Tough installation - Location - Help PLease - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #31 of 290 (permalink) Old 2010-06-15, 09:28 PM

I originally calculated in my timezone (Montreal). I subtracted 3 hours to get pacific time. If you look at the time of your last post, it was 19:33 (my time) - if that is three hours to your time, you are good to go with my original numbers. I'm just worried that the moon won't actually be visible at that time due to the brightness of the sun a little ahead of it - I couldn't see the moon here today at about the same relative times (three hours earlier).

You say no internet, but how about a computer? Check out www dot stellarium dot org. It's free. Get the software to take with you and track the moon, planets, constellations, galaxies, from anywhere on earth, in real time, future, past -- whatever. If the moon isn't visible, this little software shows some bright stars that would be hard to miss at exactly the right elevation and azimuth. I just can't describe it to you.

*edit* - just spotted the moon here (near sunset) and the bugger is a crescent - no wonder it was so hard to see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 290 (permalink) Old 2010-06-18, 03:11 AM Thread Starter

Cool

tico & all,

I'm at the Cabin on (ugh) Dial up. I will try to see if I can see the Moon tomorrow afternoon but it's cloudy here .

I walked down and checked out my neighbor's Starchoice dish ( I took a photo just for grins). It's looks like an almost circular dish, with a single LNB with 2 outputs (both connected) mounted on top of a 10 foot pole.

Hopefully I'll see the moon from in front of the Cabin and we'll put up our own dish. Wish me Luck!
post #33 of 290 (permalink) Old 2010-06-19, 02:24 PM

Maybe by offering to upgrade his dish to an elliptical dual look, he will share the other LNB spigots.

The assumes you cannot get a sweet spot and from his pole, the other satellite is visible.

post #34 of 290 (permalink) Old 2010-06-21, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Gents,

The weather did not cooperate

I postponed my departure Saturday (to make it home for Father's Day) so I could try to see the moon. But after being sunny and warm in the early afternoon (about 22 degrees C => some fool was actually swimming in the lake - not 100% crazy as it looked like he had a wet suit on), it turned ugly about 3:30. Dark Clouds rolled in and we got a Thunderstorm a bit after 4 pm. It was no use in staying in the pouring rain any longer so we left at 5:15 or so.

I never talked to the neighbor about his Dish as I was really hoping to have our own system much closer to the Cabin. (Besides he was pulling his engine off his Ski Boat, and took the Boat away to get a new one. He wasn't around after that.)

So now I'll have to wait for another opportunity.

By copy to Tico, can you advise how close the moon's position will be this week as my Sister-in-law & Nephew are going up Wednesday, and I could get them to check it out.

Thanks for the assist.
post #35 of 290 (permalink) Old 2010-06-21, 04:34 PM

Targets (satellites):
101 deg = 163.6 T @ 30.6 Elevation
111.1 deg = 168.4 T @ 31.3 Elevation

Moon elevations and azimuths for selected days in upcoming weeks, all time is in Montreal local time, I think this means EDT. Subtract 3 hours for pacific time - as a second validation, your sunset should be around 21:20 (0:20 Montreal time).

June [email protected] 0 :15 approx : 178deg T @ 27.5 deg elevation
June 23 @1 :11 approx : 179deg T @ 16 deg elevation
June 24 @2 :07 approx : 180deg T @ 14 deg elevation
June 29 @ 5:19 approx 164deg T @ 22 deg elevation
June 30 @6 :05 approx 164degT @26.5 deg elevation

July 1 @ 6 :30 approx 158degT @ 30.5 deg elevation
July 1 @ 6 :50 approx 164degT @ 31.5 deg elevation
July 1 @ 7:10 approx 170degT @ 32.25 elevation

The moon is declining in elevation right now, kind of below useful levels - (see June 22 to June 24 numbers). On the 29 of June it starts to become interesting again, July 1st is the absolute best viewing day - (or night, it'll be at 3:30 to 4:10 in the morning there). Kind of out there in the future, but maybe it'll fit someone's schedule.

I still like the sextant idea - making a big one for ultimate in accuracy. If you get impatient, you'll need to figure out something other than the moon.
post #36 of 290 (permalink) Old 2010-07-09, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Cool

tico,

Thanks for the info but at the end of the day my Sister-In-Law did not make it there.

But my Mom is going there next week, and my Brother and his family are due there fore their annual (20+ years in a row) the last week of July / first week of August.

Could I trouble you (again) to check out the Moon's location during this period? I know using a sextant & compass would be more accurrate, but just looking for the moon at a specific time is so "clean" as it requires no tools, expertise, etc. It gives a yes /no result before I try to refine it further if it's positive.

Thanks for the assist.
post #37 of 290 (permalink) Old 2010-07-12, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Cool

Tico,

They are going up Wednesday or Thursday this week. Any chance of new data by then?

Thanks for the assist.
post #38 of 290 (permalink) Old 2010-07-12, 02:45 PM

Hey there Jimsathome,

Might not be ideal because of the daylight viewing hours - Wednesday is not really useful - too close to the sun, and too high in the sky. Here are some numbers for Thursday - a little high, but you should be able to figure it out if you have a constant view of it during this time. The first number is close to the elevation, but too far east, the middle number is close to the proper azimuth, but a little too high. The last number is past the useful azimuth, and even a bit higher.

