Ask Jim response to 530 update cancellation - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-07-06, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Ask Jim response to 530 update cancellation

After hearing that the 530 firmware update had been cancelled I sent an email to "Ask Jim" asking to confirm what had been reported here as well as any news about the 6XX series or ANY news about their PVR plans. I expressed my disappointment in the way SD has handled this and suggested they need to do a better job at communicating with their customers in a timely manner. This is the response I received after only 3 hours:

"Thank you for taking the time to email us at Shaw Direct and bring your concerns to our attention.

We’ve been working diligently to bring these features to the HDPVR 530 receiver. Ultimately, we have been unable to make the software perform to the standard that our customers expect and deserve. In light of the dynamic nature of the industry and unpredictability associated with software and hardware development we have chosen not to release the new software on the HDPVR 530.

Additionally, the HDPVR 530 currently has a feature set that our customers are familiar and comfortable with. Feedback from an extended Employee Field Trial of over 500 staff members has included consistent concerns about the “change” introduced by the new software, such as music channels being moved or the Browse Bar not being available anymore. In keeping with our vision of providing outstanding customer experiences, we have chosen not to fundamentally change the viewing experience of customers who may not want the change.

We are scheduled for an update regarding the new information for the upcoming PVR 630’s by the end of next week. With this announcement we will be able to provide more information regarding the release date and specifications.

Should you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us. Please include any previous correspondence with your replies.

Thank you for choosing Shaw Direct,
Ross – on behalf of Jim Cummins
Business Support - Ask Jim
Shaw Direct - Shaw Communications Inc.
24/7 Customer Care - 1-888-554-7827"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-07-06, 09:07 AM
Veteran

So there you have it. The firmware upgrade for the 530 will never happen.
post #3 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-07-06, 09:10 AM

Translation:

Thank you for staying with us even though we failed to deliver what we promised for the last 3 years.

If only we had followed this forum, we would have known 3 years ago that the 530 hardware SUCKED and could not possibly do what we advertised. It would have potentially saved us:

6500 lost customers
80,000 potential customers might not have been lost due to 530 subs accurately describing SD failures and shortcomings
$25,600 to FEDEX for shipping charges of replacement 530s
$876,000 in wages paid to SD employees trying to make it do what it couldn't possibly do

Hey - we're not perfect - but we haven't raised any new carrots for the last 12 months, which is a major advancement for us

I'm not washed up yet

post #4 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-07-06, 09:33 AM
Veteran

I'm my latest bill, there is a note from Jim indicating that the new PVR will come out later this summer. It also talks about the 3rd satellite in 2012 and that there will be dozens of channels added before the satellite launch.

I'm assuming that since they are launching the DSR630 (and probably DSR605) shortly, most HD channels will probably be making the switch to MPEG-4 at some point. Mostly likeley in 2011.

I'll probably get a DSR605 if they come out at the same time. I'll probably hold off on the DSR630 until I see reports that it ACTUALLY WORKS!
post #5 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-07-06, 11:38 AM

All they ever needed to do was make dual recording a reality. I'll be getting the upgraded 605 and 630 only if there is a deep discount. Chances are I'll just spend the money on upgrading my BUD.
post #6 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-07-06, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigoranget View Post
I'm my latest bill, there is a note from Jim indicating that the new PVR will come out later this summer. It also talks about the 3rd satellite in 2012 and that there will be dozens of channels added before the satellite launch.

I'm assuming that since they are launching the DSR630 (and probably DSR605) shortly, most HD channels will probably be making the switch to MPEG-4 at some point. Mostly likeley in 2011.

I'll probably get a DSR605 if they come out at the same time. I'll probably hold off on the DSR630 until I see reports that it ACTUALLY WORKS!
All I got was a note about the HST increase. The smart thing for SD would to either offer these at a deep discount or maybe take BEV and other providers lead and rent the receivers so you are not investing tons of money for a hunk of junk. But when has SD ever listened to their customers?
post #7 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-07-06, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnybrook View Post
we haven't raised any new carrots for the last 12 months, which is a major advancement for us
Uuhhh, not quite. I think it was last September or October that the software upgrades were being talked up on one of the Info channels on the guide.

Last edited by ae_collector; 2010-07-07 at 12:34 AM. Reason: typo
post #8 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-07-07, 09:34 AM

What a load of crap. They aren't changing it because they don't think 530 owners will want features to change? That's some excuse.

I get that the machine cannot handle true dual record. Fine.
I get that a searchable guide can't happen. Fine.
I get that series record and other PVR functions are too much for it. Fine.

But your telling me that we can't even have a 7 day guide?
They can't even manage that?

They couldn't make the big monster code encompassing every function ever promised work so they abandon updates completely for the 530?

No one thought that perhaps some additional features may appease (somewhat) those of us that hunger for a true PVR, yet not confuse those subscribers who think their television remote is a scary thing?

I'm disgusted.

ATV3 / Unblock-US / Netflix / HuluPlus / Samsung LNT3242H
post #9 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-07-07, 05:36 PM

That is my thoughts too. SOme of the promised features must be do-able since they technically have all of them working and being tested by SD employees.

Determine what can and what can't be done and at least we will be reasonably happy. If they do nothing for us then they should replace all of our 505's and 530's at no charge. Then they can refurbish the 505's that are traded in and use them as upgrades for people on legacy stuff that need a receiver that does 8PSK.
post #10 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-07-07, 06:09 PM
Veteran

From what I understand dual recording didn't work, somewhat worked, worked quite well then took a step backwards...
The extended ipg was very slow to download (the blast wasn't when the working), but they got it sorted out...but series record was a mess.
I think search was working as was the removal of non subscribed channel.

I don't know what ever happened to the mosaic, not that it's much of a feaure anyway.
post #11 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-07-07, 09:22 PM

I for one have achieved dual recording. I have 2 DSR530 stacked up!
post #12 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-07-07, 09:41 PM

Quote:
We’ve been working diligently to bring these features to the HDPVR 530 receiver.
B.S. SD knew 14 months ago the upgrade would never work. Post #166.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...=95743&page=12
post #13 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-07-07, 11:19 PM

Yeah, you nailed it Mike P.

They obviously thought that they had overcome the problems when they put the new software "Coming Soon" on an info channel, but ultimately your source was 100% correct. Others on here also speculated that the processors in the 530 just weren't capable of this as well.
post #14 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-07-07, 11:51 PM
Rookie

What now?

Bunch of lyers, period! Don't know how long I will stay with them
post #15 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-07-08, 12:02 AM
Veteran

Wait for the 630. I am personally looking forward to a whole new receiver with HDMI and dual recording. Lets face facts. The 530 is several years old. It still works fine for what it was intended to do.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in