Shaw Direct Complaint, Rant, Leaving SD Thread - Page 43 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #631 of 691 (permalink) Old 2019-01-17, 12:18 PM
Veteran

@tvmaster , yes that is correct April is when things start to change. For April and May it is primarily French services that are impacted. re the 15 versions of CTV (and CBC and Global) you can hide the ones you don't want in preferences. If you schedule a recording and it happens to smart record using one the hidden ones there is no impact, it will record in the "background" and the playback will be normal.

LONSat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 691 (permalink) Old 2019-01-17, 01:23 PM

@tvmaster my bad, by wrong LNB I meant you have the old LNB so you can't receive channels on G1. I used the wrong (or imprecise) adjective
post #633 of 691 (permalink) Old 2019-01-17, 11:35 PM

We don't get G1 so if we know a pgm is going to be on American and Cdn stations at the same time we just tune to a Cdn channel, that way no black screen or screwed up simsub on the American channel.
Dr.Dave, tvmaster and NovaMan like this.

post #634 of 691 (permalink) Old 2019-01-18, 12:23 PM

Once SHaw Direct dumps the sd channels, would love to see them try and offer the TSN and Sportsnet 4K channels. Iím guessing that any of the current stb would need some sort of upgrade. Is any of this even possible?
post #635 of 691 (permalink) Old 2019-01-19, 12:39 AM

I hope they donít. I honestly can barely see the benefits of 4k unless Iím 18 inches before the screen. Now, maybe thatís because there isnít enough useful content to prove its worth, but for now I hope they use the bandwidth for other things...
post #636 of 691 (permalink) Old 2019-01-19, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster View Post
I hope they donít. I honestly can barely see the benefits of 4k unless Iím 18 inches before the screen. Now, maybe thatís because there isnít enough useful content to prove its worth, but for now I hope they use the bandwidth for other things...
That has not been my experience. I was able to view a 4K football CFL game in a store and it was spectacular with the increased definition and vividness even from several feet away.

I would dearly love SD to provide 4K but I have strong doubts that we will see this anytime soon. I don't know if the current 800 series receivers have 4K capability and if they don't, it would mean new receivers and (most probably) some transmitting upgrades as well.

I currently watch 4K pictures on a website for European TV channels that comes in via internet. That's one way Shaw could satisfy customers who have 4K tv's.

Pie in the (satellite) sky?
HowardDoin likes this.
post #637 of 691 (permalink) Old 2019-01-20, 01:08 AM

cool. whatís the channel?
post #638 of 691 (permalink) Old 2019-01-20, 10:17 AM

It is cool but only if someone is French and is willing to go through hoops to make it happen. I check both boxes.
post #639 of 691 (permalink) Old 2019-01-24, 01:03 PM

Does anyones VOD actually work yet? We are still having issues with Crave and with the PPV ordering through video on demand. Constant audio dropouts, video freezing, and the HD signal breaking up and looking worse then SD on any motion. Our internet speed is over 20mbps and Shaw keeps saying its my internet issue.
post #640 of 691 (permalink) Old 2019-01-25, 12:20 PM

We're having issues after a server upgrade, unfortunately. Ask the TSR to cut an incident with your account details so we can have the engineering guys take a look and add it to our conversations with the vendor. We're having troubles gathering proper examples where someone's internet actually isn't the issue. (I don't think I'm permitted to ask you for account info based on the company representative rules on the forum...but relatively new to actually posting!).

It began to be problematic November 1st when Crave came to VOD - it was mitigated in December, but the last couple of weeks it's degraded again for some customers again, generally during "peak" hours.
post #641 of 691 (permalink) Old 2019-01-25, 04:56 PM

k801809 it's good to have an insider on here. I hope that you stay on.
post #642 of 691 (permalink) Old 2019-01-28, 09:13 AM

It's funny, I've been on here for years, just in the background. It's a daily morning ritual to check the forums and address anything I could (incorrect logos, free previews, report outages, etc.). I've always refrained from posting at the direction of an old leader who was given a hard time back in the day (think 630 launch era) when providing support, though I don't know much of what happened there!

EDIT: Just wanted to say, don't let me get in the way of your usual discussions. Will only chime in where I can.
NovaMan likes this.

Last edited by k801809; 2019-01-28 at 11:22 AM.
post #643 of 691 (permalink) Old 2019-01-28, 09:54 AM

I noticed a sim-sub error Shaw Direct made last week. My wife likes to watch "Entertainment Tonight" on Global, at 7pm Atlantic, on Global Halifax. On Wednesday Global Halifax puts "Chicago Med" on at 7pm instead of the regular "Entertainment Tonight" program. So we changed the channel to NTV, which was showing the ET program, and you guessed it, SD sim-subbed Chicago Med over ET on NTV.

I have noticed this happening a few times. Should Shaw Direct even be sim-subbing Global Halifax over Newfoundland TV?
post #644 of 691 (permalink) Old 2019-01-28, 10:17 AM

No, they shouldnít, if the programs arenít the same show, AND same episode. We used to do subs MANUALLY back in the day at Rogers Cable, but I fear today automation is in play, when maybe it shouldnít be....
post #645 of 691 (permalink) Old 2019-01-28, 11:38 AM

I'll ask the SBS team to take a look at the substitutions - my grid is showing that the programming lines up between the two channels for the evening starting at 6 pm ET (exception is Jeopardy on NTV at 6:30 pm ET), but it's possible Global replaced programming and didn't update their data so it's become an incorrect substitution. Did you happen to notice whether the grid for Global Halifax said it was Chicago Med?

On the overall substitution, for Global content, yes (providing you're closer to Halifax).
NovaMan likes this.

Tags
complaint , rant , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in