Shaw Direct Complaint, Rant, Leaving SD Thread - Page 17 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #241 of 651 (permalink) Old 2011-08-18, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stecle View Post
Dear Shawdirect,

Since you insist on substituting your own crappy self serving commercials over the American ones, can you at least put some effort into balancing the audio levels. My elderly grandparents have enough difficulty operating their system without being blasted out of their chair due to your substitution.
The CRTC was looking into this issue, as it is not just a Shaw Direct problem. Unfortunately the deadline to file a complaint has passed. You can read more here:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2011/2011-102.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 651 (permalink) Old 2011-08-19, 08:55 PM

Thumbs down New HD or Should I say Lack of new HD

I am becomeing frustrated with the "other sat compay" getting more HD chanels well we get nothing. Just a few days ago they added Discovery HD (not Discovery World that SD has) THey also have HD versions of KTLA,WSBK and a few others as well. Come-on SD stand and deliver,now not in a few years. Comeing Soon seems to be the order of the day here
post #243 of 651 (permalink) Old 2011-08-31, 03:13 AM
Rookie

Line down middle of Screen

Having a strange issue with my DVR530.

When I watch a standard def channel (doesn't seem to matter which one) a line appears and disappears in the exact centre of the screen. Seems to appear when it is one single colour in that area.

It does not appear on high def channels nor when I watch DVD/Blu-rays or even netflix so I'm guessing it has to be the DVR or the satellite signal.

Any ideas/solution would be appreciated.

Not a rant but couldn't find another thread that fit this.

post #244 of 651 (permalink) Old 2011-08-31, 12:36 PM
Veteran

I used to see this from time to time on my old 505, only on SD channels like you said. Switching from native (0000) to 1080i or 720p and then back to native usually got rid of the line temporarily.
It has been discussed here before, though it did not seem to be a widespread issue. The 500 series has been discontinued, and thus software enhancements will no longer be occurring. You could try calling customer service, ask to be transferred to customer relations, explain the issue and ask for a 630 upgrade. You might be able to get one quite cheaply. With MPEG4 on the horizon, you will need it anyway.
post #245 of 651 (permalink) Old 2011-08-31, 01:59 PM

I've had that problem before. You just need to do a soft reset (hold the power button on the receiver for 10 seconds and then release). This will get rid of the annoying line (at least for a while). If it comes back, just do another reset. Hope this helps.
post #246 of 651 (permalink) Old 2011-08-31, 09:11 PM
Rookie

Thanks

The soft reset worked.

Thanks for the tips.
post #247 of 651 (permalink) Old 2011-09-25, 05:53 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbcanada View Post
The CRTC was looking into this issue, as it is not just a Shaw Direct problem. Unfortunately the deadline to file a complaint has passed. You can read more here:

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2011/2011-102.htm
I contacted shaw today about this. The tech support told me that they have no control in the substituting of commercials even after I told them they are shaw cable commercials and are at least 10db higher than the regular channel. That made no sense since it is shaw putting thier commercials over the feed.
I asked them to at least stop substituing the american feeds with their shaw commercials and they stated they had no control over that, the crtc does. I again reminded him that they are shaw cable commercials that shaw put over the feed, just as Bell does with Bell commercials. We kept going in circles with this for some time. True case of insanity!
So in the end, still the audio level problems and substituted commercials that I don't want. Arrrrhhh!!!!
post #248 of 651 (permalink) Old 2011-09-30, 03:33 PM

For some reason the guide doesn't show new episodes of Franklin and Bash and Suits (on Bravo)as being new. they are missing the NEW tag, so they don't smart record NEW episodes.
post #249 of 651 (permalink) Old 2011-10-05, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs13 View Post
For some reason the guide doesn't show new episodes of Franklin and Bash and Suits (on Bravo)as being new. they are missing the NEW tag, so they don't smart record NEW episodes.
I don't know about Suits, but I can tell you that Franklin & Bash is not considered new because the original air dates in the EPG data are listed as June 2011 - when the episodes originally aired on TNT in the US. That's why they aren't being considered new episodes. I'd assume Suits falls into the same category.
post #250 of 651 (permalink) Old 2011-10-07, 02:25 PM

What a horrible company. Shaw is blaming the CRTC and I am blaming Shaw.

