Tough installation - Location - Help PLease - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #106 of 245 (permalink) Old 2010-09-21, 10:01 AM
Veteran

It is really not the channel itself that s being measured for th EbNo, but the transponder as a whole. For now, all HD channels and some SD channels (such as 298), use 8PSK, wich will report a lower EbNo than from a OQPSK trasnponder.

You do not need to be subscribed to a channel to check the signal or EbNo on its transponder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of 245 (permalink) Old 2010-09-21, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuals View Post
That is interesting!

From Arizona, your other numbers look great! It would be ineteresting to know how, however, they compare with other subscribers in your area.

Heck...after all you've gone through to get this up and running, he should have been willing to work in the rain.....
Yes here in Metro Vancouver these numbers do look good => especially because I haven't really tweaked the dish, but the real test will be to get this level of signal (or better) when permanently installed at the Lake.

He does have Cable TV so this is probably seen as something extra. He's got so much to do that's more fun when the weather is good, that this got to the back burner, and then the weather turned. Besides, digging by yourself in the rain is not too enjoyable.

Regards,
Jim
post #108 of 245 (permalink) Old 2010-09-25, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

Cool

Team,

I made a couple calls today. The first one was to the neighbor who wants Sat TV as well. (He has the Transit and helped check out where to put the Pole.) He's going to "push" my brother in law tomorrow (weather permitting) to get the pole up.

They found a huge cement block just under the soil a few feet west of where we had the temporary dish set up last month. I looks like it was poured over a huge boulder and is solid (as a Rock ). It was probably from an old dock that was nearby years ago that was removed as if the owner didn't pay the permit fee.

The Dish should look even more "into the saddle" of the mountain and further away from the trees that interfere with the other neighbors circular Starchoice Dish. That way no one could complain we are disturbing the land by pouring concrete. My Brother in law is going to drill into the block and install decent anchors to hold the pole.

The neighbor with the Starchoice Dish said we could use his conduit to go under the road so we don't have to dig that up and impede traffic. So we'll dig a long trench 6 inches wide along the road for the cables (in plastic pipe). My brother in law is trying to get a trenching machine that supposedly would dig the whole thing out in less than an hour. Anyway, I'm keeping my fingers crossed it all gets done soon so I can go up and do the install of all the apparatus.

I also called Lake Cable

http://www.lakecable.ca

to make sure the frequencies their TV and Internet (someday) run at won't interfere with the Sat signals (They don't) I also asked the status of getting high speed internet to our end of the lake. They already have 30 or so Customers at the other end with High Speed, and just need to cross under a road and pull optical cable over to our side and connect it. They got the "mole" stuck digging the hole in March and haven't got it out all year. Anyway the Tech -Gary - called me back today and said no progress had been made (He's been pushing his boss for months to okay the work) and he just figured out why. Lake Cable was sold. He doesn't know who to => but they were sold and he figured his boss didn't want to spend any more than he had too with the pending sale. Sounds like High Speed is still ages away.

Ugh Progress...

Regards,
Jim

post #109 of 245 (permalink) Old 2010-09-25, 10:01 AM

run an extra cable or 2 as backup. Friend of mine built a new house. Dish was about 100 feet from house, buried, had 4 lines into a mutilswitch. One of the 4 lines wend bad somewhere in the trench. Had to dig it all up and lay a new line.
post #110 of 245 (permalink) Old 2010-09-28, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat View Post
It is really not the channel itself that s being measured for th EbNo, but the transponder as a whole. For now, all HD channels and some SD channels (such as 298), use 8PSK, wich will report a lower EbNo than from a OQPSK trasnponder.

You do not need to be subscribed to a channel to check the signal or EbNo on its transponder.
Does the logic joshuals described change at all for fine tuning the dish? Are the values the same ?

Thanks for the assist.

Regards,
Jim
post #111 of 245 (permalink) Old 2010-09-30, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tico View Post
You shouldn't need to heat shrink them unless you have an outdoor or buried splice - but some dielectric grease is a good idea.
tico,

I'm going to heat shrink all outdoor connections. If all goes to plan each feed from the LNB to the multiswitch will be one continous cable with no splices.

I can't seem to figure out where to buy any dielectric grease. I used to use some really good silicone based stuff ages ago rebuilding air blast breakers, but I don't have any left. Can you advise a supplier?

Thanks.

Regards,
Jim
post #112 of 245 (permalink) Old 2010-10-01, 12:15 PM
Rookie

Try your local Harley shop - p/n 99861-02. Here is a link to HD Canada where you can enter the part number.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...d.hd!7005!8005

You might also try The Source - they might have some left over Radio Shack stock and this was a normal RS item.

