DSR 530 hard drive upgrade - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-02-19, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

DSR 530 hard drive upgrade

I have read all the posts on the 530 hard drive upgrade using the SATA TO IDE board as documented by "7ninty" and his photo album.

One question: Can you use the board and power cables and fit it all INSIDE the receiver?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-02-20, 09:24 PM
Rookie

Adapted Driver with Cover ON

No, Only if you remove and leave off receiver outer cover, Adapter sticks up about 1/2 inch to high. You need to cut the hole or run wires out back of receiver to drive outside receiver, some where. Even if you take the heat sinks off (I don't think they are need at all with a cool running drive) it still sticks up. There's just not enough room in receiver to fit converted drive in and put cover on.

If you could get a large capacity drive the size of a laptop drive hooked up to a adapter it probably would fit, but not a regular size drive.

Drive and Adapter will fit inside receiver, but you cannot snap the cover down in its OEM position.

You could:
-put drive inside, and make a spacer of somekind to hold receiver cover up 3/4 inch higher. (a wooden dowel or strip front to back on both sides) Would leave a space on both sides/front/back of same 3/4 inch. This would actually help with cooling receiver inside, put a fan on each side plugged into receivers USB jacks, air wood go in/out easily.

I've had adapted drive sitting inside receiver with no cover on it, drive sitting on shelf behind receiver,and my current removable drive bay sitting on top with wires going inside via a hole in cover (fortunately had a spare cover)
For my usage I like on top and with removable drive bay

Even if you do nothing else, get some fans sucking air out, and blowing air into receiver, I'm convinced heat is what kills these units. I've had "zero" lockups, reboots, or other troubles since changing drive an getting 3 fans blowing on receiver.

Someone else had converted USB drive by cutting and soldering wiring for it to get drive inside receiver with cover on as far as I know.

My way is a little bit more plug and play.

Its nice never having to delete any recordings, unless you want to!

Good luck
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-02-21, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Smile 7Ninty

Thanks for your reply.

I don't really need a whole lot of extra space, I am just sick of reboots and a new receiver every 6-9 months.

Thanks for doing all the work you did to get this mod to work!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-02-21, 05:55 PM

Yes, excellent follow on development work.
And thanks to ARR for the original ground breaking article.

Pretty sad when the user community has to do SD development work and determine just how to make these things works.
Bigger better faster hard drives and lots of cooling seems to do the trick.

When needs a DSR630 when a tricked out 530 is likely better anyways.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-03-02, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

DSR530 Hard Drive Upgrade

I just finished the upgrade and put a 7200RPM 750GB Seagate SATA drive in with the card. Everything went without a hitch. I added a fan above the power supply and have left the cover off for now to keep the unit extra cool. I also removed the module expansion subcard at the rear of the unit.

I did have one thought that may allow people to put the cover on. If one was to use an IDE ribbon cable from the SATA2IDE card to the starchoice IDE card and then mounted the starchoice card where the expansion subcard was, I think one could get the top cover on.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-03-04, 01:26 AM

Drive options

These ST3750640A drives are hard to find. Will any ata/100 drive,regardless of manufacturer be supported?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-03-04, 02:58 AM

No, for PATA drives, they must be Seagates to fit the adapter board mechanicals.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-03-07, 02:35 PM

HD choices

....If one was to use an IDE ribbon cable from the SATA2IDE card to the starchoice IDE card and then mounted the starchoice card where the expansion subcard was, I think one could get the top cover on....

Does this mean that one CAN safely use a suitable SATA drive utilizing the crossover connection being a SATA to IDE adapter???

Would that open the selection of possible DSR hard drives beyond SEAGATE 750GB (P)ATA/100 7200rpm to other SATA drives?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-03-07, 02:53 PM

In theory that should work fine.
I think I'd rather find a USB to SATA conversion over the USB to IDE to SATA though.

Maybe a SATA enclosure with USB output could be cannibalized or something already exists.

I'd hate to think of a PVR with a much larger hard drive though.
Imagine a 1.5 or 2 TB drive.
Even for HD, that would be more than you could comfortably watch.
And what if things went South on you? All those recordings.

It would be different if the unit allowed for long term archival storage and playback.

The problem is 2 fold;
1. The data is 3DES encrypted.
2. The data is married to the Unit Address of the box.

So when the box craps, and it eventually will, while you can drop the drive into a new unit, it won't playback existing recordings.

It's easy to justify a new drive for;
1. Additional storage
2. Better performance
but for long term, I think something like a Hauppage HD PVR box and a BIG disk would be a much safer bet.

I picked up a couple of Seagate 500GB IDE's intending to use them on the 530 as the size is really just about right.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-03-07, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose57 View Post
I think I'd rather find a USB to SATA conversion over the USB to IDE to SATA though.

Maybe a SATA enclosure with USB output could be cannibalized or something already exists.

It would be different if the unit allowed for long term archival storage and playback.

The problem is 2 fold;

So when the box craps, and it eventually will, while you can drop the drive into a new unit, it won't playback existing recordings.

1. Additional storage
2. Better performance
but for long term, I think something like a Hauppage HD PVR box and a BIG disk would be a much safer bet.

