Shaw Direct Complaint, Rant, Leaving SD Thread - Page 16 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

post #226 of 651 (permalink) Old 2011-06-03, 01:46 PM

Disappointed with Shaw Direct's HD lineup

So I finally bought myself an HD TV last weekend. I already had a DSR505 receiver, so I was 'HD ready' as soon as I hooked up the new TV to the receiver (although I wish it had an HDMI output instead of component and DVI).

The picture quality is fine, but I'm disappointed with Shaw's HD channel lineup. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of HD channels with the Ontario Value Pack that I subscribe to. My parents and sister both have Rogers with HD cable boxes and they get way more HD channels than I do; for example CBC Newsworld (which for some strange reason still isn't available on Shaw, despite being carried on Rogers and Bell), TVO-HD, the various Sportsnet channels, TLC-HD, TSN-HD, etc. I get CNN-HD, the major US networks in HD, CBC-HD, CTV-HD, and Global-HD. What gives?

I would subscribe to Rogers, but it's not available in my area. Bell Expressvu is my only other option (well Cogeco is too, but the thought of that gives me shivers.) I already pay $55/month for Shaw Direct, yet I don't feel that it's worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #227 of 651 (permalink) Old 2011-06-03, 02:47 PM

You need to subscribe to a higher package and then you will get much more HD channels. Still not the volume of Rogers or Bell, but certainly more than anyone really needs.
post #228 of 651 (permalink) Old 2011-06-03, 03:12 PM

check out "digital indulgence" 48.99

"The quality of your question will directly effect the quality of your answer"

post #229 of 651 (permalink) Old 2011-06-03, 03:56 PM

I thought the net gain in going to "Digital Indulgence" from one of the Value Packs (with the extra add-on) was one more channel (Deja-View) and an additional $5 or $6 a month.

-- Retired TELUS Employee so I Don't Speak for TELUS --
post #230 of 651 (permalink) Old 2011-06-03, 05:09 PM

I don't think the Digital Indulgence package adds too many more HD channels than what I'm getting now. And my monthly bill will still come out to about the same when you add on taxes, etc.
post #231 of 651 (permalink) Old 2011-06-03, 08:20 PM
Veteran

Subscribe to the HD package for 10.99 more a month and you will get alot more HD like those sportsnet channels, A&E HD, TLC HD etc. Rogers you have to pay an extra 9.95 a month for A&E, TSN, the Western US net feeds and a couple of others so Rogers 64.99 VIP package becomes 74.99 when you add more HD. Shaw Direct is 49.00 for Indulgence and 10.99 for HD for a total of 59.99... still a whooping 15.00 cheaper than Rogers.

~Gary
Shaw Direct DSR 630 HDPVR w/Ontario Life | Aquos 46" 120Hz LCD TV | Watch Me!
post #232 of 651 (permalink) Old 2011-06-14, 01:57 PM

I ended up calling the Shaw Direct customer relations department and after haggling with them for a bit, and mentioning that I was thinking of moving to Bell Expressvu, I got a new receiver (DSR 605) for $50 + a trade-in on my DSR 505, and Shaw's HD Sports package for half price.

Not bad I guess. Maybe if I haggled some more I could have got a DSR 630, but I already have a PVR, albeit it doesn't do HD.
post #233 of 651 (permalink) Old 2011-07-18, 08:54 AM
Rookie

avoid shaw at all cost!!!!

Hi
we switched to shaw in February and have had problem with their equipment ever since, we switched back to bell, they wanted the equipment back that we paid over 500 for or they will bill the account 200 for it on top of the money we paid, when we bought the eqipment they said no contracts etc but now they say that if you cancel before a year is up you have to send back the equipment or get billed 200 avoid this company at all cost.
post #234 of 651 (permalink) Old 2011-07-18, 09:11 AM
Veteran

The 200 pays for the dish and installation - very reasonable IMO. Try cancelling Bell early and see how much they charge you.
post #235 of 651 (permalink) Old 2011-07-18, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Member #1

pattilynn, did you read the details? Is the $200 not for the dish and installation?

post #236 of 651 (permalink) Old 2011-07-18, 11:37 AM

Location: VancouverBC/PV Shaw Sat 600-630 Cable Internet, Telus Landline, Rogers PayGo, Bell Mobility, Netflix
At the time I bought my 530 from The Source, the discounts and installation were clearly for a minimum 12 month commitment. Your issue may be with the retailer in not disclosing. Have you tried them yet?
post #237 of 651 (permalink) Old 2011-07-18, 04:22 PM
Veteran

Everyone should always read the terms of service. I can not stress how important this is. The 12 month commitment comes from the equipment initially being sold at a subsidized price, thus time is needed to recoup that cost, otherwise Shaw ends up potentially losing money by having you as a customer.
post #238 of 651 (permalink) Old 2011-08-14, 05:09 PM

2011 NFL Sunday Ticket Frustration

IMO, SD has not done loyal NFL Sunday Ticket fans any service this year. They announce, with 1 month left before the season starts that they are going to MPEG4 format for this broadcast, so you have to upgrade your receivers to 600 series. For me, this brought up the following issues, which are being discussed on other threads.
1) The SD techs tell you that you must have RG6 coax all the way from the dish to the receiver. That's a problem for us using RG59 coax in our walls. Thanks to this board and an honest installer, I've learned that isn't the case.
2) The 605 doesn't have reoccurring presets, which is a huge pain for me, as I use DVD recorders with HDD. A PVR would be a nightmare to install because of the forementioned RG59 coax in the walls and needing a 2nd line.
3) I'm reading on other threads that there has been some issues with recording content onto a DVD recorder using a 600 series receiver.
So, IMO, SD has made this way to hard for those of us who just want to watch the games, as I've done every year since they offered NFL Sunday Ticket. Right now, I'm leaning towards upgrading only 1 of the 4 receivers we have because there are just too many potential problems that I've read about for me to feel confident about upgrading all. I'll only upgrade the one if SD gives a really sweet deal on the upgrade, based on 10 years of loyal ownership and bragging about their service to everyone.
In general, we've been happy with SD and their customer service. This change is the first notable exception to that position.

Last edited by 57; 2011-08-14 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Dups.
post #239 of 651 (permalink) Old 2011-08-15, 12:53 PM

Just a quick update. SD called me today and offered me a new 605 for $50. I did not have to return any of my receivers to get this price. They charge it as $200 on the bill and then imediately issue a credit for $150 because of the technical concerns I had. I have to say that's not a bad deal. Net new 605 for $50.
post #240 of 651 (permalink) Old 2011-08-18, 10:42 AM

Substitution

Dear Shawdirect,

Since you insist on substituting your own crappy self serving commercials over the American ones, can you at least put some effort into balancing the audio levels. My elderly grandparents have enough difficulty operating their system without being blasted out of their chair due to your substitution.

Tags
complaint , rant , shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in