Shaw Direct Complaint, Rant, Leaving SD Thread - Page 31 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #451 of 651 (permalink) Old 2014-03-20, 09:54 AM

Not so much a complaint, but a question. Why don't Shaw "combine" their cable / satellite operations into one "brand". Call the whole thing "Shaw TV". Then, you can either get cable or satellite, but each will be the same, with the same EPG, channel #'s etc. Would make it much easier I feel. Sure, keep them as separate business units if necessary, but otherwise, combine all branding and marketing, harmonise the channels and make things the same. I know it's what I'd do if I was running Shaw (along with several other things!). One consistent offer:

"Hello, I'm interested in your XYZ package"
"Certainly sir. Can I take your postal code and we can take a look?"
"Yes, it's A1A 1A1"
"OK sir, we can offer you that package by either cable or satellite. Do you have a preference?"
"Oh, I can't have a satellite dish on my apartment, I'll choose cable please"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 651 (permalink) Old 2014-03-20, 10:02 AM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Starting with a clean slate, I'm sure that's what they'd do, however, contracts would have been negotiated separately for what was StarChoice and with those in place, renewals may be easier than renegotiating, etc. The fact that the distribution network is different, may also come into play because identical options for distribution (say internet) are not available for Shaw and Shaw Direct. Bandwidth may also come into play since there may be no room in one distribution network.

For example, Rogers Atlantic has a different lineup than Rogers Ontario.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #453 of 651 (permalink) Old 2014-03-20, 10:15 AM

Yes true, I didn't think about those things. But surely, it's something that could be done moving forward, even if it's piecemeal. Maybe it is in the works, who knows?

post #454 of 651 (permalink) Old 2014-03-20, 12:00 PM
Veteran

I doubt the channel line-up would ever be harmonized with Shaw. In fact Shaw Cable has very different channel line-ups between markets. It's not uncommon for cable systems to have different dial positions for the former analog channels but companies like Cogeco, Rogers and Videotron have pretty much the same line-ups for the digital only channels. If you look at Shaw's line-ups from market to market, even the digital channel locations can be different.
post #455 of 651 (permalink) Old 2014-03-20, 12:24 PM
Rookie

combining their cable / satellite operations

if shaw is getting rid of their BC satellite guys and replacing them with their cable guys doesn't that mean they are combining their cable / satellite operations?
post #456 of 651 (permalink) Old 2014-03-23, 09:03 AM

Angry Bogus charge

I have been on the phone with SD for about 2 - 2 1/2 hours over the last couple of days trying to get my Satellite bill under control.

After getting prices and discounts to go to lower packages ie Gold choice, I am told that if I go to that package they are going to add a multi receiver fee of $5.99.

It costs SD no more money to transmit the signal whether I have 1 or 6 receivers.

This is one of the most bogus charges I have ever heard of.

Talk about driving people away to look at how to get American signal.
Oh I guess then I would be a criminal as far as the CRTC is concerned.
post #457 of 651 (permalink) Old 2014-03-24, 03:46 AM

DirecTV charges $6.99 for each additional receiver.
post #458 of 651 (permalink) Old 2014-03-24, 09:11 PM
QCK

Dish Network charges between $7 - $17 for each additional receiver & the warranty is another $7 a month. Seriously there is no reason to complain about $5.99 and the warranty included for up to six receivers inclusive. Everyone has their own opinion though, and the right to voice it.
post #459 of 651 (permalink) Old 2014-03-26, 06:14 PM

Charges like this just annoy the hell out of me.
They seem sneaky and underhanded.
There is that thing also about it costing SD no more $ if I have more than 1 receiver.
post #460 of 651 (permalink) Old 2014-03-26, 07:54 PM

that extra receiver fee is well worth it with the american companies considering the programming available.
post #461 of 651 (permalink) Old 2014-03-27, 01:37 PM
Rookie

All providers are in fact charged on a per-receiver/set-top basis by the networks, not per customer account.
post #462 of 651 (permalink) Old 2014-04-10, 12:09 PM

Angry

What's up with there customer service these last couple of days?
Yesterday I tried using there on line service to add two pick and pay channels.
Got an error didn't work,phoned and finally got a customer rep.
Thought it was added and today the channels are unsubscribe again.
Went through the whole thing again today ,
Same thing ,on line service update does not work.

Got put on hold on the phone and after 10 mins they hung up on me

Got through this morning via the phone all fixed up.
I had a great Rep,very helpful.
post #463 of 651 (permalink) Old 2014-09-23, 02:42 PM
Rookie

Finally done with Shaw Direct!

So after being a beta tester for Starchoice/Shaw Direct for the last 15+ yrs, the back & forth shipping of 8 or 9 bad PVR’s, countless frustrating hours spent on Tech support, ridiculous increases, zero loyalty, I’m done.

I managed to get my package down to a respectable price, not a heavy tv watcher, but I love my hockey. Included in my package are all the Sportsnet SD channels, the “new” Sportsnet in HD, & all TSN in HD. Although I have Sportsnet Pacific in SD (the only one I watch for Canucks) I don’t get it in HD. So ok, I know I’m already forced to buy a HD Sports package to watch my one channel so I order it $6.99, should be good right?

Nope, not with Shaw, apparently my package doesn’t allow me to get Sportsnet HD, "Huh?" unless of course I also get another sportsbundle at $4.99, even though I already have SD Sportsnet and HD Sports @ $6.99, which is supposed to give you HD Sportsnet, TSN, etc.

So in order for me to get Sportsnet Pacific in HD, (the only “one” sports channel I don’t get in HD), I would have to pay an additional $12 a month. Un-freakin believable! What happened to if you have it in SD, just add HD package, it’s a blatant rip-off. This is the worst I have ever encountered, I actually still can’t believe this is legal. I thought extortion was a crime.

Also, believe it or not Sportsnet HD is included with basic standard package with their own Shaw TV.

The government can’t be quick enough to put these crooks in their place. No wonder they’re so worried about pick & pay. They’ll finally be breaking the law by trying to pull this crap. I’m also sending a copy of this email to the government because this is exactly what they are trying to protect us from. I urge everyone to do the same.

Worst yet, loyalty means nothing, after everything I’ve put up with for 15 yrs, always paid on time, even recommended them, it's sickening. I didn’t even bother speaking with retention, they won’t care, my mthly bill isn’t high enough. If that even matters anymore? I’ll be cancelling with-in guidelines in order to not get charged & to give myself 30 days to decide on new provider. Any suggestions on Telus vs Bell?
post #464 of 651 (permalink) Old 2014-09-23, 07:49 PM

I went with Telus after a similar line of frustration. I had Bell before Shaw and gave them up for frustrations with them.
I think they are all similar and each has its own tricks and cheats to get you to pay the most they can squeeze out of you. With Telus I got a package that included a new TV and have had no problems with the reception. I do have a problem with the remote they give you.. And, they force you into bundles that give you ONE must have channel.
My overall monthly bill came down a bit.. but I elected less programming, on the other hand they upped my internet speed so browsing is a lot faster.
post #465 of 651 (permalink) Old 2014-09-24, 12:42 AM

Telus and Bell programing are the same (they use the same satellite). You might get better customer service and can bundle stuff with telus.

Tags
complaint , rant , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in