Shaw Direct Complaint, Rant, Leaving SD Thread - Page 23 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #331 of 651 (permalink) Old 2013-02-03, 08:44 AM

Pajoas:

Had you been with Shaw a little longer you probably would have gotten a free equipment upgrade. (pay for shipping) When I called SD to mention I couldn't get a certain station because it was mpeg4, my 3 receivers and my dish got swapped out for next to nothing.

I checked some of your posts and you were warned on here about constantly switching suppliers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 651 (permalink) Old 2013-02-03, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo54 View Post
Pajoas:

Had you been with Shaw a little longer you probably would have gotten a free equipment upgrade. (pay for shipping) When I called SD to mention I couldn't get a certain station because it was mpeg4, my 3 receivers and my dish got swapped out for next to nothing.

I checked some of your posts and you were warned on here about constantly switching suppliers.
this is correct....as a 10 year subscriber, Shaw quickly and painlessly took my 505 for a 605, and my 319 for a 600, shipped and supplied said receivers for no charge to me. Can't complain about that.
post #333 of 651 (permalink) Old 2013-03-02, 09:00 PM
Rookie

Back to bell free pvr, free hd receiver, bill less then $5 a month more but lot of extra hd and sd channels. and yes i read all the little fine print Bell uses when your not looking. I also got another $6 off my phone and internet making it around even. I don't care if my dish says Lada on it I go to whoever offers the best bang for the buck. 7 years ago it was Shaw sadly today they ain't even close. There total lack of HD was also a deal breaker, they don't sell SD receivers anymore but they carry less HD then anyone go figure.

post #334 of 651 (permalink) Old 2013-03-03, 02:24 AM
Veteran

Its over and done and seems like the hd shortage did it, but with that monthly I don't see how you wouldn't have had a 600 or two on their way. Possibly even a 630 refurb would have made it. Oh well enjoy the extra hd.
post #335 of 651 (permalink) Old 2013-03-05, 04:14 PM

From what I understand, once Shaw is able to get their new G1 satellite launched and operational, they will finally be able to expand their HD channels.

Having said that, it remains to be scene whether or not the new G1 will be visible in the Southern USA for all of our Canadian Snowbirds in Arizona, Florida, etc...

Bell's two new satellites cannot be scene in the Southern USA. Many Snowbirds have switched from Bell to Shaw, so hopefully Shaw doesn't disappoint them with the new G1 bird.
post #336 of 651 (permalink) Old 2013-03-05, 04:41 PM

No speculation needed the footprint for G1 will not reach very far into the US.

http://www.satlaunch.net/2011/10/ani...ootprints.html

LONSat
post #337 of 651 (permalink) Old 2013-03-09, 10:09 AM

update 9.15 really ticking me off....my 630 is acting up ALL the time now, whereas before, it was nearly great. Don't they test their software before release? No, it's not my dish, my lines, etc....since everything was great before the update. FIX IT, SHAW! rant over
post #338 of 651 (permalink) Old 2013-03-09, 12:14 PM

Location: Calgary - Shaw phone/internet, OTA attic / Pigeon Lake - CCI Wireless, VoIP.ms, OTA, FTA, LTSS
Do you remember what firmware version was on the box when you got it?

I'm going to toss out a hypothesis that it is not the specific firmware update, but x numbers of downloaded updates in the field on a given box that is the issue.

It would be interesting to track what number of updates pushes a 630 over the edge.

I wonder how many 630 users are successfully running 9.15 on a box that started out with 0.13?
post #339 of 651 (permalink) Old 2013-03-11, 08:29 AM

I believe I started on the update prior to 6.22. Update 8.XX destroyed one PVR and nearly destroyed 2 more. 9.15 has been much more stable on my receivers and is actually a welcome change.
post #340 of 651 (permalink) Old 2013-03-12, 02:19 PM

I don't see any firmware written on the box anywhere. any other place to find that info?
post #341 of 651 (permalink) Old 2013-03-12, 08:14 PM

I've had my 630 since the fall of 2010 when they first came out, and it came with 0.13. Running fine to this day.
post #342 of 651 (permalink) Old 2013-06-01, 10:22 AM
Rookie

Sent an e-mail to SD regarding getting an LNB cable for the new channels. 36 hours later I still do not have reply and the phone wait time are about 2 hrs.

Not impressed
post #343 of 651 (permalink) Old 2013-06-01, 10:24 AM

get it from ebay or a dealer, either way you'll have to pay
post #344 of 651 (permalink) Old 2013-06-02, 02:21 PM

I got tired of their phone line hassle, and sent them a PM on Facebook, of all things. I received an answer within hours and resolved the problem. It probably did not hurt that a casual mention of a competitors promotional offerings smoothed the track for my free LNB upgrade.

It seems companies are quite aware, these days, of their image on social media and are responding appropriately.
post #345 of 651 (permalink) Old 2013-06-10, 04:46 AM

Like many others here, the only complaint I have about Shaw Direct has to do with the constant price increases.

I've kept every SD bill since I signed up with them in May 2009 and I've always noticed a price increase of about $3-4 between March and May, and then another price increase, again about $3-4 between October and December.

So basically, my bill has been going up by approximately $6-7 a year. Now mind you, I have the grandfathered Digital Basic plan with the Extra Value Pack, which is now $34 + $20. I also have one $3 pick-n-pay and a $2 Superstations pack added on, but when you combine all of this with their mandatory $6 multi-receiver warranty, my bill comes to about $73/month with tax.

I called SD in March to complain about the $4 price increase and after spending almost 1.5 hours on the phone with a Customer Relations rep from Montreal who kept telling me that there was nothing they could do since my account had already received too many credits in the past, right before I hung up, she finally relented and gave me a $5 discount for 6 months to offset the price increase.

This has really been the only issue I've had with Shaw Direct -- the constant price increases twice per year. I can understand that their expenses might be going up from acquiring new channels and equipment and that new satellite they just launched, but still. My internet bill has stayed at $50 for 4 years now with no price increases.

I've debated switching over to Bell, but I still can't justify it. The only positives I can see are that Bell seems to get the newest channels first (they've had channels like YTV HD, Teletoon HD, Disney XD HD for 2 years before Shaw just got them with this new Anik G1 satellite SD launched), and also that Bell has the better PVR in the 9400. But other than that... I don't like how Bell simsubs all of their channels, as opposed to SD who only seems to do it with Global and City. I don't like how Bell's customer service is extremely poor and that most of the time, it sounds like you're talking to an outsourced rep when calling them. I don't like how they charge you $2 for a paper bill (mind you, $2 for paper + $3 digital contribution fee comes out to the same as SD's mandatory $6 warranty fee).

And a few years ago, I was at a friend's house who had Bell, and the signal constantly dropped out even when it was only lightly raining outside. Now maybe their technology has improved in recent years, but at least from what I've encountered with SD, the signal only cuts out during a severe thunderstorm or when too much snow piles up on the dish itself.

My only options have always been either Bell or SD, and it's always been difficult in weighing the pros vs the cons. Do I sacrifice good customer service and only two channels being simsubbed, in exchange for getting better hardware and the newest channels first?

Then again, maybe with this new satellite, SD will launch more HD channels in the future to compete with Bell...

Sigh, tough choices... and for now, the only thing I can be sure of is that SD will institute another $3 price increase sometime this fall. Well, at least they clearly warn about the increases a month before they happen on my bill, instead of not telling anyone about them...

Tags
complaint , rant , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in