Multiswitch Discussions - Page 24 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #346 of 360 (permalink) Old 2018-12-31, 06:52 PM

Howard: I am pretty sure the 5x8 has to be first when cascading
HowardDoin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #347 of 360 (permalink) Old 2019-02-06, 01:25 AM

signal strength

do multiswitches wear out and lose signal strength over time, being active, electronic devices?

Last edited by tvmaster; 2019-02-06 at 02:21 AM.
post #348 of 360 (permalink) Old 2019-02-06, 03:18 PM

Of course they do. All things man made age and fail over time.

However, I'm watching your posts elsewhere and as you say a "20 point drop, instantly, at the same time each day. That, to me, says atmospheric anomaly or transmission interference." This doesn't point to a multiswitch IMHO as it's a repeating daily occurrence and not all the time.

Regards,
Jim

post #349 of 360 (permalink) Old 2019-02-06, 04:32 PM
Rookie

I still think it is the multiswitch. 57 could be right with voltage charges due to appliances, etc as part of the problem. If it is on the same breaker, it is possible the multiswitch power has a failure at times. Or a grounding issue or frost on a connector outside. etc. Could be a number of things, but lets rule out the item that can cause this issue if not functioning 100%.

Just remove the multiswitch and see if it happens again on ALL the receivers.
post #350 of 360 (permalink) Old 2019-02-07, 12:14 AM

OK, just a couple of more tests, but I think I may have it solved. stay tuned...
frenchophile likes this.
post #351 of 360 (permalink) Old 2019-02-12, 10:06 AM
Rookie

tvmaster, Is everything back up and running for you?
post #352 of 360 (permalink) Old 2019-02-13, 05:39 PM

Looks like the 12-noon signal loss may be solved

I believe the Phillips is the problem. After Jan 21, anything plugged into 13v & 18v was problematic. When I swapped in my backup Aspen Eagle, this problem seemed to go away. If you look at the photos, there is a different frequency range between units. I wonder if Shaw did something, frequency wise, which caused a problem for the Phillips, or if the 13v & 18v dish connections just failed. The Phillips has been up, mostly untouched and working for maybe eight years?

post #353 of 360 (permalink) Old 2019-02-18, 04:00 PM

Cool Glad you got it fixed!

tvmaster,

That's an interesting outcome. A while back I too had some issues and ended up replacing my Phillips Multiswitch which was the same vintage / model as yours.

Check this thread: https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...please-15.html

I changed it to a Steren 201-747 4x8 Sky Switcher Multi-Switch after I couldn't find a Pico Macom TSMS-4/8 (Current Shaw standard).

It's Specifications:

Frequency Range: 950-2300 MHz
Noise Figure: 4.8 dB min
Cross Polar Isolation: 40 dB min
LNB to LNB Isolation: 35 dB min
Rec. to Rec. Isolation: 40 dB min
Control Voltage:
LNB A 13 V/0 kHz
LNB A 17 V/0 kHz
LNB B 13 V/22 kHz
LNB B 17 V/22 kHz
Power Supply Input: 24 Vdc
Receiver Power Input: 13/17 Vdc
Phase III Compatible

The Shaw standard is:

It's specs are pretty much the same. But neither of them fits your Eagle Aspen frequency range. ( 950-2300 MHz Vs. 54-2150 MHz for the Eagle Aspen).

In my situation, once I got the system back working I stopped monkeying around with it (of course!) and never went back to check the Phillips Multiswitch even though I had not fully determined if it was at fault (or the line losses were somehow just too much for it to overcome without the in-line amplifiers.) I also never spent the time to deduce which transponders were involved, or if (like you) the 13v & 18v connections were the problem. Maybe if I get ambitious I'll go back over the data and sort it out.

I didn't scrap the Phillips Multiswitches but suspect they may have contributed to the loss of signal.

What's scary about your problem was the issue was cyclitic and happened at virtually the same time every day. I'm just glad you seem to have it sorted.

Regards,
Jim
post #354 of 360 (permalink) Old 2019-02-18, 08:56 PM

So what do you think happens above 2150, satellites in play, transponders etc. At one point, I believe the Eagle Aspen WAS Shaw’s chosen multiswitch, wasn’t it?
post #355 of 360 (permalink) Old 2019-02-19, 02:29 AM

Don't get me wrong tvmaster, the Eagle Aspen was Shaw's chosen multiswitch but they've just moved on since then.

And it may not be for technical reasons as they'd have to change out thousands of working multiswitches. It's more likely it was cost driven, as most large firms will put major purchases like thousands of multiswitches out to bid against a specification. And typically low bid wins.

So while the new "standard" can utilize 950-2300 MHz, Shaw is probably only using a portion of the bandwidth. Say something like nothing below 1000 or above 2100 MHz. Then all of the multiswitches listed above will work just fine. I'm not familiar enough with the details to know what frequencies are being used from the LNB to the Receiver. I guess if I borrowed a scope I could figure it out, but someone here probably knows it already.

I'm just glad you have it sorted.

Regards,
Jim
post #356 of 360 (permalink) Old 2019-02-19, 12:16 PM

ok, thanks. We'll see if anyone with superior technical knowledge to ours chimes in and tells us the significance of the frequency differences...
post #357 of 360 (permalink) Old 2019-02-19, 10:36 PM

As long as the switch is good from 950-2150 MHz, you'll be fine. Shaw receivers will only tune within that range, and always less. For dual satellite LNBs (F1, F2), only 950-1450 MHz is used. My fuzzy recollection for the triple satellite LNBs (F1, G1, F2) is that 1052-2127 MHz is used for F1 & G1 and 950-1450 MHz for F2.

Frequencies below 950 MHz are often used for passing terrestrial TV (OTA) through a fifth input terminal. Other switches that work from 250-2150 MHz may have been designed for DirecTV in the States, because some of their LNB technology used that lower range. Anything above 2150 MHz is meaningless.

For all intents and purposes, a switch that supports a wider range than 950-2150 MHz should work just as well for Shaw as one that is restricted to that range.
frenchophile likes this.
post #358 of 360 (permalink) Old 2019-02-20, 12:29 AM

Excellent info, thanks for clearing all this up. Both these switches include a connection for OTA antennas, so that makes sense as well.
post #359 of 360 (permalink) Old 2019-04-19, 02:15 PM
Veteran

Kudos to Shaw Direct. Was losing the majority of SD feeds on an intermittent but regular basis. Called SD. There was virtually no wait time on the phone. Got a tech who was quick in troubleshooting. Got the system working again but it was temporary. He gave me a reference number for the call which is something I have never received before this. He figured the problem was the multiswitch and I suspected the same because I had the same problem previously many years before this.

Called again. It was a Thursday. She said she would send out a tech. I said if it was the multiswitch. I could swap it out myself but then it seemed like she would need to sell me one. So I said go ahead and send the tech. The first appointment was the coming Sunday (last week). Great. The tech calls me later to ask if he can come Saturday instead, even better. He shows up on time, comes in, no troubleshooting wasting of time, just replaces the switch, was here less than ten minutes and back in business.

My Eagele Aspen S-4180-GX+ (54-2150 MHz) was replaced with a Pico Macom TSMS-4/8 MN (950-2300 MHz).
frenchophile and k801809 like this.
post #360 of 360 (permalink) Old 2019-04-20, 01:02 AM

Glad to hear you got good service from Shaw Direct. Most folks only post to complain. Good stories are a refreshing change. Thanks.

Regards,
Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in