Tough installation - Location - Help PLease - Page 17 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #241 of 272 (permalink) Old 2019-06-03, 10:22 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
@Jimsathome : See also the last few posts in the following thread which already exists on the topic, especially the following post:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-...ml#post3081707

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 272 (permalink) Old 2019-06-03, 11:23 AM

@Jimsathome

The lyngsat links are up to date and a good source of what channels are where and on which satellite. As @57 indicates there are many changes coming up for Shaw Direct over the next couple months, many channels moving transponders etc. When you get round to replacing the faulty cable can you use the existing cable to draw the new one through (using barrel connectors) or is the conduit so long it might bind on the other cables. Is there a fish tape in the conduit?

Another source of channel locations
https://www.shawbroadcast.com/Conten...nnelCharts.htm

LONSat

Last edited by LONSat; 2019-06-03 at 11:27 AM. Reason: added link
post #243 of 272 (permalink) Old 2019-06-03, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Hi HowardDoin,

Thanks for the links. I was hoping someone already compiled a list of what channels were on what feed.

I already had the Lyngsat pages and was up to 1:00 am last night, trying to sort out which one would have the least impact => at least on me as I don't remember the neighbor's package with Shaw Direct other than his Misses loves baseball. That should make the Sportsnet HD channels a priority.

In my blurry state I concluded (and I could be wrong) that the 13V/10KHz feed is the most likely candidate. That's the F1/G1 Vertical channels which seem to have SD Channels (when HD is preferred anyway), French Channels, times shifted CTV channels, and a lot of unsubscribed Shaw Direct Pay stuff.

Anyway, I'm going to swap that feed out and see what everyone has to say. I know the right answer is to pull in a new cable, but that's probably a huge task even though we had installed a strong run of braided pull string in place when we did the install eight (nine years this November. OMG!!) But if we do that, we'll finally get some RG6 Quad Shield in place.

I hope the feed swap will work until then...

Regards,
Jim

post #244 of 272 (permalink) Old 2019-06-03, 09:33 PM
Veteran

Quote:
can you use the existing cable to draw the new one through (using barrel connectors)
I wouldn't use barrel connectors. The coax connectors are not likely to hold, especially on long runs like this. Use the center conductors in the cable or a pull string. Use black electrical tape to make the connection transition as seamless as possible. Electrical wholesalers sell a wire pulling lubricant that really helps with long runs of cable.
post #245 of 272 (permalink) Old 2019-06-09, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Hi Team,

For now the neighbor is quite happy. It seems the 13V/10KHz feed => the F1/G1 Vertical channels that are lost didn't impact them at all. So the urgency has diminished immensely.

There has been a bit of construction equipment (backhoes mostly, but Cement Trucks, etc.) driving over the conduit with the feed cables and I suspect one of the cables (and conduit) got crushed / cut as they are only 12-16 inches deep as I remember. It could be the repair we made last year has somehow failed (which was a bit deeper, but the reconstruction of that Cabin into a House is still ongoing). Or it could be another house 4 Cabins down (towards the dish) who demolished their old place, and only reused the front foundation walls (so they qualified as a renovation and didn't have to comply with "new" setback requirements) for a huge expansion. (He's a mechanic and put in an attached 3 car garage with a Lift so he can moonlight evenings and weekends. He and his family live there year round.) They moved some huge boulders across the conduit in making a retaining wall and that could also be the source of the problem.

Anyway, if we get lucky and Shaw Direct keeps the channels as they are, it could be next spring before I get enough time to find out what's up and repair it. Thanks for the tips.

Regards,
Jim
post #246 of 272 (permalink) Old 2019-07-22, 06:36 PM

I just switched out to the new, xKu LNB, and wondered if you could help with a channel question. Can you tell me your EcbNo for channel 252 Prise 2? Over 7.0?
thanks
post #247 of 272 (permalink) Old 2019-07-22, 10:55 PM

Mine's 10.5db. It doesn't matter that I'm not subscribed to that channel right?
post #248 of 272 (permalink) Old 2019-07-23, 01:02 AM

nope, it doesn’t matter. For some reason, Shaw Direct is using a channel I don’t subscribe to for either measuring signal strength, or to activate the xKu LNB. which I didn’t realize needed activating. I thought you just installed it, called in and they press the “go” button. Thanks for the signal check.
post #249 of 272 (permalink) Old 2019-07-23, 08:14 AM

It's been a long time since I installed my xKu, but I informed them via on online chat. You are correct in that they have to essentially flip a switch. I remember from installing dishes that I used City Toronto HD to check signal strength, and if memory serves correct, that was channel 252

Last edited by frenchophile; 2019-07-23 at 08:15 AM. Reason: clarifiaction
post #250 of 272 (permalink) Old 2019-07-23, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchophile View Post
It's been a long time since I installed my xKu, but I informed them via on online chat. You are correct in that they have to essentially flip a switch. I remember from installing dishes that I used City Toronto HD to check signal strength, and if memory serves correct, that was channel 252
Now, in the Classic East lineup, it's Prise 2
post #251 of 272 (permalink) Old 2019-07-24, 07:38 AM

right, so what I was getting at was that your info source for optimizing your dish was using info using the old channel number (252) instead of the channel name (City HD Toronto). so you may want to look at your EcbNo for CITY HD
post #252 of 272 (permalink) Old 2019-07-24, 09:11 AM

I don't understand how to use the channel NAME to optimize the dish. What do you mean by that?
post #253 of 272 (permalink) Old 2019-07-24, 09:25 AM

I believe what frenchophile is saying is to use the channel number associated with where Citytv Toronto (channel NAME) is located. It will have three possible numbers currently depending on whether it's Classic (35) , Advanced (535) or National (135)
frenchophile likes this.

LONSat
post #254 of 272 (permalink) Old 2019-07-24, 10:46 AM

And what are people’s EcbNo #’s for CityTV, Toronto at the moment?
post #255 of 272 (permalink) Old 2019-07-24, 11:48 AM

City TV Trana is 35 on my tuner and ECB reads 8.8
ronycoca and tvmaster like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in