Shaw Direct Guide issues. - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-01-29, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Shaw Direct Guide issues.

Wow glad I found this forum. Now I know I'm not the only person in Canada who has these problems with Shaw.

My main problem with this Shaw Direct is the guide over the past few years. I can't believe I'm still with them. Must me nuts!
I have asked time and time again to Shaw when they would fix the guide. You look at a movie listing and most of the time it only provides the actors name and thats it! Some times nothing.. Totally don't get it. If its a series it never tells you when it airs the next part or! if its a series. On and on, I know.
So,,,,, I called,,,,,several times and yup you guessed it, the most crazy answers ever. Like the networks don't give them any info or they will be upgrading the guide soon. Um, not! Heres my conspiracy theory.

I believe the guide is done in Quebec and there is a language problem.
Reason! If you look at names in the guide you will see little french symbols above letters when they should not be there. Sound crazy? maybe but I have asked them if it is done in Quebec.....No answer to that one. Oh also have seen listing in the movie part of the guide in French.

So I have wrote this " Ask Jim " thing on Shaws page, great answer there too
Please bare with us as we are upgrading our guide but it will only work with the HD505 and up! Well I have that one and three others that are not so what then........New equipment!!!! Not likely.
My brother has simple digital Shaw and the guide is incredible. So um! Why does it work so well and give tons of info and not this $110 a month one.
One thing they will give you info on, if your late to pay them

Guess what I'm really trying to get across is in Canada we need more Television providers to break this monopoly. These guys have us and don't care one bit! If they did they would not treat you like you were lobotomized!

Thanks for listening
Joe from Langley BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-01-29, 11:44 AM
Veteran

I guess that is why they have the link "What's on TV" on the homepage of SD. I have bookmarked Zap 2 It, Shaw Direct, Advanced Lineup and if you open a free account, you can log in your favorites. A couple of clicks will give you the info you want and more.
Everyone seems to be heated up with the guide provisions on the receivers but I don't watch the guide, I watch shows. I also have a couple of legacy receivers with the old, never-to-be upgraded guide but they work. My 505's will be upgraded when it's ready.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-01-29, 12:39 PM
QCK

When I am paying $100/month for programming including the movies package it really would be nice to see a little something on what each show/movie is about instead of just the name and year it was made.

It blows me away that in 2010 we are still have such a lacking guide. But hey we have all read the same type of rant hundreds of times now.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-01-30, 01:23 PM

I hate that the guide won't go back in time - for example (all you NFL fans will know what I'm talking about) if it's 4pm it won't show the 1pm start time games anymore, yet most if not all will still be on. Now I'm not able to see which games are on which channels anymore.....really annoying (especially when you're watching multiple games via Sunday Ticket).
If I could just go back even 1/2 an hr to display the games it would be fixed.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-02-01, 12:19 PM
Rookie

@fatkev78, I could NOT agree more!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-02-01, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbracing24 View Post
I guess that is why they have the link "What's on TV" on the homepage of SD. I have bookmarked Zap 2 It, Shaw Direct, Advanced Lineup and if you open a free account, you can log in your favorites. A couple of clicks will give you the info you want and more.
Everyone seems to be heated up with the guide provisions on the receivers but I don't watch the guide, I watch shows. I also have a couple of legacy receivers with the old, never-to-be upgraded guide but they work. My 505's will be upgraded when it's ready.
Without a decent guide it detracts from the usefulness of the DVR. How can one record shows if there is no guide content, one doesn't know if it has been seen before etc. Time after time we record shows and have to delete them because we have seen them previously or they are totally opposed to our viewing preferences. I feel that the guide was one of the most important improvements in TV since the days when you had to read a magazine to see what was on. I cerainly do not want to have to go to a computer to see what is coming on TV.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-02-01, 09:58 PM

Here's a bit of a complicated way that I have found out ot get the the guide to go back.Press guide,then go ahead 1 hr in guide,then ahead 1 day in guide.Then press the play button on the remote and it will change for you,going back to where you originally started but back in time.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-02-04, 12:07 PM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Sat 600-630 Cable Internet, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Bell Mobility, Netflix
Quote:
Originally Posted by painter View Post
Here's a bit of a complicated way that I have found out ot get the the guide to go back.Press guide,then go ahead 1 hr in guide,then ahead 1 day in guide.Then press the play button on the remote and it will change for you,going back to where you originally started but back in time.
I tried this and it goes back half an hour.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-02-04, 09:45 PM

Well fatkev78 said it would help him if it even went back a 1/2 hour,so that's why I posted it.Sometimes it goes back a full hour,but I think you have to catch near the start time of the new program and maybe go ahead 2hrs or so before you go to the day ahead jump.I'm not sure what purpose it serve's except maybe for what fatkev78 wanted to do.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-02-07, 07:05 PM

way back in the early days the guide always used to come up 1/2 hour behind the current time frame, but everybody hated that especially if it was a few minutes before the end of the program. you had to advance the guide an hour ahead to see what the next show was. the latest receivers now will advance to the next time frame if you are within 4 minutes of the end of that 1/2 hour. most people seem to like that but it does make a menu come up asking if you would like to tune to that channel if you select it and the show hasn't started yet. i don't know if it's possible but you might ask shaw if they can revert your receiver to the old guide from back in the 90's. my memory may be faded but i think maybe it was possible to run that guide back as much as 3 hours as well.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-02-15, 05:26 AM

Thanks for posting painter......it's crazy that we have to go through all that just so it'll go back 1/2 an hour, but I'll be sure to try next football season.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-02-15, 02:20 PM

One thing I cannot understand is why the guide is so bereft of information regarding individual shows. Most movies just give you the date and the names of the actors. Does it really need a complete new guide to add a little more information? Now a complete new guide of about three weeks in advance would be nice and I realize that may need new coding but just to add appropriate detailst to the show????? Does that really need a new guide?
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-02-15, 03:04 PM
Veteran

Ir needs new software to support more data.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-11-28, 06:36 PM

My beef with the guide is the inability to show more than a few letters of the title. Would it be so hard to have a second line?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 2010-12-02, 06:46 AM
Rookie

CTS info wrong

I noticed on Tues and Wed on the cts channel 355 the guide said Mad About You and it was something different and then Happy Days was listed and it turned out to be the Hogan Family. This is all I have noticed so far other than some shows say "new" and they are not.

Tags
shaw direct , shaw sucks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in