On Friday there is a pretty good azimuth/elevation combo and it's even a bit low so you know if you see that you've got it for sure.

Thursday, July 15:

18:00 Montreal Time (15:00 BC Time) - moon at 148 Deg @ 33 deg elevation.
19:00 Montreal Time (16:00 BC Time) - moon at 165 Deg @ 36 deg elevation.
19:14 Montreal Time (16:14 BC Time) - moon at 170 Deg @ 37 deg elevation.

Friday July 16:

19:30 Montreal Time - Moon at 161 deg @ 30 Deg elevation
post #39 of 290 (permalink) Old 2010-07-12, 02:54 PM

I just tried looking at the moon here, its a little east of the sun right now, but man, the sun is too bright and there is no moon reflection. Hopefully that'll improve by Thursday and you will see it at the proper time.

I checked a little in the future and the moon starts to become interesting again on the 27th or 28th (and at night). If you are ambitious and there, Jupiter is also looking like a good indicator from the 25th or so on through the 28th.

*Edit, I just re-read your post and noticed that the end of July is maybe interesting to you. I'll get some numbers on those for you and post them here. In the meantime, you have this week's stuff.
post #40 of 290 (permalink) Old 2010-07-12, 03:11 PM

Here, end of July - starting with useful data (on about the 28th) up to where it becomes useless again (Aug 1st - elevation way too high). I threw one Jupiter in there on the 31st - might be useful, even if a bit too high in elevation.

ALL TIMES ARE MONTREAL (Subtract 3 for BC)

July 28:
04:50 165deg @ 29.75 deg
05:10 170deg @ 30.5 deg

July 29:
05:25 162deg @ 33 deg
05:45 168deg @ 35.5 deg

July 30:
06:00 159.5 deg @ 39 deg
06:33 170 deg @ 41 deg

July 31:
07:00 164.5 deg @ 45 deg + Jupiter 167deg @ 38 deg

Aug 1:
07:47 165 deg @ 50 deg

After that, you will be SOL for the moon until near the end of August - (around the 24th or so), but Jupiter will pass close every night for pretty much the whole month of August. After that, the sun will start getting close near the end of Sept through to Mid to Late October.

PS. I never checked the phase of the moon on any of these dates - I hope that they it is not crescent on the good dates.
PPS. I saw your posts in another thread regarding the new bird...It'll be in the same orbital slot so no worries here on the install side of things...
post #41 of 290 (permalink) Old 2010-07-15, 02:41 AM Thread Starter

Cool

Gents,

My Mom went up today so I emailed her the numbers for this week.

I also calculated the angle Harper Mountain has in this area from a photo I took of the neighbors Dish. (It's probably only 10 feet to the top of the dish.)

Check it out here:

post #42 of 290 (permalink) Old 2010-07-15, 11:31 PM

Nice pic.
Draw a line across the plane of the face of the dish.
Then from the LNB to the centre of the dish.
The satellite will be above the centre perpendicular at the SAME angle as the lower line from LNB to centre you drew.
They are called offset dishes rather than prime focus.
The bird is deceiving mugh higher in the sky than the plave of the dish might indicate.

Judging by your pic, looks like you have plenty of clearance.
post #43 of 290 (permalink) Old 2010-07-16, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose57 View Post
Nice pic.
Draw a line across the plane of the face of the dish.
Then from the LNB to the centre of the dish.
The satellite will be above the centre perpendicular at the SAME angle as the lower line from LNB to centre you drew.
They are called offset dishes rather than prime focus.
The bird is deceiving mugh higher in the sky than the plave of the dish might indicate.

Judging by your pic, looks like you have plenty of clearance.
Moose,

Thanks for the input. Below is an attempt to mark up a similar photo as you described. (The Blue Arrow with the red dashes points to the Bird.) Notice the Pole used to support thte Dish assembly is really not close to vertical. I remember it looked a couple degrees off in each plane when I took the photos, and I checked it again against the lake level in the photo. So the vectors drawn would be off by a similar amount when transposed unless my Pole turns out to be off just the same Also, as I mentioned before the terrain in the 300 Feet I see behind our Cabin is quite a bit higher than this neighbor sees.

Tico, I called my Mom tonight and she said there was a cloud over Harper Mountain today () and now she is concerned the sun is so bright when it's not cloudy she may not see the moon. Perhaps the moon would be in position later at night (10 PM ish?) in August...

I'm thinking I might make a sextant @ 31° and use a compass for Azimuth (magn.): 148.5° and check it out when I go in August.

post #44 of 290 (permalink) Old 2010-07-16, 03:01 PM

The markup looks good, I made a similar drawing but couldn't post the attachment - seems like moose was able to put it into words effectively though. I agree about looking like lots of clearance. The pole might not be required at all, unless there is a tree or something close to the dish.

Like I indicated in my previous posts, the moon is useless to you until the end of August. The best one would've been July 1 - at night, and right on the elevation/azimuth target. Unless you want to try and identify Jupiter in the night sky you will have to substitute a different method or wait for the moon - or wait until September/October for the sun.
post #45 of 290 (permalink) Old 2010-08-13, 10:11 AM

Hey Jimsathome,

Any updates? Getting close to Moon and/or Sun opportunities now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in