Ask Jim response to 530 update cancellation - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-07-09, 11:13 AM

You were curious, so I'll tell you. A PVR is not meant to just record something. Hence the Personal part of the name. It's meant to make recording television a personal and intuitive experience.

ShawDirect didn't invent the PVR. PVRs existed and they boasted certain functions -- like searchable guides and series based recording not to mention recording two shows at once.

I expected these things from the 530 because I was told by the salespeople that the 530 would do these things when I bought it. It was supposed to record two things at once from the get-go -- this was not true, though they rely on the fact that it does temporarily record one thing while recording another so they could say they didn't lie exactly. They did mislead.

I was told that a firmware upgrade that would come shortly after I bought the 530 would bring the PVR functions I desired (searchable guide, series record, etc). This has never happened. This was a lie.

I get that some people just want to press a button and record and that's it. Nice for you. You're probably in the majority and the reason why ShawDirect isn't worried about scrapping this upgrade.

I happen to not want to spend hours searching through guides (2.8 days at a time) looking for my shows then adjusting timers to record said shows weekly. Then constantly being on the alert for my shows being moved around or extra time added to it.

I want the ability to record a series, have it record automatically whenever it's on -- then I want to know when something is a repeat or a new episode. And when I look at my list of recorded programming I want to see the show, episode number and title and proper information. I also want this in a neat and organized series of menus for ease of use.

These are the things a PVR is supposed to do. These are things that every other provider's PVRs do, and have done for years.

And more importantly -- these are things we were all told the 530 would do when they released the screen shots of the upgrade on their website years ago. They can pretend they didn't promise it, but they did.

ATV3 / Unblock-US / Netflix / HuluPlus / Samsung LNT3242H
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-07-09, 12:41 PM
Rookie

So are the DSR 605 boxes probably going to be sold for $199.99 does anyone know? I would like to go out and get a New PVR as soon as they come out (Whenever that will be) but given the past PVR and its problems, I dont think I am going too. I usually like to get technology as soon as it comes out, but think this one i'm gonna hold off and see what happends with the new PVR. I will maybe purchase the HD Box though. Has anyone heard if the DSR 605 will be able to become a PVR?

Thanks.
post #33 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-07-09, 01:47 PM

Cool

Gents,

A bit earlier on in this thread someone mentioned a new Sat coming on line for SD. If that is so (sorry I'm such a newbie) wouldn't another Dish/LNB configuration be required to catch all 3 Birds?

The reason I'm asking is I'm trying to see if I can get SD at a tough location

(think Mountains)
Code:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=125300&goto=newpost
If a new configuration is required I only want to install the right system the first time.

Thanks for the info.

post #34 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-07-09, 02:21 PM

I think all of this is so funny. If the "upgrade" to a 630 is more than $150 then I will say goodbye to shaw direct after being with them since they launched.

I currently have 2 530s, 3 505s and a 500. I will not be paying $399 x 2 and $199 x 3 to stay with them....the most recent rogers offer is looking better and better.

The one thing that will definitely push me over the edge is if SD chooses not to offer NFL Sunday Ticket in HD. i've already asked them and they "don't have an answer yet".
post #35 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-07-09, 02:41 PM
QCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsathome View Post
Gents,

A bit earlier on in this thread someone mentioned a new Sat coming on line for SD. If that is so (sorry I'm such a newbie) wouldn't another Dish/LNB configuration be required to catch all 3 Birds?
The new satellite will be positioned at the same location as F2 is now which is 111.1W. The frequency that the satellite will transmit at will be different. Thus, you will not need to change the dish, but the LNB head will need to be exchanged to allow you to receive the Extended Ku band frequency that will be sent from the new satellite.
post #36 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-07-09, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCK View Post
The new satellite will be positioned at the same location as F2 is now which is 111.1W. The frequency that the satellite will transmit at will be different. Thus, you will not need to change the dish, but the LNB head will need to be exchanged to allow you to receive the Extended Ku band frequency that will be sent from the new satellite.
QCK,

Thanks. I guess I should wait until the dust settles before going forward with SD.
post #37 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-07-09, 06:03 PM
QCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsathome View Post
QCK,

Thanks. I guess I should wait until the dust settles before going forward with SD.
You're welcome, it is no big deal, just in 2012 the LNB head will need to be swapped out (very simple proceedure). If you can receive good quality signal from 107.3W and 111.1W now you will be fine when they add the Extended Ku satellite in 2012.
post #38 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-07-10, 09:24 AM

G1 is the new satellite which will go to 107.3. If more bandwidth is required, G2 will be ordered and placed at 111.1.

Regardless, no dish repointing will be required - just a LNBF swapout.

Only customers with 605/630 will be able to receive programming on the G series satellites.
post #39 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-07-10, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

I guess I should have realized that the 530 upgrade was never going to happen back in March when I complained to SD about the delay and I was offered $20 per month off for the next year.
post #40 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-07-11, 10:30 AM
Veteran

G1/G2 will have a slightly lower frequency. You may need to upgrade to a larger dish, if not just an LNBF upgrade, especially if they go 8PSK/DVB-S2 with the channels on those satellites.

The 605 supposedly has a plug-in DVR feature, where you can plug in a USB or eSATA HDD to make it into a DVR.
post #41 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-07-12, 12:49 AM

Quote:
8PSK/DVB-S2
yes 8psk dvb s 2 signal is generally weaker than standard one
so i expect that bigger dishes will be needed surely
post #42 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-07-12, 10:43 AM

Downlink frequencies:

Ku band broadcast satellites (FSS) - 11.7 to 12.2 Ghz
DBS band - 12.2 to 12.7
Extended Ku - 13.75 to 14.25
Super Extended Ku - 13.75 to 14.5
Ka band - 26 to 40 (DirecTV & ka band internet)
post #43 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-07-13, 10:15 AM
Veteran

What G1/G2 will use (from what I read), will be a 250 Mhz band below the standard FSS band Shaw Direct now uses. Hence one liekly needs a larger dish.
post #44 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-07-13, 11:19 AM

Quote:
the LNB head will need to be swapped out (very simple proceedure)
Quote:
Hence one liekly needs a larger dish
Once the G-satellites are operational, for those of us who are content with the DSR-319, will life go on as it always has using the current dish/LNB configuration?

If so, until when.......?
post #45 of 110 (permalink) Old 2010-07-13, 11:45 AM

Thumbs down

I am very dissapointed, but not surprised after all this time. I'm not likely to leave SD since I only have 3 options where I live.

SD
4 OTA channels (non-starter)
Bell (been there and done that, never again (maybe))

I only pray the 630 does what it is supposed to do, even though at this point we don't really know what it is supposed to do.

I have been sitting back and being very patient, giving SD the benefit of the doubt, but I am not happy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in