Multiswitch Discussions - Page 7 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #91 of 361 (permalink) Old 2010-11-30, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCK View Post
Buy the Zinwell WB68, like I said it works fine and no additional power is needed.
There doesn't appear to be antenna input on the Zinwell - is that correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 361 (permalink) Old 2010-11-30, 05:52 PM
QCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster View Post
There doesn't appear to be antenna input on the Zinwell - is that correct?
You are correct, there is no antenna input.
post #93 of 361 (permalink) Old 2010-11-30, 07:29 PM

hmm - guess I'll have to find power from somewhere for a different unit, as I have OTA HD.

post #94 of 361 (permalink) Old 2010-12-04, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsathome View Post
I researched various multiswitches and found few that were outdoor rated. As you can see my experience is only recent with the Phillips unit and so far it's working fine. I'm mounting it outdoors, where it should be inside an enclosure of some sort to shield it from the elements (particularly water in it's various forms in winter) and mechanical damage by people and animals.

I've got a 20 X 10 inch plastic enclosure designed for telephone / cable systems for it. It's water resistant to about NEMA 4 enclosure level and quite robust. The photo of the multiswitch is just the temporary install to acertain 100% system functionality. Even the F connectors used will be changed to an outdoor moisture resistant type. I'm contemplating using dielectric grease as well.
Do you know if the Phillips multiswitch has the ability to connect on OTA antenna, or is the Aspen the only one that does that?
post #95 of 361 (permalink) Old 2010-12-04, 02:14 AM
MSM

The Pico-Macom 5x8 supports on OTA (or cable) antenna. Look for a 5x8, instead of a 4x8 - that's the difference. I got my Pico-Macom from Shaw Direct.
post #96 of 361 (permalink) Old 2010-12-04, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Do you know if the Phillips multiswitch has the ability to connect on OTA antenna, or is the Aspen the only one that does that?
The Phillips multiswitch has the ability to connect on OTA antenna, or cable TV input.

Regards,
Jim
post #97 of 361 (permalink) Old 2010-12-10, 12:06 PM

has anyone done a signal loss test with any of these switches? I'm at the low end of the signal spectrum, so a unit that has a 6db loss as opposed to 3db loss is significant to me.
and there IS a difference with these things, as I found out implementing a UHF/SAT combiner. One unit padded down the signal enough so there was NO signal.
thanks
post #98 of 361 (permalink) Old 2010-12-10, 12:21 PM

Quote:
has anyone done a signal loss test with any of these switches? I'm at the low end of the signal spectrum (southern exposure), so a unit that has a 6db loss as opposed to 3db loss is significant to me.
and there IS a difference with these things, as I found out implementing a UHF/SAT combiner. One unit padded down the signal enough so there was NO signal.
thanks
Powered Multiswitches are designed to actually boost the signal a little (~1.5dB) to overcome insertion (connection) losses. If decent cables and F connectors are used your net effect should be always positive with a bit better signal at the reciever.

Regards,
Jim
post #99 of 361 (permalink) Old 2010-12-10, 12:35 PM
MSM

If you look at www.picomacom.com you can find the full specs for a line of multiswitches. I am using the TSMS-5/8, and there is a TSMS-4/8, both of which are powered, so should produce signal gain. Unfortunately, the gain/loss specs they quote leave me confused, as it shows -5 dB for the 5/8 but 0 dB for the 4/8.
post #100 of 361 (permalink) Old 2010-12-29, 02:55 PM

Multiswitch 5x8 question

Hello there, happy new year in advance to everybody.
I have the elliptical with dual Lnb with 4 output feeding 4 receivers (two upstairs and two in the basament)
Just bought a 630 and they sent me a 5x8 aspen.
Im unable to make holes to bring more coax upstairs I was wondering If I can feed the multiswitch with only two coax coming from the antenna so I can have 4 output upstairs or at least 3 (since I will replace one 505 with 630.
So basically use to out from the lnb and feed two input on the multiswitch to have 4 output.
Thank you if you can answer otherwise happy new year to all!
post #101 of 361 (permalink) Old 2010-12-29, 03:04 PM
Rookie

No, it needs all 4.
post #102 of 361 (permalink) Old 2010-12-29, 09:12 PM

thANk you pinza (your nick sounds italian....like me
well I guess I have to find a spot where to put the multi switch(close to the antenna) then I have to run another coax for the power.....
guess If I can mix shaw analog cable and use a multiplex/diplexer at the receivers/tv to separate the signal
post #103 of 361 (permalink) Old 2011-01-03, 01:20 PM

Is there any talk of SD every making use of Dish Pro Splitter like technology? This allows you to only need your switch and the splitter at the receiver so you only need one line at the receiver.

I have contemplated SD many times, but hate the thought of having two cables at every receiver (I have three PVRs and 1 HD receiver currently).
post #104 of 361 (permalink) Old 2011-01-13, 01:11 AM
Rookie

I would really appreciate someone's help here.

The posted diagram shows a quad LNB feeding 2 Eagle Aspen multi-switches, each via 4 2-way splitters. A 2-input sat receiver is fed through a 2-way splitter off one of the multi-switch outputs.

Does this mean that if I have a quad LNB feeding a single Eagle Aspen multi-switch, I can take one of the outputs and feed a 2-way splitter into a 2-input sat receiver (a 530)?

Previous posts have indicated a 2-way splitter won't work to feed a 2-input receiver, but those only addressed lines coming directly off a quad LNB.

Thanks in advance.
post #105 of 361 (permalink) Old 2011-01-13, 02:17 AM

Cool Welcome to the Board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwartzwest View Post
I would really appreciate someone's help here.

The posted diagram shows a quad LNB feeding 2 Eagle Aspen multi-switches, each via 4 2-way splitters. A 2-input sat receiver is fed through a 2-way splitter off one of the multi-switch outputs.

Does this mean that if I have a quad LNB feeding a single Eagle Aspen multi-switch, I can take one of the outputs and feed a 2-way splitter into a 2-input sat receiver (a 530)?

Previous posts have indicated a 2-way splitter won't work to feed a 2-input receiver, but those only addressed lines coming directly off a quad LNB.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the Board.

Here's a Quick version of what you can do off a Quad LNB. You can take each output from the LNB and feed into a Tuner of a Reciever. A PVR Reciever has 2 Tuners so it needs 2 Feed Cables from the Quad LNB. So therefore you can feed one PVR (a 530 or 630) and another PVR, or 2 single tuner reciever (505 or 605s for HD) with a PVR.

Now if you involve a single Multiswitch it needs all 4 of the outputs of the LNB but gives you the ability to drive up to 8 Tuners (and no I'm not going through all those permutations ). You still need to feed 2 of these lines directly into the inputs of your 530 PVR. You cannot split Sat signals and use one cable to feed both inputs into a PVR (a 530 or 630).

To me this is one of the real limitations of this technology, but the benefits outweigh it. I expect some day SD will learn how to multiplex it's signals bi-directionally at the dish into a single cable and let you peel them off as needed. Having to run 2 cables to each TV (where you want a PVR) in an already built house is somewhat punitive.

But then maybe I'm dreaming...

Regards,
Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in