Finally, if you have a Princess Auto, they frequently carry it as well.
post #113 of 245 (permalink) Old 2010-10-01, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgoodchild View Post
Try your local Harley shop - p/n 99861-02. Here is a link to HD Canada where you can enter the part number.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...d.hd!7005!8005

You might also try The Source - they might have some left over Radio Shack stock and this was a normal RS item.

Finally, if you have a Princess Auto, they frequently carry it as well.
I did check both my local Source and Princess Auto stores with no luck.

Thanks for the link. This is Electrical Contact Lubricant. I can't tell for sure, but it seems conductive based on the name. Are you certain it's non-conductive? I thought tico has suggested dielectric grease. Here's a description of it from wisegeeks:

"Dielectric grease is a non-conductive, silicone grease designed to seal out moisture and, therefore, prevent corrosion on electrical connectors. Being non-conductive, it does not enhance the flow of electrical current. This property makes it an ideal lubricant and sealant for the rubber portions of electrical connectors.

Dielectric grease is typically a translucent, grey substance that is insoluble in substances such as ethanol, methanol, mineral oil, and water. It is soluble, however, in the industrial solvent methyl ethyl ketone (MEK) and mineral spirit. It is important to note that dielectric grease will melt silicone rubber over time, and thus should not be used on connectors, such as o-rings, that are made of this rubber.

While the indicated use of dielectric grease calls for it to be used only on the non-metal parts of a connection, it has been shown to be effective at preventing corrosion when applied directly to the metal connectors as well. Care should be taken when using it in this way, because this application can, in some instances, cause the connection to stop working. A common reason for such a failure is that the grease has not been pushed entirely out of the way between the two points of contact.

Dielectric grease is most widely used as a sealant for spark plugs, and is applied to the rubber boot of the plug wire. The grease not only helps the boot slide onto the ceramic portion of the plug, but prevents dirt, moisture, sand, and other foreign objects from contaminating the seal, and compromising the electrical current. Dielectric grease is also commonly used on the gaskets of multi-pin connectors in car and marine engines.

It can withstand high temperatures, making it an ideal substance for use in engine compartments and other similar locations. Most standard brands of dielectric grease are rated to 392° F (200° C), and many can operate at up to 500° F (260° C). A typical tube of grease generally sells for around $5 US Dollars (USD) per .33 ounce (9.4 gram) tube.

Aside from sealing spark plugs, dielectric grease is often used to lubricate other engine-related parts, such as rotors, distributor caps, and speedometer cables. It is also employed in many other situations where electrical connections may be exposed to moisture and dirt. These can include outdoor lights, satellite television installations, trailer hitches, and battery terminals."

(Bolding is mine.)

Regards,
Jim
post #114 of 245 (permalink) Old 2010-10-17, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Cool

Folks,

Time for a little update.

The Neighbor and Brother in Law seem to have become unmotivated since my last trip (47 days ago - dam that's almost 7 weeks!). I've prodded them from time to time via email, and phone, but it seems mounting the pole and digging the 200 foot trench never make it to the top of the "do it" pile. Even though both are not working, and the weather must of been good for at least half the time...

It may also have de-motivated them when Shaw bought the local Cable company (Lake Cable) a few weeks back. Maybe they hope Shaw will improve the services enough, and make the ShawDirect work an unnessessary hassel.

But I haven't given up! I"ve gotten the shrink tubing for the exterior connections (but no grease), and 4 Phillips SDW5005GN In Line Satellite amplifiers (just in case)

and 4 Phillips SDW5004/17 Digital Satellite Diplexers

As I'm using a Phillips Multiswitch I decided to use all Phillips gear where applicable.

It's now dropping below freezing at Paul Lake at night now. I've got to go up there and prep the Boats, Dock, and Cabin for Winter. (There is another little issue with a malfuctioning Thermostat that cranked the heat on Full in the living room so the Utility Bill was $170 for last month => when no one was there.) So I'm going up again on Monday.

I don't know if I can get the pole up and cable trench dug as I'm going to Mexico next Saturday for my niece's wedding in Puerto Vallarta so I can't stay all week. Besides we really don't use the Cabin much at all in the Winter => maybe a little ski trip => and the Shaw (Lake) Cable is still working... Maybe I should wait until spring...

This Thread sounds like such a wasted effort then...

I'm going to Bed before I get depressed!

Regards,
Jim
post #115 of 245 (permalink) Old 2010-10-28, 01:35 PM

I've been away for a while. The grease can be obtained at Canadian Tire ("Tune-up Grease" I think). It is used to grease ignition components to seal out moisture and prevent deterioration.
post #116 of 245 (permalink) Old 2010-11-01, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Folks,

I'm back from Mexico for my niece's wedding in Puerto Vallarta. It was Great!

