Multiswitch Discussions - Page 9 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #121 of 361 (permalink) Old 2011-05-04, 12:50 AM
Rookie

LNBF - Multiswitch question

Hello All,

Scoured the net for days now and can't find the answer I'm looking for. Hoping you guys can help. My *C service is currently set up for stacked(2 beer can lnbf) my question is: Would I have to change the service from stacked to non stacked (call *C and ask them to change it) to use a quad lnbf with a multiswitch or does the multiswitch do the conversion to stacked for you?

Hope that makes sense. It does in my head

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 361 (permalink) Old 2011-05-04, 09:01 AM

I believe you would have to call, as the receivers would have to be remapped. If you do not call, you will only receive half the channels
post #123 of 361 (permalink) Old 2011-05-04, 12:18 PM
Veteran

Unless you want to go buy de-stackers (one per LNBF), you need to call and have the v-code on all your receivers changed.

post #124 of 361 (permalink) Old 2011-05-31, 10:35 AM

Want to clarify my upgrade path here. I currently have a 630 and a 505. I'd like to add another 630 while keep the others. SO...I'm lacking 1 output from my LNB. The LNB I have is a dual side by side with 4 outputs.

So to add the new 630 I'll need the receiver and a 4/8 multiplexer correct? What's the usual cost on the multiplexer?
post #125 of 361 (permalink) Old 2011-05-31, 11:09 AM

yes you'll need a 4x8 multiswitch, the switches $85-$99 call shaw direct they may throw in a free multiswitch and instalation with the purchase of your 630.

"The quality of your question will directly effect the quality of your answer"
post #126 of 361 (permalink) Old 2011-05-31, 04:39 PM

I just noticed on the spec sheets for the two 4x8 multiswitches Shaw carries, that the frequency range on the "indoor" switch is far greater than the "outdoor" switch. Would this have any effect? What frequencies do the quad LNB's output? See links below for spec sheets.

Thanks.

Frequency range: 950-1450MHz
https://secure.shawdirect.ca/english...spec_sheet.pdf

Frequency range: 950-2200Mhz
https://secure.shawdirect.ca/english...spec_sheet.pdf
post #127 of 361 (permalink) Old 2011-05-31, 08:41 PM

the 950-1450 covers it. so no benifit i'm aware of to the 2200.

"The quality of your question will directly effect the quality of your answer"
post #128 of 361 (permalink) Old 2011-05-31, 09:33 PM
QCK

Get the second one, there are a few issues with the first one. I have the second one and it has been flawless. Buy it on ebay or online somewhere else, it is a lot less expensive than through Shaw Direct, or better yet see if they will throw it in for free as mentioned.
post #129 of 361 (permalink) Old 2011-05-31, 11:05 PM

Cool

If you are looking for a deal try this:

I bought the Philips SDW5058 Satellite Multiswitch primarily because it was 5X8 and outdoor rated. Whereas the Eagle Aspen version was indoor rated only. It comes with the typical isolated (ungrounded) wall wort type AC power supply. I went to Princess Auto and bought the Phillips SWD5058/17 5X8 Multiswitch off the shelf. You don't need to use the "5th" input (It's for an over the air antenna or Cable).

It was listed for $39.99 but with a sale sticker for $36.01. I noticed when I got outside, the net after tax was $35.85 so I checked the bill, and it scanned in at $32.01 plus taxes. The cashier said I could return it if I didnít like it anytime as long as itís not worn...(Sounds better than Costco -and a lot cheaper than SD!)

So if you are close to a Princess Auto...
Or?

Regards,
Jim
post #130 of 361 (permalink) Old 2011-06-01, 12:21 PM

QCK, what issues does the first one have? I really need an outdoor rated one so the second one will not work,

Jimsathome, I'm about an hour and half away from a Princess Auto. I tried searching their website but didn't find any multiswitches. Do you know anywhere online I can order it in Canada?

Thanks guys!
post #131 of 361 (permalink) Old 2011-06-01, 01:47 PM
QCK

I'm not sure honestly but the installer I had said there were issues with them. If you are putting the switch outside you are better off to use this switch which uses no extrenal power. I use this one for my HAFH and it does not cost much: Zinwell WB68
post #132 of 361 (permalink) Old 2011-06-01, 04:07 PM

I thought that the multiswitch needed to be powered for anything beyond 4 outputs due to signal loss. Or am I mistaken?

The Zinwell WB68 looks like it would be ideal though, and would solve the problem of having to run power to it as well. Are there any known issues with this multiswitch?

Any idea where I can order/get one from? I'm in a pretty small town, so ordering online would be the route I'm looking for.

Thanks.
post #133 of 361 (permalink) Old 2011-06-01, 05:22 PM
QCK

No, this switch works just fine without the added power supply. And my cable runs are about 150 ft as well.

Just do a search and you will find places to buy it. E bay would be the cheapest, or a place like solid signal should have them as well. Just get it delivered to your place.
post #134 of 361 (permalink) Old 2011-06-01, 05:57 PM

I checked Ebay and Solid Signal. All of the ones on Ebay are from the states (same with Solid Signal), so I'll probably wait until the whole post office strike is settled before ordering. I really don't want to use UPS or Fedex for something from the US because of the crazy brokerage fees.

I'm also going to need a new LNB I think. I currently have a dual-stacked 75cm dish, but I think the LNB might be for a 60cm dish. I had one of the outputs on the original LNB go a few years ago and the install guy said he had a spare one he could install. I never mentioned it was a 75cm dish (since I thought the LNB's were the same at the time) and he never mentioned anything when installing it, so I'm thinking he put a 60cm LNB up there since my signal never goes above 60 (it was originally about 85 when the dish was first installed). I'll have to get a ladder to check though.

Would Shaw provide a LNB replacement for free?
post #135 of 361 (permalink) Old 2011-06-01, 07:17 PM
QCK

Yes, call Shaw Direct and tell them your issue. They should do a free replacement and dish setup. Make very sure they understand you need a 75e LNB quad head so the tech has it with him when he comes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in