Multiswitch Discussions - Page 10 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #136 of 364 (permalink) Old 2011-06-04, 03:48 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by peternm22 View Post
QCK, what issues does the first one have? I really need an outdoor rated one so the second one will not work,

Jimsathome, I'm about an hour and half away from a Princess Auto. I tried searching their website but didn't find any multiswitches. Do you know anywhere online I can order it in Canada?

Thanks guys!
I figure you must be near the new Kamloops Princess Auto. Regardless just call them and ask if they've got one in stock.

You can read all about our Cabin install near Kamloops with the Phillips Multiswitch here:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=125300

As far as the discussion about powered or not, I did a lot of reasearch before concluding a powered unit provides a small amount of boost (~1.5 dB if I remember correctly to overcome insertion losses) while some unpowered units can actually degrade the signal strength.

If you plan to have the dish reasonably close to the switch, and your runs to the recievers relatively close as well, an unpowered unit maybe a good solution for you. I mounted the Box you see in the photo during reconstruction, and we have a wall plug less than a foot away on the inside wall. But powering is not a big deal as you can connect a piece of RG6 and run it as far as you need.

If you are going outside with your switch, I'd put it inside a weather proof Box. The photo you see was just a temporary mount. I'm going to post a more complete photo as I reworked the connections and made the cables tidy.

Regards,
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 364 (permalink) Old 2011-06-04, 07:56 AM
QCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsathome View Post
As far as the discussion about powered or not, I did a lot of reasearch before concluding a powered unit provides a small amount of boost (~1.5 dB if I remember correctly to overcome insertion losses) while some unpowered units can actually degrade the signal strength.

If you plan to have the dish reasonably close to the switch, and your runs to the recievers relatively close as well, an unpowered unit maybe a good solution for you.
Just FYI, I have two locations, one with a power switch and one without. The one without is using the WB68 switch with runs of over 150 feet. I did signal strength checks with the reciever right next to the dish and not using a switch for alginment, and compared that to the switch in place and the strength level was exactly the same. You can research all you want, but actually setting it up and seeing for yourself is the best way to see true results for your own setup. Another concern of mine was channel change speeds, and they were the same both ways as well. So there is no reason not to use the WB68 switch from my experience.
post #138 of 364 (permalink) Old 2011-06-04, 11:39 AM

I bit the bullet and ordered a WB68 off of Ebay a couple days ago, it's about $30 including the shipping.

I figured since the post office strike is just rotating right now, I should be pretty safe.

I'm planning to mount it under the sundeck (which is directly below the dish), so it should be dry as a bone there.

Thanks for the help everyone.

post #139 of 364 (permalink) Old 2011-06-04, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peternm22 View Post
I bit the bullet and ordered a WB68 off of Ebay a couple days ago, it's about $30 including the shipping.

I figured since the post office strike is just rotating right now, I should be pretty safe.

I'm planning to mount it under the sundeck (which is directly below the dish), so it should be dry as a bone there.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Please come back and advise how this switch works for you.

Regards,
Jim
post #140 of 364 (permalink) Old 2011-06-05, 03:17 PM
Rookie

I just checked the Princess Auto in SE Calgary. They have a 3x4 (3-in-4-out) multiswitch, but none of the 4X8, which is what we need for *C. Also, the Multiswitches they had were in the aisle marked "Surplus", so who knows it they will ever get any more stock.
post #141 of 364 (permalink) Old 2011-06-21, 01:29 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by eejake52 View Post
I just checked the Princess Auto in SE Calgary. They have a 3x4 (3-in-4-out) multiswitch, but none of the 4X8, which is what we need for *C. Also, the Multiswitches they had were in the aisle marked "Surplus", so who knows it they will ever get any more stock.
Check out eBay:

http://cgi.*********/NEW-DIRECTV-Eag...item3a67550490

Regards,
Jim
post #142 of 364 (permalink) Old 2011-07-11, 07:14 PM
Rookie

I have two 630's, and a 405, so I needed a Multiswitch. After some comparisons, I bought a Zinwell WB68 off e-Bay. It took a month to get here because of the postal strike, but the total price with shipping to BC was only $25. The unit is small enough that it ships in just a padded envelope. It was obviously used, but appeared in good shape physically. Installed today and it's working perfectly! I measured the signal strength & EBNO, before and after installation; the results were exactly the same, across the board. So far, I'm happy.

Jake
post #143 of 364 (permalink) Old 2011-08-08, 03:35 PM

I'm a new subscriber to Shaw Direct, and the install is coming up in a couple weeks. I've ordered one 630 and 3 600's. As a result of needing 5 lines in, they have already shipped a 4x8 multiswitch for free.