I picked up a couple of Seagate 500GB IDE's intending to use them on the 530 as the size is really just about right.
Where did you p/u your Seagate 500 GB? I checked with a longer aftermarket supplier and they had new old stock of WD 500GB ATA 100 for $119+ tax. If all 40 pin IDE connections are standard, will there be any issues swapping in a WD over a Seagate?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-03-07, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose57 View Post

The problem is 2 fold;

1. Additional storage
2. Better performance

Won't a WD ata 100 500 GB swap in successfully as well? I can buy NEW OLD STOCK UNIT FOR $119... yOUR THOUGHTS?

Ultra does offer an ATA <=> SATA crossover solution opening up other HD price and choice possibilities... For that matter, why hasn't Shaw Direct note the number of successfully swapped Hard Drives that have satisfied every 530 owner who had under taken the 15 minute procedure.

Shaw Direct could refurbish the 530 with a larger hard drive with adequate cooling and provide all necessary operational checks. Shaw Directs volume purchase for parts would ensure cost effectiveness and customer affordability of such an upgrade!

Shaw Direct's technical escalation department, who should be reading this, should take note that this reasearch was done at our expense. It is free and open to modification.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-03-07, 04:18 PM

WD HDD specifications

WD Caviar Blue
PATA Hard Drives
500 GB, 100 MB/s, 16 MB Cache, 7200 RPM

Performance Specifications
Transfer Rates
Transfer Rate (Buffer To Disk) 972 Mb/s (Max)

Physical Specifications
Formatted Capacity 500,107 MB
Capacity 500 GB
Interface PATA 100 MB/s
User Sectors Per Drive 976,773,168

Physical Dimensions
English
Height 1.028 Inches
Length 5.787 Inches
Width 4.00 Inches
Weight 1.39 Pounds

Metric
Height 25.4 mm
Length 147 mm
Width 101.6 mm
Weight 0.63 kg

Environmental Specifications
Shock
Operating Shock (Read) 65G, 2 ms
Non-operating Shock 350G, 2 ms

Acoustics
Idle Mode 28 dBA (average)
Seek Mode 0 33 dBA (average)
Seek Mode 3 29 dBA (average)

Temperature (English)
Operating 32° F to 140° F
Non-operating -40° F to 149° F

Temperature (Metric)
Operating -0° C to 60° C
Non-operating -40° C to 65° C

Humidity
Operating 5-95% RH non-condensing
Non-operating 5-95% RH non-condensing

Altitude (English)
Operating -1,000 feet to 10,000 feet
Non-operating -1,000 feet to 40,000 feet

Altitude (Metric)
Operating -305M to 3,050M
Non-operating -305M to 12,200M

Vibration
Operating
Linear 20-300 Hz, 0.75 G (0 to peak)
Random 7-500 Hz (0.00221 g² / Hz)

Non-operating
Low Frequency 10-300 Hz, 0.195 inches (double amplitude)
High Frequency 300-500 Hz, 5.0G (0 to peak)

Electrical Specifications
Current Requirements
12 VDC
Read/Write 460 mA
Idle 450 mA
Standby 6 mA
Sleep 6 mA

5 VDC
Read/Write 650 mA
Idle 600 mA
Standby 180 mA
Sleep 180 mA

Power Dissipation
Read/Write 8.77 Watts
Idle 8.40 Watts
Standby 0.97 Watts
Sleep 0.97 Watts
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-03-07, 11:10 PM

The 40 pin IDE (PATA) connector is now a standard.
No problem with that.
The problem with NON Seagate drives is the physical distance between the IDE connector and the power connector.

Of course, if you use a ribbon cable and short link for the power cable, then YES, any IDE drive should work fine.

As you've seen finding them is the tricky part.

I bought my Seagate 500's off eBay.

Maybe I should part with them in the buy & sell here if others could better use them than I.

As far as cooling goes, the OEM drives have a heat sink attached with thermal tape that helps a fair bit.

As many have already noted, some forced additional cooling seems to also go a long ways to making these units perform close to expectations.

I long used a 120mm case fan of the type with a thermal sensor and spliced it into the stock 4 pin molex power connector.
I placed it on top of the case above the power supply to exhaust heat and seldom had any real problems until the CMOS fried itself to death.

I don't think SD is much interested in supporting the user community with such unofficial mods, too bad really.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-03-08, 12:49 PM

Enhanced feature hints suggest simul-record. Multi HD recording wll fill that OEM drive in a short while.

I noticed that there was a used 600GB seagate PATA 100 for $90. IS that reasonable?
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 2010-03-08, 03:43 PM

Didn't know Seagate made a 600Gb PATA.
What's the model # ?
I always knew they had 500 and then went to 750's.

Double check all the spec and make sure the spindle speed is 7200 RPM or better. Also that the mechanicals are normal Seagte spacing.

The current OEM drives are 5400, that's why replacement drives make the unit work better, plus they tend to have larger memory cache's on board that help a lot as well.

If it's compliant, then the price is reasonable.
I paid around that for my 500's last fall.

They will be a bit more per GB than modern drives due to supply and demand.
But then they become drop in replacements without a lot of fuss.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in