I did go to the Cabin the week prior and got talked into bringing the Dish and reciever up there to encourage my brother in law (BIL) to do his part, by the neighbor there who helped me before and wants to go to ShawDirect as well. (If it works!)

So tearing down the install at my house in a rush prior to leaving wrenched my back, so I was in pain the whole time there and worse => in Mexico. Thankfully I got some medication to ease it up a bit.

Anyway, enough of my medical issues and onto this project update.

I got there and as expected nothing had been done. The neighbor decided we (him and I - as the brother in law -BIL- is working dawn to dusk) should get the pole up so he went to Kamloops and brought back a 12 foot 4 inch galvanised steel pole ($15 at the scrap metal dealer). The next day I was to weld mounting plates on it using the BIL's welding machine. The BIL had advised he was going to drill into an old dock concrete footing that was near the existing dish but I didn't like it so near the Lake and it was undercut by erosion somewhat. I decided to go with a hole filled with concrete. So I dug a hole about 3 feet down. (see photo for location) The neghbor had to go to town on other buisness the next day so I welded up the mounting plate and stuck it loosely into the hole. While there I noticed a concrete pumper truck parked less than 150 feet away. I chatted them up and eventually got a wheelbarrow full of redimix => just enough to fill the hole I dug.

The neighbor was so impressed he decided we could dig the trench with a trenching machine so he went off to rent one in the morning. He said it would only take us a couple hours tops to dig it out with it. We were going for a 4 inch wide a foot deep but it wandered up to about 6 inches and down to 1.5 feet. (It took about 6 Hours with all the rocks and hand digging!)

So the next day he returned the trencher and I started laying out the conduit and pull rope. He got lots of 1 1/2" plastic water pipe (used from a buddy in the well business) so we used it. We also connected into the existing conduit that ran under the road to the existing dish.

Here are some photos:

Here the trench goes righ beside the Cabin:

Here beside the Road. => Note the pull rope and the Rocks.

Regards,
Jim
post #117 of 245 (permalink) Old 2010-11-01, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Here's another photo of the Pipe and Dish. (Note the abandoned concrete footing to the lower left in front of the tree near the water. )

I had to leave on Thursday so we worked as hard as we could, into the night. We go most of the conduit laid out and installed (except near the dish which the neighbor was going to finish. I decided to pull the Cables in one at a time and always have a second rope in the pipe - just in case. We pulled the first one in without issue. The second one went it fine but that was it for the Cable. My BIL was supposed to get over 1320 feet of cable but the box he got had only 710 feet! Dam! (We checked the cable markings and it takes about 355 feet per run with lots of slack.) So the other two runs would have to wait until another time.

I terminated the cables and connected to the reciever inside the Cabin. It worked great! It only tested it for less than 5 minutes (various Channels) as it was 7 pm and I still had to pack up and leave to drive the 300 Km back to Vancouver.

The neighbor was going to tidy the install up and possibly connect it to an extension to run to his place to test it. I'll check and see how he did and post again.

Regards,
Jim
post #118 of 245 (permalink) Old 2010-11-01, 10:20 PM

I just love this thread

It's like having another channel to tune in everyday
post #119 of 245 (permalink) Old 2010-11-02, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp01 View Post
I just love this thread

It's like having another channel to tune in everyday
Smp01, Glad to provide your entertainment. Now back to issues at hand...

The neighbor added ~272 feet of RG6 Dual Shield cable (a portion of the test cable used before) to the end of one of the feeds from the Dish at the Cabin (~350 feet away) and connected the other end to the input at his house. (see earlier post & photo).

He got no signal at the reciever so he used a short piece of poor old (pink) cable he had lying about (sad) to install a new Phillips SDW5005GN In Line Satellite amplifier (I left him) at the Dish. Still no joy He said he got it connected correctly but I'm somehow doubtful.

According to Oksat (post link below), this 625 feet run is well below some he discussed here using an inline booster / amplifier:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/show...ter#post705584

So I think it should work fine if connected properly. Acutually I thought the final setup (with the Multiswitch) would provide enough gain to overcome his 272 foot run.

Do any of the experts here have any comment? Is there an issue using the Phillips SDW5005GN ?

Thanks for the assist.

Regards,
Jim
post #120 of 245 (permalink) Old 2010-11-02, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tico View Post
I've been away for a while. The grease can be obtained at Canadian Tire ("Tune-up Grease" I think). It is used to grease ignition components to seal out moisture and prevent deterioration.
Thanks Tico, I'll check it out.

Regards,
Jim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in