Shaw is stealing my money. Their customer service is horrible and the nerve they have after making me wait hours, days and weeks on end, with no follow up phone calls.

Well here it is. I bought the service two months ago for a few reasons. One is the home away from home service that they said to get in one month after service.

The other reason is for high def. First the theft I just discovered on their High Def. service and blatant lies on the setup. So I bought the essentials package with the gold additions. When I first signed up I was of the understanding that I would get the HD channels that come inside the SD essentials and the 7 gold addon packages. Finally I get my new pvr, set up and working. But can't find my HD channels for TSN and TSN two. I do have the essentials and the addon package sports for SD TSN2.

So the guy tells me i Have to pay extra to have that in HD, like another 7 bucks or so, plus tax. Of course I argue but he aint listening. So I have been paying all along for this crap and dealing with no call back and their eff ups and apparently to their CSR, i did not take their calls when they did call back. To quote their web site and what I was originally told about HD
Code:
Conditions for ALL HD Channels and Packages

Must have an HDTV, an HD receiver and an elliptical satellite dish to receive and view High Definition channels.

Conditions for No Extra Cost HD Channels

Must be subscribed to a package that includes English Essentials and equivalent standard-definition channel (if available) to receive ALL High Definition channels offered at no extra cost.
    NHL® Centre Ice™ games in HD are only available during hockey season.
    NFL Sunday Ticket™ and NFL™ RedZone games are only available during NFL football season.
But of course they will not fix this, they are a scam and have the nerve to blame the CRTC. I am not fan of the CRTC but it is just one scam outfit pointing the finger at the other scam outfit. Canada is the new USSR

Shame on you Shaw (of Canada) Direct. SHAME ON YOU!
post #251 of 651 (permalink) Old 2011-10-07, 02:38 PM

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Sharp LC75N8000U, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 9865
Quote:
no follow up phone calls.
Quote:
i did not take their calls when they did call back.
...makes a lot of sense.

57's Home Theatre (Latest equipment & photos)
post #252 of 651 (permalink) Old 2011-10-07, 02:41 PM

Sorry powrrplay

But you obviously did not do your homework. It is quite clear on their website and on their literature what HD channels come with their basic/essential packages. I have my complaints with SD but customer service is not one of them. It appears you have quoted one section of their documentation. Selectively quoting can make anything sound good or bad for that matter.

LONSat
post #253 of 651 (permalink) Old 2011-11-04, 09:51 AM
Rookie

the food network

i have been with shawdirect (old starchoice) for many years.
i just recently signed up for silver with 3 bundles, thinking i would get HGTV (which I do) and The FOOD NETWORK.
was so dissappointed that i cannot get The FOOD NETWORK.

my mom who has shaw cable has it. she has classic and 3 tiers. i watch it all the time when i am visiting her. it is on channel 15.

why does ShawDirect not have it? or if they do, where is it and what channel is it?

i do not need it in HD just regular. can you tell me if it is even available.
i read in the forum that it is a free preview everywhere, but i don't get it at all.
post #254 of 651 (permalink) Old 2011-11-04, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

Looked at the Shaw Direct Channel listing
http://www.shawdirect.ca/english/doc...09_07_11_e.pdf

and it appears Food Network is available in SD and HD on 561 and 184.

post #255 of 651 (permalink) Old 2011-11-04, 11:12 AM
Rookie

thanks hugh...i do have ch 561 but the content does not seem to be the same.
as when i was watching at my mom's. there were various people cooking and explaining how to make those recipes. did not find that on my ch 561.

could the foodnetwork on shawcable be different than shaw direct?

guess i will have to look at acutal tv listings for foodnetwork on shawcable and shawdirect to see if they are the same.

Tags
complaint , rant , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in