Shaw Direct Complaint, Rant, Leaving SD Thread - Page 30 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #436 of 651 (permalink) Old 2013-12-31, 10:42 AM

@gzink:

I've contacted them 7 or 8 times about the issue already. I think today I'll devote a phone call today strictly to getting this dealt with, in case we decide we want a PPV tonight.

We have Cox for TV, internet, and phone in the U.S....no satellite dishes, and we just love it. When retirement comes and we move off the farm permanently, we're looking forward to the times of paying 1/3 of what we pay now in Canada for telecommunication services plus better choices. And no loss of service when it rains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #437 of 651 (permalink) Old 2013-12-31, 01:25 PM
Veteran

If you wait long enough to retire then you can factor in $15/day for travel insurance while you enjoy the cheap cable down south. Don't wait too long!
post #438 of 651 (permalink) Old 2013-12-31, 03:01 PM

@gzink:

I think our high telecommunication costs here are related more to being in a rural region than it being a 'Canadian' issue. I think our Canadian city dwellers probably pay a lot less for these services than we do out here in the sticks, too, and of course they have a lot more choices.

Back to Shaw...they did just give me a $50 PPV movie credit because of the issues with the automated ordering system. I wasn't expecting that, so it was a nice surprise. (The problem still isn't fixed, but we were able to confirm that it isn't strictly a local problem anyway.)

post #439 of 651 (permalink) Old 2014-01-01, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Did the same thing last year. Was a Shaw Direct sub for 10+ years
I suspect the bean counters at Shaw have determined that they can make more by being uncompetitive with southern Ontario cable companies (except for Cogeco) and fleezing rural customers and those in Western Canada.

I've had a real challenge getting rid of my Shaw hardware in the London area.
post #440 of 651 (permalink) Old 2014-01-02, 01:31 PM
Rookie

Question SD 20% Billing Increase for "Free" Previews???

Out of frustration, I've just emailed this to SD via their website:

"Your CSR Leo just informed me that the 20% increase in my monthly package is partly to cover "free" previews...

WOW!!! Is this for real?

Surely that's FALSE ADVERTISING or FRAUD!!

Please re-consider this massive 20% increase (CPI is only 3%),
so I'm not getting anything extra and I can't watch 20% more TV.
Otherwise, I'm considering bailing to Internet TV eg. Netflix @$8/month."

Does anyone know any senior SD managers' email accounts to which I can also send this?

They no longer have any "Ask Jim" option.

And they no longer offer any "press 1 to have us call you back" -- instead of waiting on the phone for a surly CSR to try to blame me for an issue with their system.

Thanks;
post #441 of 651 (permalink) Old 2014-01-03, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryE View Post
Also two $4.00 increases in services in less than a year is totally unacceptable to me for virtually no improvement in services and NO Ottawa HD channels added.
Even though I'm now with Bell, I just checked out Shaw's website for the heck of it to see if anything had changed. And I laughed when I saw Digital Favorites has now gone up to $70/month. I remember back in 2007 when Digital Favorites was $45/month. So in 6 years, Shaw has increased the monthly price of this package by 55%. Compare that with my ISP who has charged me the same price for my internet package for the past 4 years, with no price increases.

My Bell contract goes until August 2015, but I can easily predict that when that day comes, Shaw still won't have Cartoon Network, and their Digital Favorites package will probably be up to $86/month (it's already at $70, just factor in two more $8 increases for this year and next year).

Bell and Dish for the win.
post #442 of 651 (permalink) Old 2014-01-03, 07:10 AM

I just left Bell for Shaw Direct. My Bell contract expired back in Sept. - I did call Bell for a monthly price reduction and they gave me $23 off for the next year ($13 for the PVR rental + $10 on top). I thought it was OK but something told me to call Shaw.....

I called Shaw Direct retentions and told them I was a pervious client ( I3 had my old account #) The Rep. offered me my old OVP package from 2010 plus free install.

New monthly bill will now be around $87 (tax in) compared to Bell at $133 (tax in)....saving over $500 a year.

