Multiswitch Discussions - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 364 (permalink) Old 2011-01-13, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsathome View Post
I expect some day SD will learn how to multiplex it's signals bi-directionally at the dish into a single cable and let you peel them off as needed. Having to run 2 cables to each TV (where you want a PVR) in an already built house is somewhat punitive.

But then maybe I'm dreaming...
The tech exists - DirecTV already has this with their Single Wire Multiswitch. Maybe Shaw will just license it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 364 (permalink) Old 2011-01-13, 09:11 AM
Veteran

That is one way. They way Dish does it, I think, is send one tuner's signal on the regular band, and the other tuner on the higher band.

Of course, doing that would require somthing a bit smarter, but likely is doable with existing receiver hardware (except a more or less simple splitter), but will need a new LNBF/Multiswitch.

SWiM will requre additional receiver electronics.
post #108 of 364 (permalink) Old 2011-01-22, 10:11 AM

still confused

I get the 4x8/5x8 multiswitch i think. All four outputs from the LNB must go into multiswitch for it to work.

Now, i am only using 2 lines from my dish, both hooked up to 605 recievers. Its to cold to go out and ad another line from the LNB. So can i still use a different type multi switch to add another reciever from in the house? I guess that would make it a splitter?

post #109 of 364 (permalink) Old 2011-01-22, 10:29 AM

after using the Phillips for three weeks, it's rather hot to the touch, so much so that you couldn't hold it in your hand that long. is that the same with your Phillips?
post #110 of 364 (permalink) Old 2011-01-22, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
I get the 4x8/5x8 multiswitch i think. All four outputs from the LNB must go into multiswitch for it to work.

Now, i am only using 2 lines from my dish, both hooked up to 605 recievers. Its to cold to go out and ad another line from the LNB. So can i still use a different type multi switch to add another reciever from in the house? I guess that would make it a splitter?
No you still don't get it. SD Sat signals cannot be split. The only way is to run a separate feed direct to each Tuner. A PVR has 2 Tuners in the Reciever, so it needs 2 separate feeds. That's either from the LNB or a Multiswitch.

You'll have to wait for Spring, or put on your woolies it seems.

Regards,
Jim
post #111 of 364 (permalink) Old 2011-01-22, 03:54 PM

Thanks, looks like no reciever for downstairs till spring.
post #112 of 364 (permalink) Old 2011-02-04, 07:41 AM
Rookie

just installed an aspen eagle 5x8, all 8 lines being used going out to receivers,no issues with feed coming from multi-switch

has anyone noticed how very warm they can get?

I originally placed it where my four line come in along a 2x10 beam
in an enclosed area, relocated to an open area and placed it along some fireproof drywall. Precaution I thought I should take.

Last edited by forever young; 2011-02-04 at 08:10 AM.
post #113 of 364 (permalink) Old 2011-04-20, 12:53 PM

multiswitch

I trhought I was clear on this, but after reading some of this forum i am a little confused. I orderer a 5x8 multiswitch from Shaw Direct. I assumed I could attach my OTA antenna along with the sat feeds and get the local OTA channels, It appear that I also may need a diplexer from what I'm reading? Does this connect before the multiswitch?

Thanks for the clarification.
post #114 of 364 (permalink) Old 2011-04-20, 01:49 PM

you would need a diplexer for each receiver/tv combo you want to use both Sat and OTA for; you would attach this to the line before your receiver AFTER the multiswtich; the sat out on the diplexer would go to the receiver and the TV out would go to the tv. If you have tv/receiver that you do not want to use OTA, diplexer is not necessary. I hope this makes sense.
post #115 of 364 (permalink) Old 2011-04-20, 03:03 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. As I was reading your post as my multiswitch arrived at the door.

A. What you say makes sense. i assume I will need to change the input on the TV to change from OTA and Sat?

B. To confuse me more, though, the instructions with the multiswitch show both the Sat out and the TV out going to the receiver? I don't see how this would be possible as there is no connection on the receiver for the TV out.

Would appreciate your comments on B. the instructions.

Thanks
post #116 of 364 (permalink) Old 2011-04-20, 03:14 PM

One more question if that OK? I notice the multiswitch has inputs for Sat B 18V, Sat A 18V, Sat B 13V and Sat A 13V. Does this mean I have to figure out which cable from each output on the LNB goes to what input on the multiswitch

Thanks
post #117 of 364 (permalink) Old 2011-04-20, 03:22 PM

ronjoh,

No you don't. simply run all 4 from the lnb into the multiswitch's 4 inputs. then 1 from the power inserter into the input for that.
post #118 of 364 (permalink) Old 2011-04-21, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjoh View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. As I was reading your post as my multiswitch arrived at the door.

A. What you say makes sense. i assume I will need to change the input on the TV to change from OTA and Sat?

B. To confuse me more, though, the instructions with the multiswitch show both the Sat out and the TV out going to the receiver? I don't see how this would be possible as there is no connection on the receiver for the TV out.

Would appreciate your comments on B. the instructions.

Thanks
In some older Sat Recievers DSR505 vintage and earlier, they would tune OTA signals (according to my manual) but today's DRS605 and HDPVR630 don't have this capability.

Regards,
Jim
post #119 of 364 (permalink) Old 2011-04-21, 03:09 PM

The beauty of running the Sat out and TV out to the receiver is you wouldn't have to change the TV input source to switch between OTA and Sat. This is something my wife would find impossible to do (don't ask ).

Hopefully I can use this configuration with my older DSR505.
post #120 of 364 (permalink) Old 2011-04-23, 10:17 AM
Veteran

No Shaw Direct receivers had ATSC tuners. Some versions of the 505 (and maybe 530) hardware could have an ATSC module fitted, but it would need software support. Shaw never promised or released ATSC capability, or the tuner module.

Using RF out from a 505/530 to an HDTV is just wrong. You will not get HD from the satellite receiver that way. Connect the antenna (or diplexer antenna out) to the TV directly, and the satellite component or DVI/HDMI to to the TV.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in