Thanks for the tips. I'll try it again tonight. But to be completely honest I've tried what you suggested 4 or 5 times now over the last 2 days.

But I'm up for giving it a couple more tries. I'll let you know how it goes.

Its a 60E dish and 60E Quad LNB
post #138 of 815 (permalink) Old 2011-09-06, 11:27 AM
Veteran

You don't tune new receivers with 284 anymore. They come pre-programmed with a default map which has 299 in the proper place, for non Extended LNBFs anyways.

Anyhow, I moved my dish from one corner of the house to the back of the deck (due to construction that will be happining). I just set the dish on the pole in the new location, and it worked right away, no turning.

I recommend you set the skew and elevation right away, as per the dish install manual.

post #139 of 815 (permalink) Old 2011-09-06, 05:29 PM
Rookie

Hey Jimsathome,

The manual I have says that Sat B is at 236 degrees. 232 degrees is Sat A.
post #140 of 815 (permalink) Old 2011-09-06, 05:43 PM
Rookie

Is there anything else that could cause no signal on 299?
post #141 of 815 (permalink) Old 2011-09-06, 08:34 PM
Rookie

Took me reciever over to 1 neighbour. No signal.
Took it over to a different neighbour....still no signal.

Weird eh?

The box was workign at my brothers place in Ottawa on Friday.
post #142 of 815 (permalink) Old 2011-09-06, 08:37 PM

i'd suggest a factory reset on the receiver, options 4,8,8,9. do this at the neihbors house where you know it should workand you check it. if his dish is new it may have an xku lnb, if so your receiver will show no signal on 299. and signal on 252.
do you have any trees at home that could be blocking the lower bird?
if it was working at your brothers it's very possible it's a new install and was done using an sku...... wich will mean you may need an xku lnb...if it's still "your brothers receiver"

"The quality of your question will directly effect the quality of your answer"
post #143 of 815 (permalink) Old 2011-09-07, 01:03 PM
Rookie

Signal strength, but 0 level and 0 quality.

Hi,

I was hoping to get some help after 2 days of no success...

First off, this is not my first dish install, but the first with new equipment. My old equipment took about 15 minutes to find and align the satellites. I now have the 630 receiver with the xKu LNB and 60 cm dish. I also have an old 421 and 401 receivers that I have used to try to help troubleshoot.

I am in an area that requires me to self install, so I don't have the option of giving up and seeking a pro.

My mast is plumb (within my ability to accurately drill holes in brick), I have a clear view of the satellite location (A tall tree is roughly 13 degrees below the satellite location). I am using RG6 cable (new, but not quad shield) with a run of about 35-40 feet between LNB and receiver -there is a grounding block where it enters the house. Two similar lines have been run for the two connections on the receiver.

I entered the EMM id as 4128 on the tuning screen, but it stayed red and the meter was pegged at 0. (initially, I was tuning on channel 299, but was later told by shaw that I needed to use 252 -in both cases, the meter stayed at 0). My old receiver picked up 20% signal when connected, but this was clearly noise, as the signal was the same in all directions.

I was directed to the diagnostic screen by shaw and saw SL=0 SQ=0 SS=37. this was with ballparking the alignment. The tech told me to use that screen to align, as it was a realtime feed from the LNB. With this screen, I could see the ss change with dish position and I was able to get up to about ss=56. SL and SQ stayed at 0. ECb NO is "N/A" if the information given to me by the tech is accurate (the diagnostic screen lacks a label for the value.)

The next call to tech support told me that I was on the right satellite, but I needed to get SL and SQ to over 70. In all of my careful attempts to align, these numbers were stable at 0. My wife saw them jump up once for a second, but we could never get them back. I was moving the dish in very small increments.

What steps should I take now? Could this be a hardware problem?

Thanks for any help,

Tom
post #144 of 815 (permalink) Old 2011-09-07, 01:46 PM

My guess is that your skew if off...
If possible, take the receiver outside with you and run an rg6 back to a TV on the ground. This would remove your cabling as an issue.
It is a lot easier to tune with being able to watch the numbers change.

When you are done tune to the NFL network to make sure you have both satellites. I've done that before where I thought I was peaked to the right satellite- only to be off by 4 degrees.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #145 of 815 (permalink) Old 2011-09-09, 04:42 PM

hey Guys

i got a problem maybe some experts might be able to help

i got another Shaw Direct Dish with a Dual Quad LNB

and i have 3 receivers model 605

here my Problem

i got the new xKu LNB installed about 2 weeks now
all 3 receivers work with it

but when i install a new dish Dual Quad LNB @ my Country house signal don't come in good !! what i mean by this is that i get Strong Signal on both Birds F1R and F2 on my Birdog or Super Buddy but it don't come in the Receiver good !!!

example Channel 300 got signal @ 98 and channel 299 got signal 0 so in other words it catches 1 bird and but not the other!!

any reason why it would do that ?

is it a Shaw thing or am missing something ?
post #146 of 815 (permalink) Old 2011-09-09, 04:46 PM

if your receivers were activated with an xku lnb I beleive they have have a different channel map then the quad, I think a call to the call centre to have a different channel map sent to the receiver you want at the cottage will solve your issues, to be honest i'm not sure tho and have been meaning to ask....let us know how you make out with the csr.

post #147 of 815 (permalink) Old 2011-09-09, 04:49 PM

Location: Ottawa, ON; Shaw Direct HDPVR630; Samsung HLT5687; Harmon/Kardon AVR247; Harmon/Kardon HKTS11
You have two different types on LNBs. The receivers require different v-codes for proper channel mapping. You will need to call a CSR to get them to hit your receiver at your cottage with a different v-code.

Edit: Installer beat me to it... ;-)
post #148 of 815 (permalink) Old 2011-09-09, 05:17 PM

thx for the replies

is there a place where i can buy the new xKU Lnbs ?
post #149 of 815 (permalink) Old 2011-09-09, 06:06 PM

any shaw dealer, shaw themselves, or of course there's always ebay.

post #150 of 815 (permalink) Old 2011-09-10, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy49ERS View Post
thx for the replies

is there a place where i can buy the new xKU Lnbs ?
why in the world would you BUY one?....Wouldnt SD be providing them for free?

Tags
burlington , cogeco , halton , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in