I read through this thread and I think I understand, but am hoping someone can just comfirm for me:
1) In order for multiswitch to work all 4 outputs from LNB have to be connected? I can't just put 3 in to create 6 out, and then use the final out from LNB on it's own?
2) Does multiswith need to be plugged in to work? Dumb question probably but just curious.

Reason I'm asking - Long story, but basically the way my house is wired, and where I'm locating my PVR, it's best to have one line on it's own into the house, and then 3 lines in another location into the house, with the multiswitch inside plugged in.

Is it possible to forget the 4x8 multiswitch, and just have a 1x2 switch on one of the lines? Is there even such a thing as a 1x2 switch??
post #144 of 364 (permalink) Old 2011-08-08, 03:46 PM

All 4 inputs to the lnb must be connected in order to get all 4 types of signals.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #145 of 364 (permalink) Old 2011-08-08, 03:46 PM

What you have, is a switch that will connect 4 inputs (from your dish LNB's) to distribute across 8 potential receivers.

The 4 inputs will connect to your two LNB's at the dish end as each LNB has two outputs... one for horizontal polarization and one for vertical polarization.

Yes, you will need power as this is not a passive device pulling power from a connected receiver.
post #146 of 364 (permalink) Old 2011-08-08, 04:11 PM

Thanks for that.

What about a 1x2 multiswitch? Is there such a thing that will work with shaw direct for just the one line?

If I understand you correctly I'm thinking not. also just to clarify then, if I eliminate the switch can I have 4 independant lines off the LNB (ie 4 receivers or 2 PVRs as example)? The way you describe it, it almost sounds like without a multiswitch I could only have 2 receivers independant of each other......but I might be reading you wrong.

Last edited by magnet; 2011-08-08 at 04:51 PM. Reason: removed unnecessary quoting
post #147 of 364 (permalink) Old 2011-08-08, 04:27 PM

No. There really is no such thing as a 1x2 switch. In a case like this, providing it is a circularly polarized LNB or a horizontal/vertical polarization LNB, you would plug each of the two receivers into one of the two outputs on the LNB. The voltage output of the receiver will determine the polarization of the signal the LNB will pass on to the receiver. This works fine for a single LNB dish system.

The reason you need a switch for more than two receivers and more than one LNB, is the electronics in the switch, relay the appropriate LNB signal to the appropriate receiver. Say one receiver wants a horizontally polarized signal from LNB A and a second receiver wants a vertically polarized signal from LNB B and a third receiver wants a vertically polarized signal from LNB A and so on... the switch sees the voltages and the lnb tone or digital tracing signal and routes the appropriate signal to the appropriate receiver accordingly.

The 4x8 switch allows two different LNB on a single dish to communicate with up to 8 receivers, independent of each other.
post #148 of 364 (permalink) Old 2011-08-08, 04:42 PM

Thanks. I get now that I need to have all 4 lines going into the 4x8 multiswitch in order for it to work. I also get now, that there is no such thing as a 1x2 switch.

but I still think you are saying that a switch of some kind is needed even I just want to run say 1 PVR and 2 non-PVR's. I don't think this is true (did I mention that I will have a Quad LNB - 4 lines out). I think I can run 1 PVR and 2 non-PVR's without the use of a switch. It's just cause I'm trying to run 1 PVR and 3 non-PVR's that I need the switch.

Can someone confirm I don't need a switch if I'm running 1 PVR and only 2 non-PVR's?

Last edited by magnet; 2011-08-08 at 04:50 PM. Reason: removed unnecessary quoting
post #149 of 364 (permalink) Old 2011-08-08, 04:50 PM

The PVR uses 2 lines, the non-pvr use one line each for a total of 4 lines- which does NOt require the multiswitch.

When it comes to humility, I am the greatest!
post #150 of 364 (permalink) Old 2011-08-08, 09:06 PM

If you wanted to remove one of your 600s, then you could do away with the mutil-switch. The four lines from the LNB would go directly to the receivers (2 for the 630 and 1 each for the 2 600s)

Bite the bullet. Get the muti-switch installed inside (basement) somewhere.

Now, you could still run the wiring you were hoping for. Run all 4 lines into the switch. The one that you wanted off on its own, just run an output from the switch back outside again and around to the side of the house you want then back inside again to your receiver. I did something similar to take advantage of a pre-existing install. You can run these lines quite a distance before you notice signal drop.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in