Sure I loose a couple HD channels that I don't watch much anyway.... but I have Netflix to fill some gaps.

Install set for tomorrow.

Cheers
post #443 of 651 (permalink) Old 2014-01-05, 09:16 AM

$133 per month for TV in insane! But how is $87 per month even acceptable? Yes you are still saving, but man is that a lot for TV!
post #444 of 651 (permalink) Old 2014-01-05, 12:42 PM

D-Source - what do you pay?
post #445 of 651 (permalink) Old 2014-01-05, 12:47 PM

Last bill was $70 after tax i believe (before the latest increase). Still really really high IMO. When i started with SD about 4yrs ago i was paying $50 after tax. I'm way more comfortable with that amount.

Not trying to offend you, i'm just annoyed that there is cheaper option.
post #446 of 651 (permalink) Old 2014-01-07, 03:28 PM

Pray tell what are you getting for $70/mth?? Aren't you tired of watching 1 channel every day?
post #447 of 651 (permalink) Old 2014-01-15, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStew View Post
Out of frustration, I've just emailed this to SD via their website:

"Your CSR Leo just informed me that the 20% increase in my monthly package is partly to cover "free" previews...

WOW!!! Is this for real?

Surely that's FALSE ADVERTISING or FRAUD!!

Please re-consider this massive 20% increase (CPI is only 3%),
so I'm not getting anything extra and I can't watch 20% more TV.
Otherwise, I'm considering bailing to Internet TV eg. Netflix @$8/month."

Does anyone know any senior SD managers' email accounts to which I can also send this?

They no longer have any "Ask Jim" option.

And they no longer offer any "press 1 to have us call you back" -- instead of waiting on the phone for a surly CSR to try to blame me for an issue with their system.

Thanks;
I have to agree that the removal of a direct link to a senior administrator really shows how Shaw direct has changed their attitude towards their customers over what Star choice used to have (at least from my experience).

We (the customers) need to keep the shaw senior admins informed of our disatisfaction with the new culture, and the best way to do that is to send your frustrations to the top.

Jay Mehr is in charge of all "customer experience" for the shaw customer facing legs of the company (Shaw Direct & Shaw Cable).

send him your note. I think he needs to understand how many decade old customers are now fed up.

Last edited by downbeat; 2014-01-15 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Direct e-mail link removed
post #448 of 651 (permalink) Old 2014-02-01, 02:42 AM

iPad apps and Shaw.....

just got around to messing with some iPad TV apps...

CTV Go - only for Bell customers?
TMN Go - Shaw Direct subscribers NOT allowed access.
Sportsnet World Online - Rogers only?

so why are Shaw apparently not allowing paying customers to access these services? Imagine I have no idea how monopolies work....
post #449 of 651 (permalink) Old 2014-02-01, 02:32 PM

I bailed a month ago and went to Optik TV from Telus. I think it will be cheaper, there is more HD channels (that I watch) and the picture is as good or better. I get "thrown in" 3 times the speed on my internet connection.
There are some frustrations... and negatives. The remote is direct line of sight.. the remote is harder to use for someone with "non texting thumbs" as in.. my thumb was designed for hitch hiking.. not texting.. The sound level between channels varies a lot..

Overall.. glad I made the move. But in a nutshell.. the reason I dumped Shaw was the cost they were going to charge me for upgrading to the new satellite.. a $98 service charge to install a new LNB. After.. making the call to cancel they were all over me offering to do it for free.. throw in some PPV movies.. And that was my argument.. for existing customers (7 years) you (Shaw) do squat.. new customers offer them the world. When I changed to the 630 series PVR the same thing.. took the threat of canceling to get a reduction in price.. a $99 special deal. Right!

Perhaps in a few years.. I may be unhappy with Telus as well... then perhaps back to Bell??
post #450 of 651 (permalink) Old 2014-02-08, 01:57 PM

TV guide "No Data"

on both my DSR 605 and DSR 630, I've been seeing 'No Data' show up in the listings, randomly, over the last few days. Makes scheduling recordings difficult.
Anyone else seeing this?

Tags
complaint , rant , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in